Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

23 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I've been in Florida at the time of year when the humidity is so high glass of cool water will sweat so much it builds a puddle if there isn't a napkin, mat under it.

Happens here in Iowa, too.  Those Thirsty Stone Coasters we got years ago but rarely used in CO are getting a workout now. 

My Monday started off crappy - got yet another call from a site that's been having ongoing problems not only clearing credit cards, but sometimes having entire batches of transactions disappearing.  It all started when a new owner took over, and we changed their merchant info. I've never seen this behavior before.  After going through everything I could think of for the last two weeks, I finally noticed something peculiar in the actual credit card processing module. Contacted the vendor we get it from, mostly as a desperate grasping at straws, and the vendor tech said "whoa, never seen that either."  

He escalated it to his engineering team, and it turns out I found a bug in their new software release.  Been dealing with them 10 years, and this is the first time this has happened. Fortunately, they had a fix for me, and it seems to have resolved the worst of the site's problems.  There are still some ongoing issues there that triggered the bug, but at least it looks like it won't lose any more batches of transactions.   

• Like 9
  • Sad 4

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Happens here in Iowa, too.  Those Thirsty Stone Coasters we got years ago but rarely used in CO are getting a workout now. 

My Monday started off crappy - got yet another call from a site that's been having ongoing problems not only clearing credit cards, but sometimes having entire batches of transactions disappearing.  It all started when a new owner took over, and we changed their merchant info. I've never seen this behavior before.  After going through everything I could think of for the last two weeks, I finally noticed something peculiar in the actual credit card processing module. Contacted the vendor we get it from, mostly as a desperate grasping at straws, and the vendor tech said "whoa, never seen that either."  

He escalated it to his engineering team, and it turns out I found a bug in their new software release.  Been dealing with them 10 years, and this is the first time this has happened. Fortunately, they had a fix for me, and it seems to have resolved the worst of the site's problems.  There are still some ongoing issues there that triggered the bug, but at least it looks like it won't lose any more batches of transactions.   

I guess your finding the bug is a good thing.

Are they going to be able to do anything about the transaction batches that have disappeared?

Could be a considerable chunk of change involved.

Since it was their software upgrade that caused the batches to "go poof" it seems to me there is a liability issue involved.

GEM

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Bug detected and quashed - yay?

• Like 7

Ah, it's that time of year again. The letter from the IRS arrived saying we'd done it wrong and we owe them a chunk of change.  And they've ever so vaguely explained why, so I only have a faint idea of what paperwork to look for.  I'm really tired and don't want to be an adult today. 

• Sad 16

6 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Notice that we're twice as terrifying as Florida Man. Let that sink in for a moment.

That's because half of those who are afraid of Canadians Are Florida Man. And are not smart enough to realise they should in fact be afraid of themselves. 

• Haha 13

Man, ya do an hour’s worth of hobbyin’ before bed and all of a sudden stupid brain decides to spend all night runnin’ through the next several steps. But, since I am asleep, it gets the details wrong, and knowing this, wakes me up to ask for the details. Sleep! Or we can’t hobby tomorrow due to being sleepy!

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Pegazus said:

They look like the "Edison" or something specialty lights to me. Really big in the craft-gift-store world for the past couple of years. Supposed to look retro and old fashioned. Think they skirt the incandescent light ban. But they could be LED. I don't recognize that layout style.

This style of LED came out a few years ago. Each of thos bars is an extra wide LED unit (or dozens of micro LEDs, could be either, and they produce the image of a long filament.  There's a more powerful version they use in replacements for the long halogen bulbs you find in work and commercial spotlights

21 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yes?  ::P:

Have some fresh raspberries!  ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Well, it's the first day of field work for the interns. We leave in ten minutes and none of them are here at the rendezvous area. That's not a good start. I even thought I'd be nice and wait until 730 to get on the road. 

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 2
  • Sad 10