Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Oh hey, it's Friday the 13th.  Have a great day, and dont go wandering off alone to investigate any strange noises.

Ok I will just slowly back into dark rooms then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Oh hey, it's Friday the 13th.  Have a great day, and dont go wandering off alone to investigate any strange noises.

investigate all the noises, bring a sword. Get XP, maybe some gold, maybe gems, maybe some motes, either way chop chop all the way to the bank.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So my Friday the 13th has started off weird. 

First off I log in to find two notices from my bank about my wire transfer for my "salary" invoice from my client. At first I thought it was an email glitch, but nope, somehow they paid me twice for my last invoice.   Chances are I'll just be told to hold onto the money as an advance against my next invoice. 

After that I get a call from a site I haven't heard from in awhile, and he starts asking all these questions about how far back the data in his system goes and where all it is stored.  He's quite relieved when I tell him that it's all stored in Point of Sale system itself, because he says "Oh good, that's in the junk yard - pulled it out last summer."  But he wasn't so happy to learn that we take system backups when we log in, and that I do have a couple of backups from 2020 and 2018, and he asks "Can you delete those?"

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I may have a dark side...I once built a diorama with a Panzer II, setting was in France during the Invasion.

This Panzer was destroyed by the French, I had French soldiers capturing the commander of the Panzer, and I put a little hand under those tracks...

All jokes aside, you all do realise I'm in the Air Force?

If I have something parked on top of an annoying 2nd Lt ( isn't annoying a synonym for 2nd Lt by the way?) then it would look something like this:

( Note: the Lt might not be entirely visible this way, and we usually don't park our jets this way, but he was asking for it..)

1043422238_Schermafbeelding2022-05-13102312.jpg.eaa75ec62bc9b768ce48cb53aa2589bc.jpg

Silly pilots, fighter jets aren't canards, you don't park them with the nose down... 

Would love to see the gripe sheet though, probably something along the lines of "it landed weird, controls felt funny" or equally silly (and useless to maintenance) wording... 

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

So my Friday the 13th has started off weird. 

First off I log in to find two notices from my bank about my wire transfer for my "salary" invoice from my client. At first I thought it was an email glitch, but nope, somehow they paid me twice for my last invoice.   Chances are I'll just be told to hold onto the money as an advance against my next invoice. 

After that I get a call from a site I haven't heard from in awhile, and he starts asking all these questions about how far back the data in his system goes and where all it is stored.  He's quite relieved when I tell him that it's all stored in Point of Sale system itself, because he says "Oh good, that's in the junk yard - pulled it out last summer."  But he wasn't so happy to learn that we take system backups when we log in, and that I do have a couple of backups from 2020 and 2018, and he asks "Can you delete those?"

"can you delete those"... No, sorry, corporate practice is like any and all records we're required to hold onto them for 7-15 years depending on state and federal regulations.  The fact they asked that is a massive red flag in my eyes, almost like someone is being audited and is worried "something" will be found. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

"can you delete those"... No, sorry, corporate practice is like any and all records we're required to hold onto them for 7-15 years depending on state and federal regulations.  The fact they asked that is a massive red flag in my eyes, almost like someone is being audited and is worried "something" will be found. 

I'm not positive of the reason, but when I said "the cost for us to load those backups is $xxx.xx/hr or a subpoena" he replied back with "I'm sure there will be a subpoena" 

He also specifically asked about how far back the cash records in the backup would go. 

I'm thinking either audit, or civil suit between partners. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

So you're saying this might not be the best day to visit the county fair that popped up yesterday at the mall next door to where I live?

During our first heat wave of the season. (expected 33°C/91°F)

Oh and I need to bleed this afternoon. (regular bloodwork)

Maybe I should stay in?

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

So you're saying this might not be the best day to visit the county fair that popped up yesterday at the mall next door to where I live?

During our first heat wave of the season. (expected 33°C/91°F)

91 sounds nice.  We've been averaging 93-96 this week.  That's about 20° above average. Will be nice to have a weekend only in the 80s.   I'm going out because walls make me stir crazy. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Silly pilots, fighter jets aren't canards, you don't park them with the nose down... 

Would love to see the gripe sheet though, probably something along the lines of "it landed weird, controls felt funny" or equally silly (and useless to maintenance) wording... 

Unless it's a Navy Fighter.  They have an inflation device in the nose gear for carrier launches.  Allows an increased angle of attack for the wings as the bird is being launched off the front end of the aircraft carrier.

---

I had a mental red flag very similar on reading the scenario.  Somebody doesn't want any audit trails followed, which usually means somebody is playing games with the books.

Expect this business to be sold or shut down in the not to distant future.

GEM

• Like 6