Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

35 minutes ago, ShadowRaven said:

Cinco de Mayo was just an excuse to have burritos for lunch. I am now back to being completely and totally, 'glow in the dark white' Canadian 

Beats glow in the dark but with trucker tan Canadian 😛

• Haha 9

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

May 5th. Liberation Day in the Netherlands.

A bit of mixed feelings for me since it's also the date my Mother passed away in 2007.

Same here.

The day my father expired in 1990,

After having been given a contra-indicated medication on May first that caused an fatal intra-cranial bleed.

GEM

• Sad 13

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Yes, I am aware that today actually celebrates the Mexican armies victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican war and not Mexican Independence Day as many Americans erroneously believe. 

Enjoy your day!

My brother in law, who's about as sharp as a spoon, found this out after moving to Puebla. How did he find out? By posting a bunch of off color and deprecating memes about Cinco de Mayo on his social media accounts. Apparently the good people of Puebla take this day fairly seriously and aren't very receptive to outsiders making bad jokes about their culture. I tell you, that guy can burn bridges like nobody I've ever known. But never have I seen him burn so many all at once as when he did that. 

Anyways, happy Cinco de Mayo. And happy Liberation Day. 

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

MRI/PET scans done. Results in 24-48 hrs so should hear from her oncology surgeon tomorrow or Saturday. She fell asleep during both scans. But now that she can eat we had chicken fried steak and fried shrimp for breakuncinner. Still doing well. 

• Like 15

3 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

Cinco de Mayo was just an excuse to have burritos for lunch. I am now back to being completely and totally, 'glow in the dark white' Canadian 

We had fajitas from a local Tex-Mex restaurant. I thought the food was quite good, so I'll be going to visit them in the near future.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Yes, I am aware that today actually celebrates the Mexican armies victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican war and not Mexican Independence Day as many Americans erroneously believe. 

Enjoy your day!

At the time (1862) what was left of the ‘United’ States was a bit distracted. 

May 5, 1862 was also the date of the battle of Williamsburg. McClellans Union Army attacked the portion of the Confederate army of Northern Virginia commanded by Joe Johnston on that day. The Confederates lost and retreated. 

The battle of Puebla was the only battle the Mexicans won in their war.  The French withdrew to VeraCruz on the coast. There they received reinforcements and a different general. Then the fighting resumed, the Mexican forces were driven back, Benito Juarez was ousted from Mexico City, and the French installed a Hapsburg prince as Emperor of Mexico. 

All this while the American Civil War raged on further North. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I successfully made a birthday cake for my husband, and bacon cheeseburgers.

I even feel less dead.

My brain sees this as a Bacon, Cheeseburger, Birthday Cake.

This might actually replace German Chocolate Cake as my new favorite.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
Tentacles
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I successfully made a birthday cake for my husband, and bacon cheeseburgers.

I even feel less dead.

less dead is more alive. Which is a few good steps in the right direction. Hope a good day with family, and a few more days of recovery gets you feeling like you want to again. 

• Like 7

Oof, good thing I had my eye exam in the late afternoon.  Optometrist was able to do a few extra things to verify my eyes, but the last portion of it all required dilation of the pupils so he could check a few things, and man is that part kicking me good.  Everything is just sooooo bright, even our normally relatively dark living room. 

It was an optional thing, but given the history the family has with a variety of things, and the currently floaters I have in my vision I felt it was a good idea.  It was because things are perfectly healthy, but yeaaaaaah.  So hoping the bedroom doesn't feel stupidly bright tonight. 

• Like 8

Good news everyone!

//Farnsworth voice, in an anti-scarcastic ironic tone

Well, that's encouraging! Already got her results from today's scans. Now, haven't heard back from the doc yet since it was 8pm when that dropped, so I'm going on my engineering hat interpretation of a radiologist report, but it appears that there's no signs of intrusion into the bones nor any spread to the lymphatic system. It also says that for a cancer, it doesn't look like one. Doesn't mean it isn't, but just doesn't look typical. I feel that's really a good sign. Have to see what the surgeons think!

• Like 18