Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I hate stickers on book covers. And people who put stickers on book covers. Argh! 

Is it one of those 40% off stickers? Those refused to depart cleanly. Do bookstores still do those?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Somebody's day is already off to a bad start, I overheard this as I was walking by the break room:

There isn't enough coffee in the world for this *expletive*.

Hope yours is better! 

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

That's why they invented espresso.  And Irish coffee.. 

My boss once told an extremely violent child molester I was taking back to prison "The only reason you are still sucking air is Collier [yours truly] had decaf this morning."  Yup, coffee helps...

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I hate stickers on book covers. And people who put stickers on book covers. Argh! 

I can't guarantee how it would work, but when I used to work in a warehouse we used a cigarette lighter to get stickers off damaged returns.  We'd hit the price tag (it was almost always price tags) with the flame for a couple seconds and it would soften the adhesive enough to peel the sticker right off.  There wasn't enough time to melt plastic and as long as you're away from the edge, the object with the sticker won't catch on fire.

5 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

You think you're having a crappy day... I just found out I have 3 days to get my lousy landlord to pay the power bill or I'm sitting in the dark. You can't paint miniatures in the dark. 

@strawhat That was the funniest thing that's happened to me all day. Thank you. 

I'm sorry you needed the laugh, but glad I could help (even if only a little)!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Is it one of those 40% off stickers? Those refused to depart cleanly. Do bookstores still do those?

Very similar, glossy paper sticker with insidious glue.  About half peeled off nicely, then it shredded and the rest won't budge.  I have some Goof Off around somewhere that will take it off.  

Do book stores still exist? 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Customer (two weeks ago): My credit card charges on my day report are not matching my bank deposits. 

Me: You can't directly compare your day reports to your bank deposits, as there are intermediary steps. You need to also use the batch report and your merchant processing company's reports. Here is a video explaining it in more detail

Customer (one week ago): Can we schedule a call to go over these discrepancies between my day reports and my bank deposits?

Me: Yes, but before we do that, please send me the following items so we are looking at the same thing: the day report in question, the system batch report for the week that includes that day, your merchant processor's report for that same week, your bank deposits for that same week.  If you're using a spreadsheet to track numbers, please send a copy of that (or a screen shot) as well.  Finally, please send notes on where you're drawing your numbers from. 
Customer (today) - Here are the day reports and the spreadsheet that shows the discrepancies. (No batch reports, no merchant processor reports, no notes on where she's getting her numbers from. Her bank deposits are in the spreadsheet)

Me: <bangs head against desk>

All she sent was 3 day reports, and a spreadsheet that makes no sense to me. I can't figure out where on the day reports she's getting some of the numbers in the spreadsheet.  I was able to log into her system and run the batch report myself, where I figured out she's doing exactly what I told her not to, both in my email, and in the video - she's trying to compare bank deposits to credit card charges on the same day.  This doesn't work because there is usually a delay between the day the card was run, and the day it's credited to the merchant's bank.  This explains some of the numbers on her spreadsheet, but she then has a whole column called "Allocations" that appear to be made up numbers, and another column calculating a "discrepancy" between these made up numbers and the day reports.  She wants me to explain this discrepancy column, and right now my best response is "don't make up numbers?"

I've asked her to show me where she's getting the numbers in her "Allocations" column.   I suspect she's adding line items together that aren't really credit card charges, but I haven't been able to add various line items together and get the same numbers she's showing. 

PEBCAK

• Like 8

9 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Unfortunately, and sadly, it's not that strange.  Happens far too often, at least according to the property management company I used to manage my last rental. She advises her property owners to have tenants pay for their utilities directly whenever possible because it reduces landlord liability.  Of course, her advice was limited to Colorado, things may be different in other states and countries. 

In the Netherlands it's pretty common that tennants pay for their utilities themselves.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

In the Netherlands it's pretty common that tennants pay for their utilities themselves.

Likewise in Canada, at least for services based on usage, such as electricity and gas. I don't know about water and sewer, or if they are included in property taxes. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm not sure if the intent behind the picture/caption  or the misspelling of 'Shoulder' is funnier. 

Funnier,  is I just now noticed that. ::P:

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

Likewise in Canada, at least for services based on usage, such as electricity and gas. I don't know about water and sewer, or if they are included in property taxes. 

Sewer and water are in the Netherlands included in property taxes.

In other news, got a call from the Police, they have finished the report on my stolen license plates.

I can download it digitally but they will also send me a signed physical copy.

According to the Officer I spoke with it's a common issue, usually it won't lead to many problems and the fact that I reported it instead of just applying for new plates, helps to counter problems.

So hoping she's right and that I won't have too many troubles.

Needless to say I had the new plates attached in a anti theft way now. If someone tries to remove them now they will be damaged so they can't use them.

There is no such thing as WOOF propaganda.. you're imagining this!

Carry on nothing to see here.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 15