Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

28 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

It's official. We have a TRENCH!!

It goes from the house to the new well head! We can run pipes! And power! And it will be awesome! Or at least, it will work.

... I am never gonna cease to be amazed by the things found while digging on this property; the count from this round includes a hubcap, a mess of random old pipe, the pipes we expected to find, and the old drain field from the original septic tank (or, at least, what we think is the old drain field; that's what the trench guy said). Also, crap ton of root invasion, a lot of head-sized rocks and a lot of sandy dirt. 

.. the cherry laurel on that side of the house took a beating, but I don't think it's going to let that stop it.

Do yourself a favor and when the trench is back-filled use some of those "head sized rocks" to mark exactly where the trench is.

Will come in handy later if you do any digging for landscaping or [hopefully not have to do] any other utility projects.

I used some regular bricks to mark the trench when our well and power lines were laid in, so I know exactly where all the utility runs are located.  Since they go right under where we have to drive to get to the house, and the propane guy has to drive the truck to fill our propane tank it's handy to know where the "soft spots" might be located.

Glad that you are close to rejoining the civilized world.

GEM

• Like 10

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just a friendly tip, but liquid super glue (in this case, BSI brand) & accelerator (BSI as well) & a metal mini & your skin, are not a good combination!!

Assembling a goblin in power armor (Reaper SKU: 50343) this afternoon & let just say gluing & pinning, you gotta hold on to the piece, the glue/acc combo seeps under the finger & BAM instant heat & attachment. One finger tip feels a little burned, so I put a little bit of aloe vera on it, just in case. Mini is solid thou, but instead of blood sacrifice, I gave it a bit of flesh.

One of my ReaperCon pregen characters,  in this case it's a goblin artificer - medium mini, small race, hmmm interesting.... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Ok, just a friendly tip, but liquid super glue (in this case, BSI brand) & accelerator (BSI as well) & a metal mini & your skin, are not a good combination!!

Assembling a goblin in power armor (Reaper SKU: 50343) this afternoon & let just say gluing & pinning, you gotta hold on to the piece, the glue/acc combo seeps under the finger & BAM instant heat & attachment. One finger tip feels a little burned, so I put a little bit of aloe vera on it, just in case. Mini is solid thou, but instead of blood sacrifice, I gave it a bit of flesh.

One of my ReaperCon pregen characters,  in this case it's a goblin artificer - medium mini, small race, hmmm interesting.... 

I've definitely done that with super glue and accelerator. Mine was a different brand though. I also had to undo what I'd done because I read assembly instructions wrong (put a ocuple of the 4 arms in the wrong spots) so now the joints on that mini are all scratched up. Was not a pleasant experience, do not recommend.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

A bit of explanation: 'mast' is Captain's Mast, a form of non judicial punishment for minor infractions such as chronic lateness or disrespect to an officer. It stays with you throughout your military career, but does not result in a criminal record once you get out of the Navy. Typical punishments include loss of pay and/or loss of rank.

282125466_10159300359307862_5848471029229235349_n.jpg.b29d0b417c0c0a2ace602960ebc09e1b.jpg

I've met a British naval folk singer named Tom Lewis that served on a shallow bottom boat for Her Majesty - the ships dog (Technically Electrician's Dog First Class) was taken to Mast for an incident involving a French Afghan hound that made it into the French papers.

Bunts (the dog) was broken to Electrician's Dog Second Class.

So, Mr. Lewis wrote a song about it. (Bunts! is the title - I'd link, but his page is a commercial site.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Zink said:

The smokening has begun!!! Wanted a smoker for years and had my kid pick me up one on sale yesterday. Got it set up and first batch of sausages going right now. Got plans of smoking a lot of things once I get more organised.

pickerel smokes nicely, and smoked deer jerky is excellent. Duck is another good choice. There are a million and one things you can do with a smoker and some patience 

• Like 7

Wife is on schedule to come home tomorrow. She’s doing much better today than yesterday. The occasional nose bleed, but hell, she had a chunk of skull removed. 

Meanwhile, lost an apple tree and a huge leafy tree, plus several large branches in another. Got a chainsaw from HD and could NOT get it started even with help from YouTube! So got Ryobi’s 40v electric one. Hope it can do the trick.

But damn, ya’ll. Stress monster is eating me alive this week. Work, bees, pets, surgery, trees! And it didn’t help that I dehydrated myself yesterday. Got really dizzy to the point that I felt drunk lying down. I am behaving better today, drinking lots of water and even had a salad at the hospital. 

• Like 14
  • Sad 4

34 minutes ago, ShadowRaven said:

pickerel smokes nicely, and smoked deer jerky is excellent. Duck is another good choice. There are a million and one things you can do with a smoker and some patience 

Been collecting recipes for awhile now and happy to finally get to try some. I need to wait another month until I get a beef butchered before I can go real wild with it. It was a snap decision to buy so don't have much on hand to try. Today was a mild disappointment with a bit of learning. Sausage was good but not really any better than fast cooking on the BBQ. Potatoes were good but undercooked a little because I should have upped the temp and supper was running way late. Asparagus can be done quicker and tastier in a frying pan on the stove. Tomorrow will be a chunk of pork belly and roast beef. Jerky is high on my list but I'm low on beef and not quite ready to poach a deer for it. Will be doing a bunch of smoked sausage over the summer.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

@Pegazus:

Good to hear your wife is doing well and will be coming home tomorrow. 

Make sure you're taking care of yourself, though. Heat related injuries are absolutely no fun, and can get real dangerous real quick. 

Drink more water!

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Wife is on schedule to come home tomorrow. She’s doing much better today than yesterday. The occasional nose bleed, but hell, she had a chunk of skull removed. 

Meanwhile, lost an apple tree and a huge leafy tree, plus several large branches in another. Got a chainsaw from HD and could NOT get it started even with help from YouTube! So got Ryobi’s 40v electric one. Hope it can do the trick.

But damn, ya’ll. Stress monster is eating me alive this week. Work, bees, pets, surgery, trees! And it didn’t help that I dehydrated myself yesterday. Got really dizzy to the point that I felt drunk lying down. I am behaving better today, drinking lots of water and even had a salad at the hospital. 

You need to watch your electrolytes when you get dehydrated.  A sports drink or two will help in these situations, which is what they are designed for, both to prevent dehydration and the possible side effects of your electrolytes going out of balance.

It's good to hear your wife is doing well and will be coming home sooner rather than later.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Most modern "sports drinks" are high in sugar and contain very few, if any electrolytes.  You're better off with plain water.   If you can handle it coconut water has sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium, among others.  Not everyone finds the taste appealing, though. 

• Like 6

Well, it's cloudy and grey this morning, and it looks like it'll stay that way all day. It's nice though; the temperature has cooled off to (currently) 60 degrees (f). That's a nice change from almost 2 weeks of 95+.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Most modern "sports drinks" are high in sugar and contain very few, if any electrolytes.  You're better off with plain water.   If you can handle it coconut water has sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium, among others.  Not everyone finds the taste appealing, though. 

Andi says that Skratch Labs electrolyte powders aren't too bad. At least they taste like what they claim to be flavored. 

• Like 7