1/4 cup soy sauce, preferably Kikkoman’s

1 tbsp. dried parsley

1 1/2 tsp. dried basil

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

2 1/2 lb. ground chuck

1/4 lb. Swiss cheese

6 6-inch hoagie rolls

PREPARATION

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.

Dice the onion and add it to a skillet over high heat with ¼ cup of water and soy sauce. Add herbs and garlic powder and cook for 5 minutes, or until liquid is mostly reduced. Add beef and continue to simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain off fat.

Split the rolls. Slather them with sauce, and put cheese on top. Place them under the broiler until cheese melts, 1-2 minutes. Heap ground beef on each sandwich and serve.

Recipe from Al and Houston Hodges of Hoody’s Hoagies in Claxton, Georgia

Special thanks to Brandon Chonko of Grassroots Farms in Reidsville for the tip.

Chef's Tip

This recipe makes more sauce than you’ll need for just one round of manna sandwiches.

( G.R.F.F.N Notes: Thus turned up in my Bookeyface feed. It’s basically, meat, cheese, and sauce; on bread. )

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I know, I'm not ready for it to be Monday either, but hiding from it and not posting in the randomness thread isn't going to prevent it from happening.

Let's have a great week, everyone.

CHARGE!

Neglect is due to a combination of the Fathom Events - Turner Classic Movies Big Screen Presentation of the 70th Anniversary of the Classic Movie "Singin' In The Rain", prompting a Sunday Evening Dinner and a Movie night for SWMBO and myself.

I've seen this movie on the small screen multiple times but this is the first time the way it was intended.  Great move, small but wonderful audience.  Surprisingly large number of 20 and 30 year olds, who got all the gags.

-

Listening to weather report while the wind rattles the house, prediction is for 60 to 70 mile an hour winds for today, up to a foot of new snow in the Sierras, and currently, multiple accidents on I-80 over the Sierra.

Everything in Northern Nevada is currently in bloom and is trying to pollinate my eyes and nose.  Even with eye drops this Green Eyed Monster has raging red eyes and a nose that has has turned into a water works.

GERM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 5

Eh, Monday started off badly within the first 15 minutes. Elder beagle is going in for a dental cleaning/surgery Tuesday but had a toothache last night and couldn’t get comfortable so didn’t let us sleep. Finally got him to settle by sleeping on the couch with him.  That kept me up until 1am. 

Then I take my lovely wife to see an ENT for her chronic sinus infection. She’s been stopped up  since October and is in constant suffering. Why has it taken so long? Stubbornness. She felt it was something that she could get over in a week or two. 

Hopefully, both medical events will be smooth sailing.

• Sad 13

16 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

55892447_2126266430827063_686011959136485376_n.jpg.f9517c851367cbab24fc0879fa64c4a1.jpg

Sad to say my mother is like this when it comes to animals, hers & others.....:blink:

Weather has taken a 180 here. Winter like weather, no snow (surprise!) but we did have rain this morning & of course the Hell Winds from the West we get now. Seems to have calm down now, but still a crappy day outside & best to stay inside.

They are waxing the floors at work & of course the workers are complete idiots. They are suppose to be working off a schedule for the store, so I went in a hour early last night to get ahead of them as they come in a bit earlier then I normally do. So, I'm up 4 or 5 aisles on them when they ring the bell. I do one more aisle & come around the end & I noticed they have the other side of the store caution tape'd off!! (WTF!) Actually this shouldn't be a surprise as they never work off a schedule & just do their own thing. I ended up only missing one aisle when facing up the aisles & it was a small frozen food aisle. Gotta put up with them tonight as well, hopefully they have the aisles that I need to do done as they are only putting on quick coats vs total stripping.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

interesting weather this morning....  A lightning strike hit the local power transformer and blew it to pieces.  the detonation was loud enough to shake the house from 2 blocks away.  Good morning Monday, nice to see you off to a good start!

Power was restored an hour ahead of predicted repair time so Kudos to the local repair crews!

• Like 10
  • Sad 3

Trade you. We got SNOW.

Not much, granted, but I was awake around four AM for Reasons (tm), and lo, it was SNOWING.

.... and I wasn't dreaming, because it was still there when I got up. Melting, because it's warmed up, but... SNOW. In Washington. In APRIL, for dog's sake! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Sad to say my mother is like this when it comes to animals, hers & others.....:blink:

Weather has taken a 180 here. Winter like weather, no snow (surprise!) but we did have rain this morning & of course the Hell Winds from the West we get now. Seems to have calm down now, but still a crappy day outside & best to stay inside.

4 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Trade you. We got SNOW.

Not much, granted, but I was awake around four AM for Reasons (tm), and lo, it was SNOWING.

.... and I wasn't dreaming, because it was still there when I got up. Melting, because it's warmed up, but... SNOW. In Washington. In APRIL, for dog's sake! 

Same thing will be happening here soon. Had a dusting of snow this morning, but the report said that a mega-blizzard will be coming in with parts of the province getting up to 50 cm (20 inches) of snow and winds up to 90 km/h (56mph). I only work 3 days this week and drive 2 of them, but it may be that I might have to cancel my runs if the weather is super bad.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Same thing will be happening here soon. Had a dusting of snow this morning, but the report said that a mega-blizzard will be coming in with parts of the province getting up to 50 cm (20 inches) of snow and winds up to 90 km/h (56mph). I only work 3 days this week and drive 2 of them, but it may be that I might have to cancel my runs if the weather is super bad.

We're getting the midwest version tonight: severe thunderstorms with potential for hail, damaging wind and tornadoes.  This storm will be moving east in a line from the gulf to the great lakes, bringing severe weather on Wednesday to many states.  Yay Spring.  Time to check the batteries in your emergency kit. 

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Trade you. We got SNOW.

29 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Been snowing on the Sierra Nevada from before dawn, chain control from just west of Reno to the west side of the Sierras on I-80 and US-50.  Multiple wrecks both directions.

Locally, we're getting high winds and it's supposed to drop down into mid 20s overnight.  US-395 is shut down to all high profile vehicles because of the winds.

Neighbor behind us stripped his entire lot down to bare ground last fall, it's all now blowing away and visibility is down to less than an eighth of a mile from the blowing dust on that side of house.  He's probably going to end up with sandblasted windshields on his vehicles, and possibly the same for the neighbors to the east as well.  Fortunately, our vehicles are on the lee side of our house, which is the north side.

Somehow, I am reminded of the Chinese proverb/curse "May you live in interesting times.".

GEM

Who has the HVAC system running on fan full time just to filter all the dust and pollen.

• Sad 10

First day at the new job complete. Wasn't much to it other than orientation: hearing about the history, filling out paperwork, getting snippets of what the next 6 days will cover and be like. I had originally been told it would be a full two weeks, but apparently they are so desperate to get people on the lines that they shortened it to a 7 day orientation/boot camp before you get sent to the plant for one-on-one training.

Sure was nice to only have driven 10 minutes, and only do an 8-hour shift. Really happy about that. Definitely weird having lunch at 10:30 in the morning, but that will change once I start second shift (which I presume is next week). Most dangerous aspect of orientation: free sodas. They have cold cases in the cafeteria filled with them that you can just take. Old job kept me off the caffeine-sauce as I didn't want to take my particulate mask off and risk breathing in powder just for a sip of something (or breathing in all the covid that was going around that place). But now I don't have that to worry about, I can quickly take my mask off for a quick swig while no one else is too close. Dangerous perk.

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

First day at the new job complete. Wasn't much to it other than orientation: hearing about the history, filling out paperwork, getting snippets of what the next 6 days will cover and be like. I had originally been told it would be a full two weeks, but apparently they are so desperate to get people on the lines that they shortened it to a 7 day orientation/boot camp before you get sent to the plant for one-on-one training.

Sure was nice to only have driven 10 minutes, and only do an 8-hour shift. Really happy about that. Definitely weird having lunch at 10:30 in the morning, but that will change once I start second shift (which I presume is next week). Most dangerous aspect of orientation: free sodas. They have cold cases in the cafeteria filled with them that you can just take. Old job kept me off the caffeine-sauce as I didn't want to take my particulate mask off and risk breathing in powder just for a sip of something (or breathing in all the covid that was going around that place). But now I don't have that to worry about, I can quickly take my mask off for a quick swig while no one else is too close. Dangerous perk.

Watch out for those insidious calories.

When I was truck driving I managed to accumulate close to 50 pounds from Mountain Dew and Coca Cola.  Of course, sitting for up to eleven hours of driving ever day didn't help.

Hope you find the new job as enjoyable as the first day.

GEM

• Like 6