Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look! The Swedes were invited, and they brought TOYS! 

(Well, 4 jets... Big boys toys) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4CiEWe3nZQ      

What was they invited to?   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ZY2H0x8o4

Cold Response is one of the largest multinational military exercises. It's really supposed to be a NATO party, but Swedes and Finns were also invited as 'Partners'. 

Even the US marines showed up with Harriers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wI3RXlofC8

Sidewinders... 

Don't ask how many I assembled, or disassembled during my time in the RNoAF. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

@kristof65 is it a matter of just not having data, for whatever use, or is it that they don’t get paid from the credit company if they don’t have the data? Curious to how panicked they should really be. 

It is about some money due. 

The system has it's own built in fleet card system. This allows sites to run their own branded "credit" card, similar to a department store card - IE, they issue a card to a customer, the customer uses it, then (usually monthly) the site runs the invoices, and bills the customers. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.  It can also do prepaid cards, like gift cards - customer pays the site for a card, a balance is assigned to it, and the customer can use it until it runs out and even reload it if the site has the right equipment.  This is completely separate from the true credit card processing portion of the system. 

For small sites without a lot of volume, it's a LOT cheaper than all of the fees required for getting those private branded cards through a true credit card merchant processor. It's a bit more expensive up front, but with this system, the site pays up front for the system and cards, and doesn't pay another cent beyond their own labor (well, unless they need repairs, help with a problem or upgrades - stuff like that.)  When they run fleet or gift cards through a merchant processor, they generally wind up paying lots of different fees - setup fees for each new account, fees to run duplicate invoices, and the worst - a percentage fee each time a card is used.  With a lot of competitors systems, even though they're priced lower, it only takes a couple of years for those extra fees to surpass the overall cost of this one. 

I don't know how many of these post paid fleet accounts this site had, nor the balance due to them, but apparently no one ran their January or February invoices and billed their customers  before they pulled the system out. 

This is a small site in a small town, so I doubt it was more than a few hundred dollars outstanding. 

Still, to some people, that can be a lot of money. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

@kristof65 is it a matter of just not having data, for whatever use, or is it that they don’t get paid from the credit company if they don’t have the data? Curious to how panicked they should really be. 

As a former small business owner I would be concerned with th tax implications.

It would be necessary ,without accurate reports, to estimate income, and therefore the amount of tax to be remitted with a quarterly filing.  In order not to incur a penalty it will require overestimating and overpaying the taxes due.

GEM

Then again, people who run their business in this careless/sloppy a manner may not be overly concerned about such matters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Then again, people who run their business in this careless/sloppy a manner may not be overly concerned about such matters.

I find there is a lot of this in the Car Wash industry. 

Which is really sad, because as businesses that can deal with a lot of cash, car washes often get extra scrutiny from the IRS looking for money laundering (see Walter White/Breaking Bad).  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I find there is a lot of this in the Car Wash industry. 

Which is really sad, because as businesses that can deal with a lot of cash, car washes often get extra scrutiny from the IRS looking for money laundering (see Walter White/Breaking Bad).  

Having been in an all cash business [Coin operated equipment including amusements and vending machines] I'm very aware of how certain businesses can attract extra scrutiny and the necessity for absolutely bulletproof bookkeeping standards and practices.

Audits are no fun.  One would think that the people with Car Washes would be pro-active in trying not to get audited.  It sounds like from the tales you regale us with that some of them are waving an "Audit Me" banner in the direction of both the IRS and state taxing authorities.

GEM

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I thought it was duct tape?

I've heard it's Gaffers tape....:rock:

57 minutes ago, Corsair said:

image.png.ce02a4fb0b6f25f51474b5a7326ed887.png

& if the bear was successful, probably the burrito was born too!!

• Haha 11

well

I'm supposed to be working on our property this week

two minor problems...
1) It's been raining....and raining...and raining (273mm/11" yesterday)

2) Due to above there's flooding between where my accommodation is and where our property is

so I'm just going to sleep today

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Better make it a McDouble.

I thought it was duct tape?

JB Weld takes over at the point where it's more economical than duct tape.

I've seen the Mythbusters episodes where they uses cases of duct tape on a project.  Very impressive, but, practical?  Not so much.

GEM

13 minutes ago, haldir said:

I've heard it's Gaffers tape....:rock:

& if the bear was successful, probably the burrito was born too!!

The strongest version of duct tape,  Commercially available in a similar product marketed by the people who market Gorilla Brand products.

If you need something stronger then you need a fiberglass reinforced tape, in which case the issue becomes failure of the glue/bonding agent.

GEM

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Follow up to this call:

Customer: Is there any way to get the data without the unit? 

Me: Did you make any backups before you removed it?

Customer: No, do you have any?

Me: One from 3 years ago. That does not cover the 2022 YTD you're looking for

Customer: So without the unit, we can't get the data?

Me: Correct. 

Customer: What about X?

Me: No

Customer: What about Y?

Me: No. Can you retrieve the unit? 

Customer: Well, we were getting the information from online when it was installed. Can we get a copy of that? 

Me: No, when it was installed, you were connecting the control unit, and getting the information from it.  It was never online.
Customer:  Why wasn't it online?

Me: Security - online systems require far more security. 

Customer: So without that unit, we can't get the data? 

Me: That is correct.

Customer: Well what are we supposed to do? 

Me: You'll have to retrieve the unit. 

Customer: But we don't have the unit. 

I know it is rare these days that data can still be tied to a physical device, but man, she just isn't getting it. 

Megan worked fr a bookstore that had to recover a POS (either meaning of the acronym) from the dumpster - it still had security data on it.

On the other hand, I worked for a nonprofit that took the memory cards out of their photocopiers and burned them before tossing the worn out machines. (This was a good thing - you might be surprised at just how much information is compromised by people not knowing that modern copiers store the data.... And the nonprofit had ties to the Department of Human Services....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Relaxing this evening to the gentle sounds of a helicopter in the air overhead and a megaphone down the street saying "this is the police, come out with your hands in the air." 

Details at 11. 

7 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Andi's doing a little better; he's going stir-crazy, a little (the care package I took him yesterday included his laptop and his Switch, but he's got itchy feet and they won't let him go outside), but he's leaking like a sieve (this is a GOOD thing, in this specific case!). He's complaining about the food, too; 

When hospital food tastes bad it's time to go home.   Glad to hear things are looking up on the home front.  Would be nice if he could go home to running water. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2