Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

8 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Monument Pro Acryl- Nice and bright, but thin. Almost as good as Pure White. Bottle nozzles are a bit of a pain.

Then again, I'm slightly biased because my paint collection is 90% Reaper and 10% Pro Acryl. YMMV :poke:

I'm also about 90/10 for Reaper and Pro Acryl. For the Pro Acryl stuff they do sell dropper tips that are vastly superior to what comes on it originally. Kinda a pain that they don't just use those to begin with but worth every penny.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2022 at 10:17 AM, Sylverthorne said:

... now I'm afraid to wonder what the heck they actually learn with a liberal arts degree.

I learned a lot of interesting stuff about a great many things, but nothing in particular about any one subject. It was a fun 2-year degree for someone who, at one point or another, had considered the merits of pretty much every career on the planet. And off of it too; astronaut was duly considered more than once. :lol: 

On 3/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, kristof65 said:

Well crap.  I just got stumped by a problem that turned out to be of my own making, and had to ask the engineer for help. 

Worst part is that I discovered it about 1 minute before he told me what he found. 

It was a typo - 18 was where a 17 should have been

I laughed only because I've been there myself, most recently was on Friday.

I'm writing a desk reference for how to do a Thing, and I like to double-check all my steps as I'm writing to make sure my instructions actually work. Part of Thing involves scanning documents on the copier/fax machine/scanner at the front desk. So, I ran down there and quickly scanned a test page into my electronic scan folder, and ran back up to my office, ready to add that step to the desk reference.

Except the test page wasn't in my scan folder.

Puzzled, I went back downstairs and discovered an error message on the machine that I missed because I left too fast, the kind it throws when a scan folder isn't set up properly. So I tried it again, same result. Even more puzzled, I tried this on another similar machine upstairs, and just to be thorough, also on my personal scanner hooked directly to my computer, grumbling the whole time that IT must have "fixed" something and broke the scan folders. When even my scanner couldn't find the folder, I decided to look at the folder itself.

...I had totally forgotten that, in a mad fit of cleanliness the previous day, I'd gone through and organized my entire personal folder on the network drive, which is where my scan folder is located. As is my habit, I'd added a number before each folder to sort them according to how often I access them. Sure enough, I'd added a 4 to the front of my Scanned Documents folder, which changed/broke the path address that the scanners were looking for. Deleting the 4 immediately fixed it, and I mentally apologized to our IT for grumbling at them for something I broke all on my own. :lol: 

On 4/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, haldir said:

& now it's hailing. Small bite size ones, not those golf ball destroying ones at least.

Crazy weather........

Yep, we had a helping of the same. Our garage is currently inhabited by all of our mobile garden plants, including all of our fruit trees (they are in very large pots). Given that several of the trees are in bloom, and we want to make sure we have delicious fruits later in the year, we got to pretend to be bees. I had several cheap paintbrushes on hand that I could donate to the cause.

On 4/11/2022 at 3:08 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Just to change things up a bit, our storm is coming up from the States, rather than vice-versa.

...You're welcome? :huh:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

the cats were helping with easter.
It a good thing we lock the orange one up at night, he totally would have jumped the easter bunny.
He was checking eggs to see if there was anything he could eat in them. 

Our black cat is a spotter - he would have sat very still and watched the easter bunny hide eggs around the house.  Using his body language to point out prey, in case someone else wanted to do something about it (he is very helpful when ants, flies or spiders enter the house) 

Photo of their instinct actions: 

easter cats.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6
  • Haha 10

9 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Yep, we had a helping of the same. Our garage is currently inhabited by all of our mobile garden plants, including all of our fruit trees (they are in very large pots). Given that several of the trees are in bloom, and we want to make sure we have delicious fruits later in the year, we got to pretend to be bees

I hope you take a picture of this and add it to the gardening for all thread. 

And, Happy Easter @OneBoot !

• Like 6

Made it back from Norway just fine late on Friday. I was nervous about the required Covid test, but luckily it was negative, even though my brother and his wife had covid the week before I saw them.  It was really great hanging out with my dad for 10 days. 

• Like 20

Ah the joys of having “the knack” and just enough electrical engineering knowledge to be dangerous! 

Our air frier died. Being an engineer, that means … well, not sure what. I’d say autopsy, but that’s for people. It wasn’t alive, so wasn’t a necropsy. Let’s go with evasive destructive investigation. Normally, you’d want an NDI (non destructive investigation), but since I bent all the fan blades beyond all reparability, it was time to break out the Dremel!

And as I thought, as power wasn’t getting to the circuit card, it was something along the power line. A thermal switch! Six bucks to buy a new one. But already told the wife to get a new frier instead.

Now, part of me is sad that, in theory, I could fix it, another part of me says it was at the end of life. The oven wasn’t being used at an incredibly high temp so something went wrong and would continue to go wrong. Eh. 

Embrace the result!

65B7DC2A-AF2B-4EE4-82DF-7D18EC534342.thumb.jpeg.90ce0870c2fe520f338bd580f046f437.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Ah the joys of having “the knack” and just enough electrical engineering knowledge to be dangerous! 

Our air frier died. Being an engineer, that means … well, not sure what. I’d say autopsy, but that’s for people. It wasn’t alive, so wasn’t a necropsy. Let’s go with evasive destructive investigation. Normally, you’d want an NDI (non destructive investigation), but since I bent all the fan blades beyond all reparability, it was time to break out the Dremel!

And as I thought, as power wasn’t getting to the circuit card, it was something along the power line. A thermal switch! Six bucks to buy a new one. But already told the wife to get a new frier instead.

Now, part of me is sad that, in theory, I could fix it, another part of me says it was at the end of life. The oven wasn’t being used at an incredibly high temp so something went wrong and would continue to go wrong. Eh. 

Embrace the result!

65B7DC2A-AF2B-4EE4-82DF-7D18EC534342.thumb.jpeg.90ce0870c2fe520f338bd580f046f437.jpeg

As a fellow engineer... Looks good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Neices got in last night. Spent a chunk of today painting. 14 yo did this:20220417_145623.thumb.jpg.95fbf8d5ac52c78d35883187fcb3a340.jpg

Her eyes are better than most of the ones I do. 😅

10 yo did this:

20220417_145751.thumb.jpg.8db25711bba0ac460cc5e5d4d5c9b92b.jpg

I painted on the commission a little and started a mousling from Bones 5. No pictures from my stuff yet.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1