Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big Book Sale is back in Calgary after several years hiatus. I hyped myself up all week, too. At work, I was like: "Book sale. My favorite two words in the English language together." My coworker goes: "Not free books?" I said: "Nah. Free books means religious pamphlets and stuff like that."

It did not disappoint. They managed to fill an entire curling rink with books. We walk in and the volunteers are explaining to Mumsy where everything is. I must have had the world's dumbest grin on my face, and my eyes like dinner plates, because the volunteer said, "Look at her. She's like, 'This is my happy place'." I laughed because it was 100% true!

Unfortunatly someone cleaned out most of the Ancient Egypt books before we arrived, but I did find lots of treasures, including a OOP book by one of my favorite authors. I found a book about the history of farts. I said, "How could I not come home with a book about farts?" so we bought that, too. The sale benefits Calgary Reads, which is a literacy program. The only thing I am as political about as food security for young people is early literacy. It was a lovely day out and I hope to visit their little red bookhouse to make some donations later in the summer.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I've been in Florida at the time of year when the humidity is so high glass of cool water will sweat so much it builds a puddle if there isn't a napkin, mat under it.

.......is that not a normal thing year-round? >.> asking for all of Louisiana. 😛

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

47 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

.......is that not a normal thing year-round? >.> asking for all of Louisiana. 😛

And we all thought that was just McDonald’s milk shake thickener dripping from you second set of mandibles!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

On today's date in 1869 on a windswept plain near Promontory Point, Utah Territory the First Transcontinental Railroad was joined when tracks from the Union Pacific, building west and the Central Pacific, building east met and were joined in a ceremony attended by officials from both companies, a company of US Army and recorded for posterity by multiple photographers.

This event was the 1869 equivalent of the first transcontinental internet connection being completed in our era.

A journey that had taken months to make could now be accomplished in relative comfort in just a week.

GEM

• Like 12

Work seems to be going well. I was officially signed off on all my processes last night, so my mistakes are now my own (no one needs to stand behind me checking my work, and having my mistakes fall on them as they were the one checking it). Nice to know I am proceeding well. Much happier in the new job than in the previous one.

Need to resist spending some money this month, but it's becoming hard. Two mini retailers I regularly shop at are having sales, and there is still a bunch of 3d prints I want off Etsy.

• Like 12

Kwindy announced during Anne's show there will be no Crow's Nest today.

Anne said that Monday May 23 is the 500th episode of RTB Pro Tips, and there will be Reaper gift codes to give away.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

On today's date in 1869 on a windswept plain near Promontory Point, Utah Territory the First Transcontinental Railroad was joined when tracks from the Union Pacific, building west and the Central Pacific, building east met and were joined….

Fast forward to the Now

There are multiple tracks joining the West Coast to points on the East side of the Rocky Mountains. However

There are only two options for a container that wants to leave a port (for instance Long Beach) and travel by rail to a point in Texas (like Dallas or Denton).  It is either Union Pacific or Burlington Northern Santa Fe. UP or BNSF. 

Those two railroads have a duopoly in the Western United States. 

This is a contributing factor to the freight logjam that has existed for the last several months and thus part of the reason Reaper is routing the 5.5 bonus fulfillment via the Panama Canal, the Gulf of Mexico, and the port of Houston. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1