Jump to content

Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

If you're cutting up and disposing of most of the Denver metro area, you'd better drink some more water, you're gonna be busy for a while.::P:


Cheeky.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Most modern "sports drinks" are high in sugar and contain very few, if any electrolytes.  You're better off with plain water.   If you can handle it coconut water has sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium, among others.  Not everyone finds the taste appealing, though. 

 

 

 

You are correct about the sugar but I have to disagree with you on the electrolytes.

They don't contain electrolytes as electrolytes but the building blocks in the form of sodium, potassium, magnesium, and Calcium.  Given the raw materials the body will build the necessary electrolytes as needed.  When you get dehydrated your body looses electrolytes through the sweating process and soon depletes the available stores of raw materials, which leads to electrolyte imbalance as a side effect.

Plain water doesn't contain enough of the right materials, especially city water which is highly processed in most municipalities,, to provide any relief for an electrolyte imbalance.

Read the labels.  I use Powerade on a daily basis for my head injury.  The reason I use it instead of the sometimes more easily available Gatorade is because it contains more B vitamins.

I just checked an online label and nutrition summary for coconut water.  Very high in Potassium, much lower amounts of the other building blocks.  No B vitamins in measurable amounts.

GEM

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have looked at the Gatorade labels and they contain salt (sodium) and sometimes potassium.  Looking at various Powerade labels online I see pretty much the same thing, sodium and potassium, and a negligible amount of magnesium (less than 1%).  None have calcium or phosphorus which you get (even if it is a small percentage) in coconut water. 

 

B vitamins are great, (I take B Complex myself) but they're not electrolytes and won't help if you've just come in from working outside and feel like passing out.  Water is always a good choice, even without electrolytes, because it solves the major problem right away, which is hydration. 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

If you're cutting up and disposing of most of the Denver metro area, you'd better drink some more water, you're gonna be busy for a while.::P:

Whatever happens, please make sure the Western Heritage Collection at the Denver Public Library remains safe.

GEM

24 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I have looked at the Gatorade labels and they contain salt (sodium) and sometimes potassium.  Looking at various Powerade labels online I see pretty much the same thing, sodium and potassium, and a negligible amount of magnesium (less than 1%).  None have calcium or phosphorus which you get (even if it is a small percentage) in coconut water. 

 

B vitamins are great, (I take B Complex myself) but they're not electrolytes and won't help if you've just come in from working outside and feel like passing out.  Water is always a good choice, even without electrolytes, because it solves the major problem right away, which is hydration. 

 

 

 

I agree on the hydration issue.  Once you deal with that, you need to deal with the electrolytes.  To ignore the electrolyte balance issue is to risk excess fatigue at a minimum, possibly going goofy in the head to the point where you risk passing out, and in extreme cases hospitalization.  That's why so many people treated for "exposure" end up in hospital, because their electrolytes have gone so far out of whack they have to be treated with intravenous fluids.

Potassium is the most easily depleted element, with Calcium running second and sodium third.  Most of the other elements will be present in sufficient quantities in a balanced diet or may be acquired through a daily supplement.

I would really like to find a low sugar alternative to the Powerade, but every time I "read the label" of any of the multitude of  low sugar alternatives, they come up short on the nutritive end, often in the B vitamins.

On the label, you have to read down into the ingredients: .....ELECTROLYTES (SALT, MONO-POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE,MAGNESIUM AND CALCIUM CHLORIDES)........

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are just pure awesomeness!

 

https://youtu.be/2zkCJbfe2Pk

(Van Free Riot "Ain't talking about Metal Health Now")

 

https://youtu.be/57SNPbxi0r0

(RATT & Marvin Gaye "I heard it Round & Round the Grapevine")

 

https://youtu.be/J1XHDlmDKK8

(Black Sabbath, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and the Ohio Players - "Fire Into the Jungle")

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TripleH said:

 

I'll take the apple wood, if you deliver. 😛


Uh… sure. Can probably bring it to ReaperCon. It’ll fit in your carry-on!

 

9900CCCD-BE52-416F-8D1E-6715BA030CEF.thumb.jpeg.7c8fd6048e71a7deb546bcafa931be4e.jpeg

 

Those are my footprints. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There's nothing quite like getting to sit down and work on something you've wanted to for a while.. Finally getting waterslides on my Master Grade Strike Rouge! 

 

20220522_222829.thumb.jpg.da841d705dfe47c5bccddbf9f590e560.jpg

 

Playfully also broke in one of my wet palettes, but odds are it won't see paint as its just too small for my taste (surface for such is barely 3.5x6"), but it's plenty of space for waterslides... 

 

I do have to say though.  The DL Decals are alright, but I definitely prefer ones from Delpi Decal, as they not only have more (and crisper) detail, but they're a lot nicer to work with. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

There's nothing quite like getting to sit down and work on something you've wanted to for a while.. Finally getting waterslides on my Master Grade Strike Rouge! 

 

20220522_222829.thumb.jpg.da841d705dfe47c5bccddbf9f590e560.jpg

 

Playfully also broke in one of my wet palettes, but odds are it won't see paint as its just too small for my taste (surface for such is barely 3.5x6"), but it's plenty of space for waterslides... 

 

I do have to say though.  The DL Decals are alright, but I definitely prefer ones from Delpi Decal, as they not only have more (and crisper) detail, but they're a lot nicer to work with. 

 

Aren't those foam squares nice? Simple but they solve the bottle tipping problem.

 

Always, a treat sitting down getting hobby time in.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sumbloke said:

Australian election was on Saturday. Our new Prime Minister was sworn in this morning.


Hurrah?

 

Boo ??

 

:rock: Politics in Random Thread . . .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not trying to make any comment about whether this is good or bad. Just noting the timeline. They're only about 70% of the way through counting the votes.

 

He was sworn in as an emergency measure so he could attend a summit with other nations. Votes were clear enough that his party would be able to form government, even if that requires support from one or two minor parties or independents, so the governor general was willing to swear him in.

Edited by sumbloke
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...