Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

My recruiter didn't lie to me, either. That's partially because he didn't need to, and partially because he couldn't. I had done my research and knew what I wanted. I had also spoken with my dad who had spent some time in the Army, and one of his friends, who had been in the Navy. By the time that I went to speak with him, I had absolutely no unrealistic expectations of what I was getting myself into, and a pretty good idea of how I was going to be treated.

• Like 9

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Addendum:  that's Two Weeks Each Way.

Did you steam across the big middle of the Pacific or was it more of a 

San Diego — Alaska — Japan — Coast of China — Hong Kong

route?

• Like 7

I thought about joining the Canadian navy as a reserve when I was younger. I was going to apply to be a cook, because I like cooking, have industrial cafeteria experience and because the cook is the medic on reserve ships. Everybody wants to get in as a medic, so very few do, so this was my clever work around. Rumour has it that the WWII navy was a lot of prairie boys, since they didn't want to march, they joined the navy. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Did you steam across the big middle of the Pacific or was it more of a 

San Diego — Alaska — Japan — Coast of China — Hong Kong

route?

West Coast to Hawaii and then across the big blue [much of which is more green than blue] to the Philippines.  Subic Bay in the Philippines was the major port facility for the big carriers, where we would return to after every line period except when we went to Hong Kong.

While in Hong Kong the CO had made arrangement for a paint job on the hull.  They swapped all the spent brass casings from the 5" guns , which otherwise would have been deep sixed, for the job.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

They swapped all the spent brass casings from the 5" guns , which otherwise would have been deep sixed, for the job.

So the whole task group saved its brass?

(Can’t think of any recent class of carrier that had 5 inch guns . . . Forrestal ?)

• Like 3

Three is much too early. I have 32 oz of joy juice to consume. Won’t allow myself to go back to sleep so it’s YouTube while I wait for the inevitable.

See ya’ll tomorrow. Pretty sure I will be out of it for today. 

• Like 7

3 days off in a row for me this week (crap reminds me, I need to put in my time off for tomorrow....)! I was going to take the time off for a concert on the 2nd of this month, but overall the cost was a bit too much for me to want to pay, so I just choose a later date in the month. I figured I can do some RCon prep without having to worry about working that night. Most likely will figure out if I have enough foam trays for RCon minis or probably just use my 2 hard cases this year instead. I'll strap em together to form 1 carry-on if need be.

I know I wanna work on maps, so I'll probably start that today. I'm gonna draw out a couple onto Gaming Paper ahead of time & then at the Con, get a poster frame sheet & cover it to give me a writeable surface. It'll be a 10 dollar purchase, I won't be taking back with me. Feels weird, not having any minis to paint up thou.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TGP said:

So the whole task group saved its brass?

(Can’t think of any recent class of carrier that had 5 inch guns . . . Forrestal ?)

USS Ranger, one of the four Forestall Class Super Carriers.

Ranger [CV/CVA61] was first US Carrier built from the keel up to have an angled flight deck.

It was the second US Carrier to have the name of Ranger, the first being CV4, and the 6th US Warship to be named Ranger.

Forestall Class still carried 5" guns, which were pretty much obsolete by the Vietnam War.

Aft port Gun Sponson was on the opposite side of the hull plating from our shop spaces.  When the cannon cockers played with their toys we had to wear our mickey mouse ears* in the shop.

Was just Rangers spent brass that was used for the paint job.

GEM

*Mickey Mouse Ears are the over the ear heavy hearing protection necessary for wear around high performance jet aircraft.

• Like 5

I placed an order with GW, and the fact they courier drives me crazy. I get why they do, Canada Post won't accept spray cans. But all the other couriers leave my parcels at the post office, UPS won't. So I'm going to make them work for it. They can drive their little truck to the far end of the farm with paints all winter long, for the minimum amount of order to get free shipping. Maybe I'll wait until it gets really rainy to place another order... We do own the truck wash in town, after all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I thought about joining the Canadian navy as a reserve when I was younger. I was going to apply to be a cook, because I like cooking, have industrial cafeteria experience and because the cook is the medic on reserve ships. Everybody wants to get in as a medic, so very few do, so this was my clever work around. Rumour has it that the WWII navy was a lot of prairie boys, since they didn't want to march, they joined the navy. 

one of our largest Naval Stations is still in the middle of Saskatchewan. As far from the actual wet as you can get in Canada. 

• Like 6