Jump to content

Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye


Recommended Posts

Welp. I spaced. I decided I'd mess around with my finger nails. I'm trying to figure out how to do them for vow renewal this summer. Kinda forgot I needed to paint more today. Did not remember until I was trimming them down and Husband mentioned that they needed to be short enough that I could paint...

 

ETA: They were already glued on at that point so no gong back really.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

 

Without the little dinos, you'd never get the big ones. 😉

 

Growing pains in the new job. Hands are not happy with me, sore and needing ice, but it was expected to happen at some point. Lots of hand exercises to stretch and strengthen... and ice. We finally had almost a full 8 hours of production last night, enough parts came in so I finally got a feel for what a "normal" shift feels like. No regrets switching jobs; I've been able to spend more time with family (including canine companions) than in at the old job, and I don't miss the drive one bit.

 

Painting will definitely have to wait until the hands are accustomed to everything.

You are probably going to need to re-calibrate your handshake, particularly with the elderly and those of a delicate/petite form.

GEM

In the interim, Icy/Hot or similar will be your friend.  Comes in may forms, including a balm, the empty pot making a cool dice cup.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's actually my biggest problem; I have yet to come with a good solution for it.

 

It is a little ironic that I posted that this morning, although I guess I knew that I was headed into the basement in search of something.  I went through all the “in-process” boxes twice before I finally found the group of figures in a box labeled something else. 🙄  I really had no reason to believe that a single painting stick of vintage Adina Corporation hobgoblin archers was NOT in a miscellaneous box labeled “Fantasy Painting” but was instead hiding in a box clearly labeled “Ral Partha Wizards, Warrirors and Warlocks Orcs”.  That took about an hour and a half of box moving to figure out. 

 

My basic storage is built around “Really Useful Boxes”.  I have them arrayed on heavy duty shelves in the basement.

 

9C49B87F-8F58-4729-B769-E2276CF857AC.jpeg.eba66064298a4f04a48362862d8dfc41.jpeg

 

That’s an old picture; there are now three sets of shelves.

 

The boxes with painted troops have label-maker-made labels:

 

BB0F87A3-804B-499A-AE5E-94C359258B2F.jpeg.b2cbfde6d67a6ffb4b2a058e47c906c3.jpeg

 

I line the boxes with flexible magnet sheeting, and have the troops either on carbon steel washers or on wooden bases with flexible steel (i.e. steel dust in a plastic matrix) under-bases :

 

3A4FF2B3-7511-416E-B005-9E4C00F7BD91.jpeg.6e86f71e7552c673c25d5332e04cde43.jpeg

 

How much shaking and bumpoing they can stand depends on what the figures are.  The boxes shown above are 1/72 scale figures on group wooden bases with flexible steel underbases, and stick well enough that you can shake them a lot, or invert the box.  You could probably dislodge them if you did both. Boxes with things like 40mm semi-flat imagi-nations cavalry on 30mm washers need to be treated more cautiously.

 

When it’s time to take them to an away game or a convention, the RUBs get stacked and strapped together with straps in both directions:

 

A91170B3-4FA3-42CF-9CE9-FB235E8EF93E.jpeg.4183506be40d8b05cb9e26c8666a49df.jpeg

 

 

 

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

@Mad Jack and @Chaoswolf: On too many minis/not enough storage, I also find that it has to be storage which is properly organized to permit me to get out the piece I’m looking for, whether a painted object for a game or an unpainted object for painting when I need it.  I’m spending too much time these days stacking and unstacking boxes looking for “something”.

Solution is more shelving! Then you attempt to fill with more minis. Then you buy more storage. Kind of like the milk and cereal dilemma. 😃

27 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

 

It is a little ironic that I posted that this morning, although I guess I knew that I was headed into the basement in search of something.  I went through all the “in-process” boxes twice before I finally found the group of figures in a box labeled something else. 🙄  I really had no reason to believe that a single painting stick of vintage Adina Corporation hobgoblin archers was NOT in a miscellaneous box labeled “Fantasy Painting” but was instead hiding in a box clearly labeled “Ral Partha Wizards, Warrirors and Warlocks Orcs”.  That took about an hour and a half of box moving to figure out. 

 

My basic storage is built around “Really Useful Boxes”.  I have them arrayed on heavy duty shelves in the basement.

 

9C49B87F-8F58-4729-B769-E2276CF857AC.jpeg.eba66064298a4f04a48362862d8dfc41.jpeg

 

That’s an old picture; there are now three sets of shelves.

 

The boxes with painted troops have label-maker-made labels:

 

BB0F87A3-804B-499A-AE5E-94C359258B2F.jpeg.b2cbfde6d67a6ffb4b2a058e47c906c3.jpeg

 

I line the boxes with flexible magnet sheeting, and have the troops either on carbon steel washers or on wooden bases with flexible steel (i.e. steel dust in a plastic matrix) under-bases :

 

3A4FF2B3-7511-416E-B005-9E4C00F7BD91.jpeg.6e86f71e7552c673c25d5332e04cde43.jpeg

 

How much shaking and bumpoing they can stand depends on what the figures are.  The boxes shown above are 1/72 scale figures on group wooden bases with flexible steel underbases, and stick well enough that you can shake them a lot, or invert the box.  You could probably dislodge them if you did both. Boxes with things like 40mm semi-flat imagi-nations cavalry on 30mm washers need to be treated more cautiously.

 

When it’s time to take them to an away game or a convention, the RUBs get stacked and strapped together with straps in both directions:

 

A91170B3-4FA3-42CF-9CE9-FB235E8EF93E.jpeg.4183506be40d8b05cb9e26c8666a49df.jpeg

 

 

 

Thats..That's... beautiful. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, TGP said:


What’s happened? Is she alright? Last I remember reading you had a good better job situation that you really liked…

Oh, she’s fine. We just have to be out of our apartment by the end of May. We make too much money for income adjusted housing. We’ve been looking for a rental, but the market here is crazy, and we haven’t been able to find anything. So back to my MIL’s attic we go. 
 

Hubby has put plans in motion to fix it up though. We have a friend who is going to help him clean it out, insulate it, and put up drywall. The same friend is going to help install the sink, stove, oven, and counter tops in MIL’s kitchen. As well as install the sink and tub in the bathroom. 
 

Yeah, my MIL’s house is a mess.

 

At least this time we know what we’re getting into and we have a plan and resources to deal with it.

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey W.O.O.F. Wanna come get your agent?

So, we have a dog now, sortta....I guess... It came to my Uncle just the other day, then my uncle ended up in the hospital today. He's fine, but they can't look after the dog, they didn't really want the dog to begin with. We don't really want him either, but none of us want to see a, fairly young and pleasant dog, end up in a shelter for who knows how long. Such a sweet pupper, really needs to be with someone who can care for them. Been bugging me all day. Such a good boi should have ended up better looked after not bouncing about. People make me cranky.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of doggos.

Had a pleasant encounter at the hardware store today.

The local been-there-almost-forever hardware store in Moundhouse [just east of Carson City], which is "supervised" by a fluffy grey cat who spends most of its time surveying its kingdom from its throne box atop a five foot high pedestal, was visited by a beagle who must be a "regular" while I was picking up some bits and bobs this afternoon.  Snoopy's cousin came in, circled the premises and made sure to say hi to everyone, saving the checkout counter where I was standing for last.  I felt a pressure on the back side of my thighs, looked behind me to see a friendly face and a wagging tail standing on two legs in greeting. 

After greeting me the welcoming committee went around behind the counter to say hello to the clerk and let him know he definitely knew there was fried chicken on the counter by various motions and gyrations.  Clerk explained the beagle was one of the regulars and had been there earlier and already knew about the chicken when he came through the front door.

Northern Nevada is a very dog friendly place, even our local Smith's Supermarket has a very relaxed attitude towards well behaved four legged family members.

One pub where we like to lunch [Called The Fox {right across from the State Capital}] has a patio where dogs are welcome to the point they have water bowls and a special menu.

GEM

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gonna be a fun one tonight......

 

Load just got here 130, so not to bad, just my 4th guy (the guy that covers vacations), up & quit yesterday, so yah.

 

Kid wasn't all that motivated thou, so doesn't surprise me. He did come back here to be closer to home, so who knows why he quit. He came in last Sunday (was slow), didn't bother coming in on Weds morning (something about his alarm clock, but when the boss called he said to just come in now, bit he never showed while I was there), so again, yah.

 

Just anther typical night here on frieght crew. At least the load isn't bad, thou I wish the warehouse idiots would use a seperate pallet when they stick stuff on top of the dog/salt board.....we hates thissss!!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

You are probably going to need to re-calibrate your handshake, particularly with the elderly and those of a delicate/petite form.

GEM

In the interim, Icy/Hot or similar will be your friend.  Comes in may forms, including a balm, the empty pot making a cool dice cup.

 

Hadn't thought about the handshake, good idea. Though my handshake might already be classified as Diet Firm as I'm typically bigger than most people. I did buy some hand/finger strengtheners the other day to use once the soreness stops. Given the hand issues I've had the past few years, hopefully all of this work will get them back towards normal.

 

I tend to prefer Tiger Balm to Icy/Hot, but right now all I have is the red kind, not the white version. And that'll definitely leave marks on my white uniform. And either one is definitely something to be careful putting on the hands, never know when it may end up on your face or eyes... ouchie...

 

 

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

One pub where we like to lunch [Called The Fox {right across from the State Capital}] has a patio where dogs are welcome to the point they have water bowls and a special menu.

 

 

Canine-friendly restaurants are awesome. I worked at an outdoor restaurant years ago in NYC one summer where people brought dogs. We have water bowls and boxes upon boxes of dog treats. Used to have a guy who would always come in and order two hamburgers, one for him and one plain, no bun, for his arm-sized dog.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

HOLY MOLY!  I thought I had a lot of those cases, but I'm an amateur compared to you. I've only got 20 of them.

You all have too much time and not enough space!  Most of my painted, nonmilitary figures are on display in glass ikea cabinets and my military stuff is in plano lure boxes.  My unpainted stuff is mainly in file cabinets... unmarked file cabinets.  I relt on my memory to find stuff ::D:

 

 

12 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Seems appropriate for page 666....

 

1569126733_DSCN3328.thumb.JPG.6257817da9087c8b6d2183ca2016fa1e(1).jpeg.6578cafd5d271f8eda37b523e905b53a.jpeg

You have an adorable and very patient cat!

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

Hey W.O.O.F. Wanna come get your agent?

So, we have a dog now, sortta....I guess... It came to my Uncle just the other day, then my uncle ended up in the hospital today. He's fine, but they can't look after the dog, they didn't really want the dog to begin with. We don't really want him either, but none of us want to see a, fairly young and pleasant dog, end up in a shelter for who knows how long. Such a sweet pupper, really needs to be with someone who can care for them. Been bugging me all day. Such a good boi should have ended up better looked after not bouncing about. People make me cranky.

He has been checked for a microchip, right?

 

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I tend to prefer Tiger Balm to Icy/Hot, but right now all I have is the red kind, not the white version. And that'll definitely leave marks on my white uniform. And either one is definitely something to be careful putting on the hands, never know when it may end up on your face or eyes... ouchie...

And you want to be careful using the toilet too...

  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...