Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

*%$#%@!!!!

I went out to walk Brutus, discovered someone stole both my licenseplates from my car.

Called the Police, filled out a form on their website, going to order new ones tomorrow.

Hope nothing bad has happened in between, I know I can explain it, but it's a lot of trouble then

35 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

That depends...I notified the Police.

Hopefully nothing happened in between, or else I might have to explain stuff, maybe even in Court depending what happened.

I know it will be alright in the End but still..

Is license plate theft a common occurrence ? in the Netherlands. 

The plates in the states don’t have much intrinsic value. The stealing of hub caps used to be a thing, so much so they just phased out wheels that needed hub caps.

In the US getting caught with stolen plates on a vehicle is an additional offense—plates are specific and assigned to a particular vehicle with a particular VIN number. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Hmmmm,

uhh oh. 

I went looking, and apparently it is a thing in the US to steal license plates, attach them to other vehicles, then drive these vehicles on toll roads which rely on license plate readers. The bill for driving on the toll roads goes to whoever once owned the license plate (instead of who is really driving on the road). 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Hmmmm,

uhh oh. 

I went looking, and apparently it is a thing in the US to steal license plates, attach them to other vehicles, drive these vehicles on toll roads which rely on license plate readers. The bill for driving on the toll roads goes to whoever once owned the license plate. 

I sorta had that happen to me? Nobody stole my plates but I got a toll for my sportscar, but one that doesn’t go out during snowy times so there was zero chance it was me. It’s a bright yellow and the photo was of a grey SUV. Plus it was 30 miles to the north. Customer service was very quick and it turned out to be two numbers got transposed as the image was blurry so the tag had to be manually billed. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

Hmmmm,

uhh oh. 

I went looking, and apparently it is a thing in the US to steal license plates, attach them to other vehicles, drive these vehicles on toll roads which rely on license plate readers. The bill for driving on the toll roads goes to whoever once owned the license plate. 

About 10.000 plates a year.

One can use them for tanking gasoline and drive away without paying.

Drive without paying taxes ( we pay road tax)

Maybe even use a car in criminal activities with stolen or false plates.

I will get new plates and those will get an addendum ( a little 1 in this case, above the actual combination) this will make sure I have a "NEW" license plate and everything that happens after that is not my problem.

However should someone do something in the period between stealing/using them and my call to the Police, I might need to explain that the plates are stolen, show the notification to the Police, and in certain cases maybe even need to go to court to show I didn't do anything.

In the End it will probably be alright, but I am very afraid something like that might happen, so if I get a Traffic Ticket or a Debt Collector who claims I didn't pay for gasoline, I might need to fight that.

Not really happy about that, so I hope I was in time, and I hope things will work out.

• Sad 14

19 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Interesting!  I did not know Gasoline could be purchased by just license plate number. That is . . . disturbing. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

Interesting!  I did not know Gasoline could be purchased by just license plate number. That is . . . disturbing. 

No,

To tank in the Netherlands is different that in the USA.

You drive and tank, then go inside to pay or pay with CC.

But if you don't and drive away then there are cameras which register your licenseplate.

So if you have a false or stolen plate you can get away with it until Police finds out this is the case and arrests you.

In the meanwhile the owner of the gas station reads the license plate number and sends the bill and maybe a debt collector to the original owner ( until my plates have that magical addendum) since I notified the Police and added when I am certain at what moment the plates were still there, I will have a good case, but it could mean a procedure to prove it all.

Not something I need right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

44 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

About 10.000 plates a year.

Drive without paying taxes ( we pay road tax)

Maybe even use a car in criminal activities with stolen or false plates.

I am betting the culprit is Jason Statham, in a new The Transporter movie based in the Netherlands... he always had excess plates to swap for his car.

• Haha 13

Posted (edited)

Since everyone here keeps throwing pictures of food here, take some of what we had on Friday at the Korean restaurant:

20220429_190931.thumb.jpg.d1afdbc74bae4ba8308be5111dac80da.jpg20220429_190945.thumb.jpg.619a5c320114146ba34e0e23b0e3dd4a.jpg

Bibimbap and tteokbokki, with some absolutely delicious sides. We didn't gorge ourselves like last time, but it was an excellent supper.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Gas and go problems faded out almost instantly here when they made it mandatory to pre-pay for fuel after several people died trying to stop runaway drivers...  Sure did get a lot of complaining from the older folk though, but it took me all of two refuellings to get used to it. 

Then again, I was driving commercially at the time, and my new job uses cardlock fuel at commercial locations.  I never have to know how much refuelling my truck costs, because the receipt only says how many liters you put in...  (just don't be stupid and use it for personal stuff, great way to lose your job, get billed for it, and potential criminal offenses too) 

• Like 8

So I decided for our vow renewal I'm going to make a cape. I am trying to find fabric and it's a pain. It's either not what I want or WAY too expensive. We're doing like celestial/nerdy themed so I want something with like stars or space or something. So far I've found this:

Spoiler

image.png.c889097e24a815211fe294bba75369e5.png

It's cool but not sure if it's what I really want but I can't beat the price. When you need 8 yards of fabric it gets expensive quick. I also need lining fabric.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

So I decided for our vow renewal I'm going to make a cape. I am trying to find fabric and it's a pain. It's either not what I want or WAY too expensive. We're doing like celestial/nerdy themed so I want something with like stars or space or something. So far I've found this:

Hide contents

image.png.c889097e24a815211fe294bba75369e5.png

It's cool but not sure if it's what I really want but I can't beat the price. When you need 8 yards of fabric it gets expensive quick. I also need lining fabric.

The true cost is for adding the void between the stars. :;,;:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8