Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Made it out today to actually tackle the backyard mowing. First mow of the season, + we've actually have had rain the last week, so yah it was a bit thick & tall in some places. Squirrels won't need machetes to get to the peanut bowl in the morning. I'm debating on getting a second battery for my motor, as the 1 in it, just can't mow the entire backyard in 1 go. So I may look at those tomorrow. I may even look at battery powered weed trimmers, as I realized why I don't use my weed trimmer all that much (corded). Speaking of that trimmer, did my first weed trim of the season today as well. Also took the time to cut some branches off a bush that the neighbors own, as it creeps into my yard. Problem with this big bush, is it pushing against a older fence. Earlier this week we had a nasty wind storm come through & it finally took out a porch swing we had set up using a couple wooden beams attached to the house & ground. The swing was wooden & was falling apart (it's main purpose these days was where I'd put the peanut bowl & only cause, when Thumper was alive, I didn't want her getting into them). While cutting the branches, I thought to use the 2 beams to brace the fence, as it's really has a bad lean-to look to it. I did try to get a few bigger branches that were pushing against the fence today, so hopefully that'll relive some pressure. What we need thou is a new fence, as there are places that are just supporting the existing fencing with ropes, cords, old tire. etc etc. It didn't help when a shared backyard neighbor decided to take out her existing wooden fence that T-connected the fences & put up a vinyl one, leaving ours without a secure corner.

Also had a 2nd hobby supply box show up today. Mainly Tamiya lacquer paints, but I did get some car model detail bits, like a distributor bit & coil. Gonna add some detail to a simple car, a Lotus super 7 series II (model is from Tamiya). I'm not going overboard, but I'll add the distributor to the engine, so it has the wires & then I'll hook up the battery using black & red wiring. I thought about a photo-etch kit for the battery ends/connectors, but in the end I think I'm just gonna smash the ends with a flat nose pliers, paint em silver & glue them to the battery.

I had one of my players text me saying he's sick & can't make it tomorrow, so I just ended up cancelling the game till next Saturday. Since it's a hardback campaign, I don't want to leave players behind in the story if I can help it. No worries, just means I don't need to clean up that 2 week's worth of hobby mess on the table out in the garage. I think I'll use tomorrow as a gather up some figs from the Bones 5 box for my RCon games. As much as I love rpgs & minis, still have most of the B5 shipment in the box it came in last year. I need to get a look at those "rune wights" & see if I wanna use em for "regular" wights.

Hopefully, the B6 Kickstarter ends with a successful bang for everyone. While I really don't need it, I'm kinda leaning towards the Core, as that is what I've pledged for at least in dollar amounts, so who knows. I do like using the pledged amount to get the most expensive item in the KS (B5 I pledged for the Core & a regular pirate ship), as it helps me in the PM. Knowing I don't need to put a high dollar amount later helps with the wallet pain.

When you go shopping for wood for new fence be prepared for major sticker shock.

Wood is super expensive [along with everything else right now].  So you might want to consider salvaging everything you can from the old fence even if it for other uses.

Enough wood and other supplies for a simple 8x8 porch in back and a 4 foot wide porch in front with a 7 step by 6" rise set of steps in front ran over $1500 last year and prices haven't moderated, in fact some things have gone up.  Neighbor behind us just paid over $2500 for a pallet of cedar fence boards.  That didn't include any stringers or fence posts, just the facing boards.

GEM

Whose seen this show before in the 80's.

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
tentacles
  • Like 7

@Green Eyed Monster  I'm really hoping we don't have to got there again.  The rampent inflation was bad but i dont know if i can handle cheap polyester clothing all over again!  Setuously this inflation and repeated shortages is terrible on both a personal and professional level.  I really don't want to so the 80s job hop every 2 years to keep up with inflation!

@Inarah. Sorry to hear about the router it's a pain to diagnose and can be a pain to get your provider to recognize!  Hope everyone is well over there!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

@Green Eyed Monster  I'm really hoping we don't have to got there again.  The rampent inflation was bad but i dont know if i can handle cheap polyester clothing all over again!  Setuously this inflation and repeated shortages is terrible on both a personal and professional level.  I really don't want to so the 80s job hop every 2 years to keep up with inflation!

@Inarah. Sorry to hear about the router it's a pain to diagnose and can be a pain to get your provider to recognize!  Hope everyone is well over there!

I'm right there with you on the polyester.

And in full agreement on all the other points for all our friends, even if my personal situation pretty much insulates my family from the worst of the inflation worries.

GEM

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Today is National Zipper day!

Go celebrate!!

(I'm not sure how, but you lot are pretty bright, you'll come up with something.)

Like this 

image.png.5862505cc3277ae644874bfdb56bd04d.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Yup, that would certainly work, too.

Well, it looks like a nice day so far. I plan on heading up to Reaper HQ for the KickStarter count down party this afternoon, it should be a good day for it; the temperature is only supposed to be in the low-mid 80's.

I'm wearing an Arch Enemy concert shirt, if you're there, come say hi.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:
10 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I'm right there with you on the polyester.

I actually prefer a polyester/cotton blend t-shirt due to the reduced chance of shrinking... and the price, yes. I just bought 10 print shirts last week for $65 to wear for work. I intend for them to get dirty, so price was definitely a factor, but my wallet is thanking me. Pure cotton just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

I actually prefer a polyester/cotton blend t-shirt due to the reduced chance of shrinking... and the price, yes. I just bought 10 print shirts last week for $65 to wear for work. I intend for them to get dirty, so price was definitely a factor, but my wallet is thanking me. Pure cotton just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Blended fabrics are one of the few good things to come out of the polyester era.  I had to read labels very carefully all during that era or risk blowing up expensive circuit boards of equipment owned by the family business. while wearing "current fashion", so I avoided most of the "fashionable" stuff on principal.

The blended fabrics have enough polyester to stabilize the fabric but not so much to allow them to build up static in most situations so they are good to go.

GEM

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

When you go shopping for wood for new fence be prepared for major sticker shock.

Wood is super expensive [along with everything else right now].  So you might want to consider salvaging everything you can from the old fence even if it for other uses.

Enough wood and other supplies for a simple 8x8 porch in back and a 4 foot wide porch in front with a 7 step by 6" rise set of steps in front ran over $1500 last year and prices haven't moderated, in fact some things have gone up.  Neighbor behind us just paid over $2500 for a pallet of cedar fence boards.  That didn't include any stringers or fence posts, just the facing boards.

GEM

Whose seen this show before in the 80's.

Oh yah, I know all about wood prices & such. I've wanted to add a sheet of wood onto the game table in the garage, but 2 factors are holding me back, price & the room it'd take up, since there is room now, but it would quickly get gobbled up if I added a bigger table top. The fence was probably built the same year our house was (1971) & it hasn't been maintained all that well. TBH, I'm not even sure it's our fence, ha ha. I know the dope growers/smokers next door won't put any money in to it.

• Sad 5

3 minutes ago, haldir said:

Oh yah, I know all about wood prices & such. I've wanted to add a sheet of wood onto the game table in the garage, but 2 factors are holding me back, price & the room it'd take up, since there is room now, but it would quickly get gobbled up if I added a bigger table top. The fence was probably built the same year our house was (1971) & it hasn't been maintained all that well. TBH, I'm not even sure it's our fence, ha ha. I know the dope growers/smokers next door won't put any money in to it.

Do a surreptitious survey of where the boundary markers are and if it's on their side of the line make sure it's leaning towards your side so when it falls it's on your property so you can "complain" to the city.  This will put the authority of code enforcement behind you to "motivate" them to contribute to the clean up and replacement costs.

GEM

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Do a surreptitious survey of where the boundary markers are and if it's on their side of the line make sure it's leaning towards your side so when it falls it's on your property so you can "complain" to the city.  This will put the authority of code enforcement behind you to "motivate" them to contribute to the clean up and replacement costs.

GEM

Oh it's definitely leaning towards my side. :lol:

I wouldn't care if it collapsed but they have dogs & I'd hate for them to be over in my yard. I will admit, they might be pot smokers/growers (sm'growers? gr'smokers?) but they are actually decent neighbors.

Oh I see Rocketpig miniatures knows I need to get some files! 60% off 24 hr sale on their site!

• Like 6

Well it is done. $1.8M

Got the lighthouse as the last unlock. Missed out on a StormGiant and a buncha Goblins—most likely the ones they were featuring in those RPG streams. 

• Like 7