Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Saw this this morning and thought I'd share:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e70846bb98b6a07cfc6d1aec4b6b4239.png

Have I told y'all about the broccoli show that is my dishwasher situation? Well if I haven't here goes...

Spoiler

So dishwasher dies a few months ago. Finally get around to ordering one around Memorial Day, got a huge discount. Got an email about install appointment and stuff.

Day of install goes long because they didn't get there until about 5pm. Which I'd kind of expected, they texted me the night before, but still annoying.

They get old dishwasher taken out. I go hide in my room because anxiety is high at this point. I don't like strangers in my house at the best of times. About 10-15 minutes later I get a knock on the door. It's Husband, I am needed in the kitchen.

Turns out they cannot install the dishwasher. There is a board that supports our counter top that sticks out too far by about 1-1.5 inches and a lip in the tile where it should fit but does not. If they'd have put it in it would have gone in at an angle. Which would eventually kill it. Which is why the last one died, twice. We had decided to get the new dishwasher because it was cheaper to do that then have it fixed again. I'd chalked it up to a defective dishwasher.

Anyway, they can't install it. They take the old one (we'd paid for disposal). They also tell us they'll take the new one back to the store. We have not heard from the store about a refund yet. I am hoping I don't have to call them again. We paid about $1k USD for everything. I know we won't get all of that back because some of it was parts needed to install that weren't included with the dishwasher (they left those) and probably a handling fee for the old dishwasher but still at least $750USD of that was just dishwasher. Kind of glad we hadn't paid for a protection plan at the time of ordering. We couldn't make up our minds if we wanted one or not.

My big question is WHY THE HELL NO ONE EVER TOLD US ABOUT THE PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?! Obviously the person who installed it for Home Depot had to have noticed something wasn't right when they installed it. The guy that came and repaired it also never said anything about it being angled or not fitting right. I'd have thought he'd noticed when he pulled it out to check it out. I was livid when I thought that he hadn't screwed it into the countertop or where ever it was supposed to be screwed in so I did it myself.

I am effing livid about this whole situation. Like we could have saved a whole lot of trouble had someone told us this when we got the last dishwasher installed. Now we have to find someone to come out and look at it. Which I'm not looking forward to because we've not been able to find anyone to come measure our front door so we can get it replaced, we've been looking for over a year at this point. I'm thinking we'll either need to replace countertops, which honestly probably needs doing anyway. Or cut up the floor tile to get rid of the lip so it will be a little further forward but won't be on an angle.

FIL wants to come out and look at it which would be fine except the house is a mess and I feel like every time he comes out he's judging us. He never says anything to us but that's the vibe I get. We've got a lot of crap in the living room, which is basically a weirdly shaped large hallway IMO, but there is a walking path so it's not like it's not out of the way. I'm just UGH at the whole situation.

We had held off on doing dishes until the dishwasher was installed because my back is bad and does not like me standing and lifting dishes to wash them. I get very overwhelmed when the sink is full, which it is currently, so that also makes me pretty useless at that. So most of our cooking dishes are dirty and some of them are in a big locking bin that is now sitting on the back porch because we needed to move it so they could get around with the dishwasher installation.

So I'm trying to decide if I want to give up and take it all to the in-laws house during the week and do a metric elf ton of dishes in their dishwasher. I'll probably break down and end up doing that. definitely won't take all of them at once because it's a lot more than I want to admit.

I just don't want to spend the gas if we don't have to. It's about 25 minutes to there from our house.

Our youngest niece is going to be in town for a couple weeks on the 23rd and we might be able to bring some a bit at a time since Husband will be going back and forth periodically to check up on the house and whatnot. So I figure he can bring a smaller bin at a time and we can slowly get things washed since we won't be home to use them after they are cleaned. Maybe between the two of us if we get them all done at in-laws house we'll be able to keep up with them after because the sink won't be full.

I am at the point I'm ready to start throwing dishes away because I'm so irritated with this whole mess. 

Well, that's that.

I was going to spend some time writing today but the idea I had last night did not get written down as usual. Now I do not remember anything about it so, maybe, it'll come back to me.

In better news, I've been getting some painting done at a fairly steady pace. I was going to paint this bust in tandem with a dragon I got as a present for my SIL but that hasn't been started yet because I need to do some boiling and readjusting of the tail.

• Like 5
  • Sad 8

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three calls today where customers wanted to order an expensive circuit board, then got annoyed when I insisted on doing proper troubleshooting first.  First two were simple settings, no parts needed. Waiting to hear back from the third. 

The first one today was really annoying, because the guy was insistent he wanted a board because it "kept failing", and hadn't worked right for "over two years now".  Went back through the ticket history, and found that a comm setting kept resetting back to default*.   The techs who handled all of these calls kept just resetting the comm setting to the non-standard one without considering if it really needed to be the non-standard setting.  I did a bit of digging, found that it didn't need to be, and so reconfigured the system with the default setting.  So now it should keep working, because it is default.   Then spent 10 minutes trying to convince the owner he still didn't need a board, and was only successful once he got his guy on site to try it, and as I expected, it worked.  Now why the other two techs spent two years doing only the bare minimum fix over and over and over, I have no idea. 🤦🏾‍♂️

*known bug with a couple of firmware versions, but not a critical one that needs rectifying IF the site doesn't need custom comm settings.  Most sites don't. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Whoa! I actually painted something this morning/afternoon. I even got a clear coat on it! Nolzur's Displacer Beast. Simple paint job but it works. Started with AP matte black primer, then I spray Tamiya TS-15 (which is a dark blue). After that had dried, I drybrushed some grey onto the rocky base & called it good. As I was spraying, I could have used a black wash, but overall it looks pretty good for a quick paint job. Kitty is in the case ready to go for the FLGS tonight, so no pics, at least for now.

This is like the 3rd item I've cleared with Testor's Dullcoat since my LHS got in new stock. It doesn't look as matte as it was before. Granted the Tamiya is very glossy, so who knows. I kinda like the results from Krylon's matte spray for artists.

• Like 10

20 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

Probably wouldn't work, the librarian put it that way to mess with historians

To add some context to this, my work at the moment involves historians, and some feedback we've received from them regarding new features. More than 50% of the feedback has been 'add this function' or 'make search do this', where that function/search feature already exists, and in many cases has existed for at least 10 years...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Arrgghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My D&D kids are throwing me loops. 

We talked a couple sessions ago, and I gave them the choice of continuing this campaign for another year or two, or wrapping it up and moving on to a different campaign. They all decided to move on to something new.  So I wrote up some campaign pitches, and sent them a poll to rank their favorite ideas, with the understanding that there would be a run-off vote between the top two ideas. 

The top idea is a campaign set in my long-running fantasy campaign of Iskitaan - a setting they've seen my stuff for, and I've talked about, but they've never played.  The runner-up was a Traveller game in an Expanse like setting. These results themselves were surprising - I seriously thought they'd go for either the Star Wars game or the D&D Dragon Rider campaign. 

So I started doing a bunch of prep work to get ready for an Iskitaan campaign, since it was ranked #1 by most of the kids. Figured I didn't need to wait for the results of the run-off vote, since it was a clear majority in the rankings. 

I just checked on the results of the run-off voting, and the Traveller game is winning 3-1.  Still 2 more votes to go, but it's either going to be a Traveller game, or a tie. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

In accordance with the prophesy.

...I have returned. (Waitstaff in two states have learned to fear this statement, as it portends the emptying of the coffee and sugar stockpiles...)

With the weather doing it's best immitation of the Sun's Anvil, (I don't want to hear any namby pamby boohooing about the 12 inch guns at Aqaba, they're pointed at the sea and can't be turned inland....), I've been driven into a nocturnal existence except for brief excursions to water the tomato plants. 

So I've returned to my old habit of sitting and basking in the moonlight these last few nights. Or tried to anyway.

First there was the obnoxiously bright streetlights the city put in, which meant that I'd have to do this on the back porch. No problem, that was my usual spot years ago. However the next door neighbor to the West has decided to light up their porch like a Reno Saturday night, which nessesitated me finding a spot in the back yard shielded both from the streetlight and the neighbor's lights. Irritating, but doable.

Tonight I go out to find that now that neighbor has begun lighting up their backyard as well, leaving me with no spot where I'm able to properly bask, illuminated only by natural light.

I don't know if this was deliberate on the neighbor's part, but there is definately a higher force attempting to ensure that no matter what attempt I make to relax in my old ways, that they will be foiled. 

This also means that I cannot kill the forsythia, since that's the only blockage from the backyard light I've got. (Well played my ancient foe, well played...) I need to look into getting some lattice boards, create some kind of privacy wall that won't trigger the city's zoning goons...

Other than that, it was a nice night, lightning to the West, yellow moon with a face remnicient of a Jack O Lantern rising over the trees around 11:30 pm, ominous whispers of the tree branches in the wind, lack of traffic and noise...

• Like 8

13 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Three calls today where customers wanted to order an expensive circuit board, then got annoyed when I insisted on doing proper troubleshooting first.  First two were simple settings, no parts needed. Waiting to hear back from the third. 

The first one today was really annoying, because the guy was insistent he wanted a board because it "kept failing", and hadn't worked right for "over two years now".  Went back through the ticket history, and found that a comm setting kept resetting back to default*.   The techs who handled all of these calls kept just resetting the comm setting to the non-standard one without considering if it really needed to be the non-standard setting.  I did a bit of digging, found that it didn't need to be, and so reconfigured the system with the default setting.  So now it should keep working, because it is default.   Then spent 10 minutes trying to convince the owner he still didn't need a board, and was only successful once he got his guy on site to try it, and as I expected, it worked.  Now why the other two techs spent two years doing only the bare minimum fix over and over and over, I have no idea. 🤦🏾‍♂️

*known bug with a couple of firmware versions, but not a critical one that needs rectifying IF the site doesn't need custom comm settings.  Most sites don't. 

How much did they earn for all those service calls?

• Like 5

My "Bad Times are coming" meter is in the red zone right now.   Between the economy, Russia threatening to attack the Baltic states, and China mulling attacking Taiwan it seems we are in for some interesting times ahead.  So I suggest all of you make sure you have extra food and water stored at home, and buy extra of anything you cannot live without now. 

Sorry to be such a downer, but I feel the need to warn everyone to prepare. 

• Like 9

Ruh roh.  Sorry wallet Bandai restock hit a local shop and two of the kits on my highly desired list are in stock...  Hoping they still are once cheque comes in, and that there's room to get slightly creative on said cheque... 

• Like 5