Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

<sigh>
Some people don't listen. 

Site that is still on dial up with an analog modem went down, and is begging for emergency help. 

Ever since my analog modem on my primary PC failed 18 months ago, the only way I can do dial up remote access is by dragging out an old Win XP laptop, and waiting the 30 minutes it takes to get booted up - something that I  will only do by appointment and that I charge for (set up time, dial in time AND clean up time).  Every customer still on dial up at that point (less than 2 dozen) was notified this would be the case, and was recommended to upgrade to network/internet.   Only 3 customers bothered. 

The earliest I can book an appointment for them is Tuesday.

I TOLD YOU SO. I TOLD YOU SO. I TOLD YOU SO. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

It is national chocolate covered raisin day, national cheesesteak day, AND national cocktail day; sounds like a party to me!

Again, I’m certain to fail on two out of those three. (It’s just not my day—again.)

Doesn’t sound like a bad party though. 

• Like 5

Welp, the bastard ex that assaulted me on my 21st is back in prison.

Not sure how I feel about it, don't know why he's back in the can, but I do know that Grump is bringing beer and flowers home with him.

I can live with it.

• Like 13
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

So I kept an email in a safe folder for over a year in case I needed the map that was in it. Last week I decided it was okay to move it to a permanent storage folder. 

Now I can’t find it. 

Three cube farms ago I had a bossling who made a habit of checking the email accounts of all of his people, not reading them—he didn’t have that access level—but he could and would check the size (storage on the disk) of the account and then he’d harangue us in meetings to delete old emails. 

He held meetings weekly. Bosslings need their standing weekly meeting to feel boss-like, I guess. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

The earliest I can book an appointment for them is Tuesday.

Tell them (just them) “Good News Everyone!” (as in professor Farnsworth) that you could…

Book an appointment after normal working hours and inform them it will be billed at time and a half, plus the emergency fee, and rush charges. :devil:

Can one even buy a dialup modem anymore??

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Three cube farms ago I had a bossling who made a habit of checking the email accounts of all of his people, not reading them—he didn’t have that access level—but he could and would check the size (storage on the disk) of the account and then he’d harangue us in meetings to delete old emails. 

Oh he and I would have clashed heads.  I have on archive just about every email I've ever sent or received. 

I keep emails because of the "paper trail."   Can't count anymore how many times that's saved my bacon.  I've had people get pissed at me over producing an old email that proved what they or I actually said. 

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Tell them (just them) “Good News Everyone!” (as in professor Farnsworth) that you could…

Book an appointment after normal working hours and inform them it will be billed at time and a half, plus the emergency fee, and rush charges. :devil:

LOL!

Yes, you can still buy dial up modems, but it's harder and harder to find ones that will work with newer PCs AND connect reliably to the equipment I service.  The last one I bought was the result of several months of buying various modems, then testing them until I found one that worked. That was just before I moved here to Iowa, so about 5 years ago. When it failed last year, I had several conversations with my client on whether or not I should bother going through that again. The decision not to was made, then as I was writing the letter to our remaining dial up customers, one of them had a problem that we had to figure out how to solve. That's when I remembered the old Win XP laptop I have.   Since I was able to solve that customer's problem that way, the powers that be said to just do it that way in the future. 

I personally can't believe these people still on dial up tolerate it.  I harangued one site owner for years to upgrade, pointing out that he had spent 3x more in a year on the extra billable service hours than it would have cost him to upgrade all of his sites.   Finally there was one issue that would have cost him twice as much to do via dial up as via internet, and was the same cost as upgrading to internet, so I put my foot down and said "You're going to upgrade this site to internet now, then I will fix your issue for free."  He pissed and moaned, but gave in, since he was going to spend the same money anyway.  Two weeks after that, he saw the difference, and upgraded his other sites. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I feel certain there are multiple vendors on Big River and the Bay of E who will be happy to sell you such a device, without warranty or representation of functionality.  Finding a working dial-up modem with a warranty may incur exorbitant fees for the "gotta have it" factor.

If it gets to that point, I'd go for a "New In Box" unit and bill the customers accordingly.  If it requires the acquisition and testing of multiple units to find one that will function with newer hardware and software  all of the time involved needs to be billed for, with a deposit paid in advance before the search is even undertaken.

This level of technological stupidity should be made as financially painful as possible.

It's similar to the ATMs that are still running on Windows 95 to XP software.  I will have no sympathy for the Banks when somebody figures out how to jackpot these obsolete and insecure systems.

-

I just had a thought:  I wonder how many of @kristof65 customers are still depending on 3G?  They are going to be up the output canal from the sewage treatment plant without a means of propulsion very shortly.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
Tentacles
  • Like 6

There was a thread on ENWorld discussing one of the upcoming Marvel characters - apparently, they're doing something with Nova - and somebody didn't know who that was.

Someone replied that Nova was on some list of the top 200 most popular superheroes or something like that.

Someone else asked who the hell could even name 100 superheroes...

So of  course the next post was a list of 99 other superheroes.

To which I immediately rattled off another sixty-six off the top of my head, six of whom had been in the Marvel movies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9