Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Note to self: pg 707

So...starting tomorrow is going to be my husband's family reunion.

Which will be hosted at our place.

For a whole week (as in everyone will be staying with us).

I wouldn't be freaking out nearly so much, except there will be two little nephews (one of whom has autism) and one little niece, all under the age of 4. We do not have kids, nothing in our house is childproofed, nor do we have things like high-chairs or toddler toilet seats. My anxiety has been going absolutely haywire picturing and trying to mitigate every possible dangerous thing that could go wrong (it also doesn't help that we have a split-level, and the stairs are steep; I will be installing a baby gate at both top and bottom but I'm still gonna worry).

Does anyone have any advice? I'm already moving/locking up any chemicals or breakables or sharp stuff that's below about 3.5 feet, but what else should I consider?

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

At that age, they may be prone to climbing; anchor things like bookshelves accordingly. You'll probably want to lock some doors. 😕

You already know that anything and everything is likely to end up in their mouths.. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I just have to comment that you're a brave woman. 

I couldn't put up with my wife's family in our home for a week, nor her mine. 

I've already let MrBoot know that I WILL need to occasionally disappear. I also anticipate that I will never want to do this again. I also am already expecting that at least one thing will get broken, by a kid OR an adult. I just hope it's something that will clean up easily. :unsure:

This all came about because it's his turn to be in charge of the reunion this year, and since we currently have house space (plus a lot of his family are tight on money), it makes the most logical sense for them to stay with us. Granted, not everyone will be there the entire time, which will make it manageable (Sunday is the only day all 12 adults + 3 kids will be there), but I'll still be very glad when it's over.

I never want to hear the word "reunion" again for a very long time after this. :wacko:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Does anyone have any advice? I'm already moving/locking up any chemicals or breakables or sharp stuff that's below about 3.5 feet, but what else should I consider?

Children have parents. Give the parents a list of gear-for-tiny-humans they will need to bring. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@OneBoot Moms and Dads will be pros at watching the kids. Also, Aunts, Uncles and cousins will want to be playing with/drooling over them. As has been said, the folks will be traveling with the needed equipment for them. Our house is regularly invaded by wee ones and we are regularly traveling to see them. Get a cheap Walmart stuffed animal for each of them and if a boy is involved Hotwheels cars. A lot of autistic kids love Legos. You will do it and do fine. And don't be afraid to say "I'm not used to kids, give me a second." The moms will understand.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So I got caught in one of those warm weather thunderstorms this afternoon with some friends. We couldn't get away from it at the time so we just laughed and played in the rain. Then went and sat on the patio of a nearby brewery where we proceeded to drink beer and tell lies with a bunch of other soggy people. Felt like being 30 years younger for a minute there. 

Anyways, cheers all. Go play in the rain if you get a chance. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I've already let MrBoot know that I WILL need to occasionally disappear. I also anticipate that I will never want to do this again. I also am already expecting that at least one thing will get broken, by a kid OR an adult. I just hope it's something that will clean up easily. :unsure:

This all came about because it's his turn to be in charge of the reunion this year, and since we currently have house space (plus a lot of his family are tight on money), it makes the most logical sense for them to stay with us. Granted, not everyone will be there the entire time, which will make it manageable (Sunday is the only day all 12 adults + 3 kids will be there), but I'll still be very glad when it's over.

I never want to hear the word "reunion" again for a very long time after this. :wacko:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

It sounds like you need me to make a pocket dimension for your place.

Also, museum wax might work for keeping things from being jostled.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I wouldn't be freaking out nearly so much, except there will be two little nephews (one of whom has autism) and one little niece, all under the age of 4. We do not have kids, nothing in our house is childproofed, nor do we have things like high-chairs or toddler toilet seats. My anxiety has been going absolutely haywire picturing and trying to mitigate every possible dangerous thing that could go wrong (it also doesn't help that we have a split-level, and the stairs are steep; I will be installing a baby gate at both top and bottom but I'm still gonna worry).

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

I would hope that the parents have thought of things like High-chairs (or booster seats) and bring them along - when ours were younger we considered that our responsibility, along with playpens and other things to keep them amused

At 2 my eldest could get through baby gates through brute force, so as much as it is a pain you may want to consider a secondary locking mechanism to keep those baby gates closed. Or try shaking them after installation to see if they will pop open easily.

For cupboards that have loop handles, you can get devices that will loop around and ratchet in that require two hands and a bit of finger strength to open, alternatively chain and a padlock also works...

Of course, the other alternative is to house-proof the children rather than childproofing the house

• Like 7

15 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Note to self: pg 707

So...starting tomorrow is going to be my husband's family reunion.

Which will be hosted at our place.

For a whole week (as in everyone will be staying with us).

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Know who will be your allies in helping you guys around and which ones are dead weight.

Some people are good with kids, some with cleaning, some with errands. Some know how to handle large gatherings and be useful, while others are just there to chill and be served or entertained.

My "family secret" is to have lists. Checklists of what you need on a daily basis. A list of restaurants, groceries and caterers. Plan the menus in advance and know when it's time to make room in the kitchen. Know what can be kept in the fridge and what can wait in the freezer and thaw overnight. Plenty of trash bags in large easy to find trash cans. If you have rotating teams of dish washers on schedule, your kitchen won't look like disaster movie (check that there's plenty of dish soap and dish towels). Make sure there's plenty of accessible toilet paper in each rest room. If it's hot, you'll always want to make fresh ice in the freezer. Large coolers with icy water will keep tons of beverages cold for a long time (keep that ice production going!).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

When I was younger we always had a lot of guests living with us over the summer. Various cousins of my parents with their families would make their rounds staying with different people. We get together a few times a years with relatives that lived nearby. My sister and her family would be with us nearly all summer. I was never really involved with the logistics of handling the hordes, mostly spent my time amusing the older kids and teenagers and doing whatever odd jobs to help. 5-10 extra people most of the time and groups of up to 50 often. Somehow whoever was hosting kept us all fed and sometimes the sleeping arrangements were pretty tight.

Then the older generations starting getting too old to travel and camp out, their kids weren't as interested in maintaining close ties to 2nd and 3rd cousins and several turned into greedy backstabbing @#@&$ and now we rarely get together with one family at a time and no more big groups. One the one hand it's a little sad we don't visit. On the other I'm older, tired and just don't want to deal with hordes of guests and the inevitable tensions between them all. If only the few I really like were closer so we could do things together I'd be happy. As it is I'm content that the ones I dislike aren't in my face often.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Not even the "reunion" in Denton this Labor Day Weekend? :devil:

My family really needs to have a proper reunion soon. The last few big family get togethers have been in relation to funerals. :down:

In happier news, after 118 days, we have finally closed on our mortgage refinance. Now comes the headache of dealing with the construction!  But first, we're going to take a much needed break by heading up to Minneapolis to go to the Mall of America. 

You all have a great Memorial Day Weekend. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2