Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, strawhat said:

So, today I discovered a...shortcut...to the basement at Pa Strawhat's house.  I don't recommend the experience.

1655797240_BasementShortcut.gif.45944ab0e649379339f9081805b30755.gif

I mean, I know I'm a chunk (350 lbs, 25 stone, 158 kg--or thereabouts), but that isn't supposed to happen.

Nothing more than a few scrapes and scratches to me--more shock than harm, and I'd much rather it was me than Pa Strawhat. 

Pa Strawhat (well into his 70s) claims he has the reflexes of a cat, though, and would have been fine.  :unsure:  I'm a little less confident.

Is that the reflexes of a cat well into its 70s?

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Rarer still, the elusive VCR cleaning cassette tape! I haven't seen one of those in almost 20 years, though I see a VCR in my basement daily.

I think I threw one out when I moved house about 3 years ago. Haven't had a VCR for about 16 years (left it behind when I moved out of my parents' house).

• Like 6

17 hours ago, TGP said:

I think I see the problem. And Nope, it is not that personnel involved were at least 25 stone. 

Check this picture:

image.jpeg.db75e2cd0a9633227a677747d7975e41.jpeg
This is what the rough in carpentry should look like for stairs. Big sturdy 2x8s or 2x10s at each edge of the stair and straight down the middle. With notches cut in them for each riser.  Not seeing evidence of proper structure in your picture. 

The steps in the house are under 36".  That seems to be the cutoff point from my admittedly limited research (something like two whole google searches and a microdream wherein an illustration of a set of stairs turned itself into a doughnut and called me "chonky").   But I tell ya, I wish it had been there.  Actually, I think if there had a been a piece of 1x2 attached to the stringer that the incident would not have occurred.  I might go back and check out the treads another day to see if I can't figure out what the deal was.  I didn't exactly pay a lot of attention to the debris as I was attempting to get off the floor and out of the storage area.

15 hours ago, haldir said:

Well at least you made your Perception check & didn't fall d6 x 10 feet damage!

I took 10...unfortunately that was while I was on the stair that collapsed....Ooops.  But it was less than 10', anyway, and I'm at least fourth level.  I can lose 6 hp without much worry.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

Is that the reflexes of a cat well into its 70s?

I asked Pa Strawhat something similar once.  He was as amused as you might expect him to be.

What can I say?  Being a wise-acre runs in the family.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TripleH said:

Perfectly legal, but one wonders what your janitorial service did to raise your ire as they are the ones stuck with cleaning up.

Only reason I haven't set any off at my work, yet.

I was the janitorial staff. Compared to some of the messes (High school) a glitter bomb would have been at least somewhat amusing. Teachers, by far, worse than students for "the janitor will clean that up" Had me and my boss not parted ways, there is one teacher who I might have just closed the door on their room and walked away, see if they got the message. 

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

We have a semi reasonable amount of them here in our national parks, especially around Jasper.  It took a few years, but they did reduce animal and vehicle collisions in the areas they were built. 

Even more towards Banff, and points west. First time i saw one I was a bit confused, and then it all made sense. Great ideas, and I think more places should have them if they have a mix of traffic and wildlife.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Alright, just got this guy and he's already got me stumped. Not sure where he's from, but stamped on the bottom is MAC or HAC and '98.

20220322_174549.thumb.jpg.05e36947da077d4397aab4590c715e28.jpg20220322_174617.thumb.jpg.fb13fb962114937010d37fa80389f9df.jpg20220322_174638.thumb.jpg.1cac50b3392df53370ef99118bef0c23.jpg

That's a Warzone/Mutant Chronicles figure, made by Heartbreaker miniatures.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Crap, my mom just reminded me, I've got to help my dad move his dad into a ast living place that is more secure & is more in line with Alzheimer's help. He is 92 or 93 & currently in a ast living home, but the help is far from what you'd call help, so mom & dad decided to re-locate him to this new place. We've just been waiting on the state to approve some things with the place & other items. Any other day I'd be ok with, but of course it had to be on a Weds. Sigh.

I guess I better crash now, cause I have no idea when I'll go to sleep tomorrow, thanks to the FLGS game that night & work tonight. Fun day ahead tomorrow!!!

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Alright, just got this guy and he's already got me stumped. Not sure where he's from, but stamped on the bottom is MAC or HAC and '98.

20220322_174549.thumb.jpg.05e36947da077d4397aab4590c715e28.jpg20220322_174617.thumb.jpg.fb13fb962114937010d37fa80389f9df.jpg20220322_174638.thumb.jpg.1cac50b3392df53370ef99118bef0c23.jpg

I think it's a Praetorian Stalker from Prodos' attempt to resurrect Mutant Chronicles.

The year doesn't seem like it should be right, though.  But that's not an IP I know much about.  

And.. @Chaoswolf beats me to the punch while I'm double-checking my research (and still coming up partially incorrect)...

Edited by strawhat
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Legit question here: Who was thinking of running the ergonomics while painting seminar at RCon? Turns out it's not work that's killing my back, it's my paint table. Tips and tricks desperately needed!

Wooden blocks. 

(The Wooden Blocks go under the table legs —one per leg.)

Step 2) Did that solve the problem?

If not, add another four(?) blocks and raise the table higher by another block thickness.  Return to step 2, and recheck. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's a Warzone/Mutant Chronicles figure, made by Heartbreaker miniatures.

1 hour ago, strawhat said:

I think it's a Praetorian Stalker from Prodos' attempt to resurrect Mutant Chronicles.

The year doesn't seem like it should be right, though.  But that's not an IP I know much about.  

And.. @Chaoswolf beats me to the punch while I'm double-checking my research (and still coming up partially incorrect)...

Thank you, both of you. I appreciate the help identifying him.

.................................................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand since I already have you here, what do you make of these guy? They were mentioned as possibly Traveller, but there's no maker's mark on the bottom.

20220322_192830.thumb.jpg.5129d84f91c14710559da6a2c28dc036.jpg20220322_192912.thumb.jpg.22e12d52683091aa62a28c7ecc13ae7d.jpg

• Like 9