Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Given that Edison invented the phonograph in 1877, I’m surprised it took that long.  According to a historical synopsis from the Library of Congress, reproduction of music was listed as a possible application in the initial patent paperwork. (I used to be a tour guide at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan, where Edison’s Menlo Park Laboratory complex is currently located, afte rhaving been moved there in the 1920s by Henry Ford.  Talking about the phonograph was part of the basic spiel for the lab building.)

It's possible that there may have been older ones that there are no records of/didn't survive, so this is the one they can point to and say "we don't have proof of any older"

• Like 8

I went outside this morning around 7 am & it was perfect outside, temps were like lower 70s. My daughter wanted me to spray Plasti-dip over her WiP cosplay stuff. I couldn't believe how nice is was out there. So as I let her stuff dry, I decided to spray some basecoats on some model parts as well. Temps stayed nice, thou you could feel they were climbing. I'm all done outside & most of the parts are off the sprues. Good thing, just checked my phone & it's currently 91 degrees & climbing. It suppose to get around 108 or so today. It 'cools' off tomorrow with a high of 107. The heatwave that baked the NW is moving inward now. 

I dozed off in my computer chair this morning when I got home from work (my feline friend was back. I was right, it's a grey tabi with a white underside. He laid in the dirt as I went inside). So now I think I'm gonna go upstairs, crank on the AC & take a nap. Thou I hear a rare sound this time of day, the postman's vehicle!!!!

(I have a Tamiya spray can supposedly delivering today). I may wait & spray what I want to spray first.......

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, haldir said:

The heatwave that baked the NW is moving inward now. 

Hoping you can stay cool, I about melted in the 108* stuff yesterday. That was with AC too. It has dropped into the 80's now and should stay that way the rest of the week. I for one am very okay with that now.

• Like 10

hello all......

I stayed up late last night playing Xbox, specifically Fallout New Vegas. I did play some Watch Dogs 2 yesterday and then had to go to Walmart for a few things. I had some fun.  SO I woke up late this morning and the wife had made coffee. She hates making coffee.... it is a bit on the stout side to say the least, but it is coffee. I had intended to work on my PbP, but we had to do some house work. Now that we are done I intend to stay sit down and do some work on My Traveller game and do some work on my next Fantasy game..... even though Post Apocalyptic is for some reason pulling at me.... I wonder why... could it be a sign that the POST APOCALYPTIC WORLD IS COMING FOR US??????? No must just be gas or something. ..... 

• Like 11

Pro tip; before starting work on your car, remember to stock the essentials...   

I was trying to fix an oil leak, and traced it to where on older editions of the engine there used to be a distributor, but now is just an aluminium lump. 

Popped it off(5 screws and a bit of force) and cleaned the edges...   

Now to put it back together, let's make a proper gasket instead of that instant stuff that had failed...  

now, where did I put my stash of gasket material... 

What would have been a 1hour roundtrip with the car ended up as a 3hour with the bus. 

Most of it spent wasting money at different stores. 

• Sad 11

The receptionist at work is on holiday, and one of the service guys is out sick, so the other two guys can't always answer the phone. I'm monitoring the voice mails to handle what I can, since I can't answering incoming calls.  The photo below is indicative of what I'm seeing today:
image.thumb.png.0a1139c5e22b3acb9b3664b287a5fb77.png

Six calls in a row, not once did they leave a voice mail.  Haven't tried emailing, either. 

Worse, I know that as soon as this person gets to talk to someone, at least five minutes of the conversation will be complaining that no one ever answers the phone and it's probable that their issue would have been best solved via email anyway. 

EDIT: And in the time it took me to write this post, they called three more times. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Sad 14

Been a while since I posted here. Huh.

I got to see Neil Diamond's nephew last weekend. That was neat.

Y'know the weird garbage (well, it is in my opinion) they do between innings at baseball games?

Yeah. He lead us in singing "Sweet Caroline" because.... We can?

Frankly, I have more fun watching the team warm up. It's like watching a pro-level game of catch.

And now, back to your scheduled programming...

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Six calls in a row, not once did they leave a voice mail.  Haven't tried emailing, either. 

And even worse is the fact they're doing it back to back.  Look, you got voicemail the first time, you called a second time and got voicemail again, just leave a message...  At least that's what I was taught.  If it's urgent, try once, then call back a second time - this is a semi-okay way to let road staff know that hey, it's possibly urgent (I had to teach this to a few of my bosses, who'd text us then ask two hours later why an urgent text hadn't been replied to.  Never use text for urgent things, they're easily missed!)  but yeah, if they don't answer that sdcond time, leave a voicemail.

If it's really urgent, typically you've been provided alternate means of contact. 

• Like 9

Toasty out there today. When the weather gets hot like this I normally wake up super early (or super late depending on your perspective) and get out to whatever site I'm checking out as early as possible to avoid the heat of the day. Showed up at a landfill at 7 AM this morning to do just that and the guy that was supposed to show me around didn't show up until 9 AM. So instead of walking around in cool (again, that depends on your perspective, anything below 85 F in Ohio in summer is considered cool to me) morning air before the adjacent landfill started kicking up dust, we ended up spending 4 hours walking the site in the heat of the day. No shade, no breeze, 6 miles of hiking over bare ground with giant rills and gullies, choking dust clouds coming off of the landfill at random intervals and we were all wearing plenty of extra PPE since we were technically on a working site. By the time we finished up the heat index had reached 102 F (around 39 C). While that's not the "melt your face off" levels of heat some places around the country are currently experiencing, it's enough to make for an unpleasant day. There wasn't even any good nature to look at today. At one point the consultant who showed up late fell into a deep gully and couldn't get out without help, I'd be lying if I said that leaving him there didn't at least cross my mind. Oh well, that's what they pay me for. 

Stay safe out there if you're in the heat. Hydrate and USE SUNSCREEN! Seriously though, be safe. Especially you folks in Western Canada and the PNW right now. 

• Like 13

Yeah, this heat wave can get lost anytime now.  35C with a humidex of 38C.

Was halfway to picking up a package today and got a random call from Intel om, who had one of my Amazon packages.  Doubt I'll be ordering much off of the US Amazon, since apparently it doesn't get tracked in Canada! ... So yeah, came back to meet up with driver, and at that point was a biiiiig nope! To going back out again, because it was already way too hot. 

...Which sucks, because I don't like leaving packages at the post office.  Such wouldn't be a problem if CanadaPost actually delivered our packages to our building (it's been an ongoing problem for over two years now) 

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

34 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

And even worse is the fact they're doing it back to back.  Look, you got voicemail the first time, you called a second time and got voicemail again, just leave a message...  At least that's what I was taught.  If it's urgent, try once, then call back a second time - this is a semi-okay way to let road staff know that hey, it's possibly urgent (I had to teach this to a few of my bosses, who'd text us then ask two hours later why an urgent text hadn't been replied to.  Never use text for urgent things, they're easily missed!)  but yeah, if they don't answer that sdcond time, leave a voicemail.

If it's really urgent, typically you've been provided alternate means of contact. 

Exactly. 

Same guy has called another half dozen times.  The phone number isn't even from a car wash - it's from some pet store.   Probably someone who owns multiple businesses, but since we can't easily identify them as one of our customers, they keep getting bumped down the call back priority list until they leave a VM, or contact us in another way. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

Out walking with the kiddo, and we were passed by Colonel Sanders on a Harley. :wacko: Not sure I want to know.

For Prime Day Grump got me a Kindle Fire 10 as a He Loves Me present.

A great BIG tablet for my eensy weensy hands.  His heart was in the right place, but I am going to need a kid case for it before I will feel comfortable.

It's BIG. My hands are SMALL. Dropping it would be WAY too easy.

But the  Pathfinder books look great on it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1