Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

We had a cookout today, since the weather wasn’t too hot. It was all going well, until I realized that were were yellow jackets all over the yard. At first I thought they were bees, but the pictures on the interwebs confirm it’s yellowjackets.

Wasps are beneficial pollinators and typically won't bother you, but you can get spray cans from any hardware store that will hit the nest from 20 feet away.  Wear a mask, because you really do not want to inhale that stuff. 

• Like 7

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Wear a mask, because you really do not want to inhale that stuff. 

This is why I posted the link to the Organic Gardener fellow. He recommends substances —to use against Wasp Nests— that are more natural and not  dangerous synthetic neurotoxins. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

This is why I posted the link to the Organic Gardener fellow. He recommends substances —to use against Wasp Nests— that are more natural and not  dangerous synthetic neurotoxins. 

More natural and less dangerous do not necessarily go hand in hand. In the case of pesticides they're often at odds, because the synthetic ones are specifically designed to do just enough and no more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

We had a cookout today, since the weather wasn’t too hot. It was all going well, until I realized that were were yellow jackets all over the yard. At first I thought they were bees, but the pictures on the interwebs confirm it’s yellowjackets.

So, Sephy isn’t going outside until we get the problem sorted. MIL says there was a nest in one of the dead trees, so we may have to figure out how to deal with that in a couple weekends when we start work on clearing out all the trees around the house.

d27704954392179f485eb223b5557161.jpg.c8f79b720ad7b5587cba3366e707f6f2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

How we deal with wasps at the farm: Once the nest is located, wait until dusk. Have barrel primed. Suit up in snowsuit, the whole deal. Ski goggles not optional. Cut nest from tree. Run full bore across yard, you don't want to lose any. Place in barrel. Light it up! Don't worry, nature designed wasp nests to be made out of super flammable paper, so no accellerant should be needed. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Froggy the Great said:

I could never get one cat to piledrive the other with this method.  What am I doing wrong?

They are smarter than that…? They know you are supposed to aim at the burglars. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

How we deal with wasps at the farm: Once the nest is located, wait until dusk. Have barrel primed. Suit up in snowsuit, the whole deal. Ski goggles not optional. Cut nest from tree. Run full bore across yard, you don't want to lose any. Place in barrel. Light it up! Don't worry, nature designed wasp nests to be made out of super flammable paper, so no accellerant should be needed. 

see, fire.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

There's always fire

30704534.jpg

We always get them inside the pipes on a antenna style clothesline we have in the backyard. I'll just use the wasp spray foam cans, thank you very much. I have no idea how they keep making them inside there as it's packed with old wasp nests from years past.

40 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

I could never get one cat to piledrive the other with this method.  What am I doing wrong?

I think you need to ask the WWF for advice on this one:

41NEVAWd0WL._AC_.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Uggh - not on friendly terms with Wasps right now. Got stung three times by them last month during a site visit in Indiana, when I opened up a self serve receipt station that had three nests inside.   This weekend, while pulling up some boards on the built in deck benches to replace them, discovered we had two on our deck underneath said benches.  Lost at least two hours of work time (not in a row) dealing with them (mostly trying to avoid getting stung & running to store to get more wasp spray). 

Monday has started off it's usual wonderful self.  Lots of electrical surges over the weekend that took electronics out, most likely related to the recent solar activity and regional thunderstorms. 

One of the sites affected was my "problem child" owner with the 20+ year old obsolete equipment, so this should be fun. I'm already trying to work on making my "I'm sorry, but I told you so" sound somewhat sympathetic.  

On the up side, I'm out of office tomorrow doing a local teller installation, and off on Friday to fly to CO to help my parents, so that ticket is likely going to bounce around the entire service department. 

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Grrr...

I hate listing something on eBay/FB Marketplace, etc, and then getting messages from people asking questions that are answered in the ad!

I also hate that.

I also hate the realization that I've been That Guy on more than one occasion...

• Like 7