Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Be sure you leave early to avoid those long lineups. :poke:

That's our plan, we don't want to be held up by the Sunday morning rush hour!

7 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

Just be glad they gave you some advanced warning. Also, Hope you enjoy the Multiverse of Strangeness, get in a good late lunch, maybe a stroll down town if the weather isn't crap. A nice peaceful afternoon. 

They are very nice people and I'm very glad that we got the warning. Their dogs are going to doggy daycare, so goodness knows how noisy it's going to get ::o:

Really looking forward to the film, it's been a while since the director has had as big a budget and I'm curious to see what he does with it.

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'll second what others have already said - it's definitely nice they gave warning.  I'll also second the going for a nice long walk in the afternoon... 

Our plan is cinema, lunch, model shop, FLGS and maybe do some clothes shopping if we have time. Maybe do a river walk afterwards if the rain holds off, but it's not looking likely at the moment. 

Housemate is currently trying to get me to agree to going out for dinner too, just in case ::D:

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

On 5/4/2022 at 9:39 AM, Pegazus said:

More or less, I can take an STL file, bring it into CAD, then put additional features into it. So if I had a Big Stompy Robot STL file and didn’t like something on it, I can fix it. Add more detail, remove detail, add splash damage (another STL fer examp), cut off and reposition various parts and poses. Think virtual Bones Mashup.

Probably could do it with Blender too (downloaded anticipating terrain needs; not played with), but for nonorganic items, CAD seems to be the right tool. Plus it’s parametric and easier to play with for rigid values. 

Hah ha! Example time!

The top left image in the picture below is a USF Buffalo. It was a Kickstarter that I was going to get a resin figure of this vehicle. Well, roll forward a year or two later, and medical issues and other roadblocks hit. But, we were allowed to convert our physical reward request into 3D files, which I did. Technology marches on and that's a better value at this point anyway. But, from the image, it's all in pieces. Notice the grid next to those parts? That's my resin print bed. Uh, yeah, not wanting something that big anyway (15cm-ish; 3 in-ish). You're meant to print them out multiple times and glue them into the poses you would like. The hull doesn't even fit in my resin printer, so that'd be a fun piece of work.

I'm really not keen on printing out a lot of fiddly bits that have been scaled to the size I wanted (~25% scale) and gluing them together. I want a single vehicle. Thus, I took all the parts into FreeCAD, solidified them, added coordinate systems for assembly, plus added extra pads so it'd be fully solid at assembly (since it was supposed to be a "kit" it had gaps), then assembled them along with multiples to make a full vehicle (top right image), scaled it down to the size I wanted, and exported a single STL file! That file is now in Chitubox and hit with supports, ready to print at a svelte 4cm long!

Results.png.76c21c3a1be436209c85caa80a4050dd.png

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

This is so dark on the humor scale as to be lowest level of the coal mine with the lights out.

"Donner, party of one!" ::D:

On a related note, someday I'm going to get a t-shirt printed up that says...

1st Annual

Donner Family Reunion

& Barbecue

***1848***

::D:::D:::D:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 5/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, Glitterwolf said:

WOOF FOOD LOG:

Inspired by Greek/Turkish Cuisine.

Döner Kebab

Döner Kebab is one of my favorite dishes of all time (especially from a fast-food style Turkish shop). Yours look delicious and is making my mouth water.

Thought today was going to be a rough day. Woke up after working last night (another no pay/no penalty day, but I went in to earn my full paycheck anyways) and had about an hour to eat and get the car down to the dealership for my scheduled oil change/tire rotation. Despite having an appointment, I was told it was going to be about a 2 hour wait. Kind of sucks, but I came prepared with my mask and a book to read. True enough it took about 2 hours, they are gave me the rundown on the usual inspection, then showed me the bill and had written "no charge" on it. Told me they didn't hit their benchmark for waiting for an oil change so they didn't charge me. I did protest because I can afford the service, and they did warn me about the wait beforehand, but they wouldn't take my money. Was nice of them, but I always plan for a wait when I get an oil change so it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

I should have told them to put that into a "freebie" account for someone who needed the service, but wasn't able to pay (if their card wouldn't go through or something, or just couldn't afford it). I'll have to find some way to pay it forward.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Not like I don't have enough WiP models going, decided to start a new one.:poke:

Tamiya Mercedes CLK-GTR Original Teile.

One of my players texted me earlier today & said he was feeling ill, so cancelled D&D for today. He did say he was gonna get a covid test just in case.

16519688163487684375229043699485.jpg

download (1).jpeg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Dark humor? 

Coming right up....

lightbulb-jokes-for-filmmakers-copy.thumb.jpg.38fd80515ae358d6ef4a6c9bd96e0082.jpg

Witness the genesis of the 2022 Spring Greater Texas Blackout

GEM

4 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

"Donner, party of one!" ::D:

On a related note, someday I'm going to get a t-shirt printed up that says...

1st Annual

Donner Family Reunion

& Barbecue

***1848***

::D:::D:::D:

You are one sick and twisted person.

And I admire you for it.

GEM

Got in about an hour ago from our little excursion over the big hill.

Not too many crazy people on the road today so it was an easy trip.

Had a nice visit with the family and the delivery of packing boxes was appreciated. 

I helped pack up some of the small delicate stuff.  Lots of bubble wrap, tape, and small pieces of cardboard were used in the endeavor.

My box from Reaper was waiting when we got home.  Everything seem to have arrived in substantially the same condition as when it left Reaper HQ.

Thank You to all for not blowing up the interwebs in my absence.

GEM

• Like 8

Mother's Day is off to a good start in the household. Cards hand-delivered with one purchased/given by the canine companions, though the gift is still in transit (to buy a new large-print Hercule Poirot novel required using a store in New Hampshire that doesn't have an online shopping cart, kind of a rarity these days). Homemade pasta sauce is cooking, the sun is shining, and temperatures are rather pleasant.

So far, mom is happy. Now to do some chores while everything is calm. Hope y'alls day is also off to a good start.

• Like 8

A Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers out there.

-

To the rest of you, don't just wish her a Happy Day but thank her for bringing you into this world, bringing you up, taking care of you when you were sick or had a boo boo, cheering you on at sports and group events growing up and generally turning you into an adult human being.

GEM

• Like 8