Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

104 was our high today, highest temp yet & while I didn't feel it till late in the afternoon, I felt it trying to go to sleep tonight. At least I got a few hours this morning after I got home from work. cause work would be a pita. At least it a short shift with no load. I can always doze on my break as well.

I think the AC unit get installed upstairs, hopefully it still works.

• Like 9

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Up way too late, statting things for the pagan retreat - I had convinced myself that it was going to be cancelled again.

I was wrong. ::D:

Launching a different campaign, two years of downtime, so... I am going to do the Regency Space game, with the first being the Salvage Mission.

If Megan has afternoons clear, I may have her as a ringer. (The PC that gets possessed, should be a lot smoother with a ringer than an actual PC.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

G.R.F.F.N Food Log:

Stardate: 20220627

…Captain's Log: G.R.F.F.N is losing badly in the Food Logs competition. We are far behind in data transmissions. SparkTrubble Internet (not their real name) may bear some fault in this.

Nevertheless, We carry on with the quest for the perfect burger. The latest attempt involved a larger bun…

6B9E2AAE-DB5E-4EBA-88F0-9289AA24E6F9.thumb.jpeg.9494617ea53e8fb9b4b176cfa1ea522f.jpeg

Sir Kensington’s Tomato Ketchup, Green Leaf Lettuce, Angus Beef seasoned with Black Pepper, Muenster Cheese, (Vidalia?) Sweet Onion sautéed in Olive Oil, on an extra large, store brand, absolutely plain bun. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Last night we picked up Youngest Vixen from the Airport after she had been away for studying in Norway for 6 Months.

Despite Farmer Protests and Delayswe got her home safely.

WOOF FOOD LOG:

Saturday's Dinner:

A Pitabread with Adana Kebab, a Salad of Spinach/Macademia Nuts/Strawberries/Cucumber and dressing of Applecidervinegar/Lemon Juice/Olive Oil and Honey.

Apologies..our Agent was a little hungry and took a big bite of the pita before we could take a pic.

20220624_175035.thumb.jpg.08c02abfb1b776397bfb32a8f0f988dc.jpg

My girl made fresh Applesauce, I put some cinnamon and powdered sugar over it ( despite the fact that it already contained cinnamon...what can I say? I just love cinnamon)

20220624_175038.jpg.b9ea62512c5b06c49ee4cd0897f6c530.jpg

SUNDAY's DINNER:

Toasted Baquette on a bed of Babyspinach, warm Crispy Bacon, Goat Cheese from the Oven with Pinenutseeds and Honey/Lemon Dressing.

20220625_182608.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Morning!  I get an afternoon out of the office, testing some new equipment at a local customer's site. I love these days, as I get to concentrate on one customer and ignore the rest. 

The next 3-6 months are going to be trying.  The merchant processor we primarily use for credit card processing in Canada has doubled down on Visa's Oct 15th deadline to get rid of mag stripe and replace them with Chip & Tap, and has started sending out what appear to be bi-weekly or possibly even weekly reminders to merchants who haven't upgraded yet. With less than four months to that deadline, we have tons of sites who haven't upgraded yet asking us for alternatives. 

The best part? There are no alternatives.  The only difference in the other two merchant processor options is that they haven't been sending out the notices as frequently.  

So we're going to spend the next 3-6 months explaining to sites that don't want to spend money that they either have to, or they have to stop accepting credit cards.  There is a small possibility that Visa and the processors will extend the deadline yet again and/or will still allow mag stripe transactions after it at significantly higher fees (they have done so in the past), but we won't know that until Oct 15th comes along.  My guess is that come Oct 16th, they'll double, triple, possibly even quadruple the credit card fees for mag stripe, then around January  they will start randomly turning merchants off for 2-3 days at a time to get their attention, and by this time next year they'll just start holding on to the funds of those still processing via mag stripe until they do upgrade. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Happy National Paul Bunyan day!

?? ?? ??

:upside: :unsure: :huh:

52 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

…sites that don't want to spend money that they either have to, or they have to stop accepting credit cards. 

Is this just car washes? Or every kind of merchant in Canada?

There is another option: Close Permanently—exit the business. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, TGP said:

Most places you haven't been able to swipe your card for easily five years.  Pretty much everything is chip with pin these days due to the extra layer of security it has. 

• Like 4

RTB Pro-Tips! SKU#30008 Elf Wizard, Alaedril! 6-28-22.  Started at 11:48 AM.  There were tech issues today.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

ETA: Pics of newborn puppies were shown, and one will be Anne's new puppy.  Anne will need to travel to get her puppy in eight weeks.  This will be right before ReaperCon, and she doesn't want to travel to Texas with the pup.  Anne said she won't be at the con, and that will be a first for her.

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Yeah, Canada's a bit ahead of the  US in the move away from less secure processing.  The EU has been no mag stripes at all for several years now.  The US is getting there, I think in 2019 or so they finally started charging increased fees for swipe transactions over chip/tap, but the difference isn't high enough for merchants to completely get rid of stripe only machines yet.  (some are, especially the bigger places, that's why you're FINALLY starting to see chip readers at the gas pumps.)

We're probably 2-3 years behind Canada in making the difference prohibitively expensive.

• Like 4