Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

CD102DEE-4799-49E7-A0BE-4526629AD486.thumb.jpeg.26f46043131596bef4cf98a58ccfefe5.jpeg

Another Sunny view from the porch. This one is for @Kuroneko who sees less Sun than this. 

There should be 2-3 squirrels scurrying around in this view. But I see none. And there is no sign of ‘em. I live in squirrel heaven—trees everywhere ya look.

I think the drought mighta killed off the poor little beggars. 

• Like 10

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, TGP said:

Another Sunny view from the porch. This one is for @Kuroneko who sees less Sun than this. 

I was told this morning that the Dallas area is suffering some flooding from recent rains..... as our man on the ground can you confirm this? 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I've got a name for the ship, PHANTOM, inspired by that classic truck driving song "Phantom 309".

And there's another little tidbit to work into a story line.

Here's the true story the song is based on, spoilered because it's part of the Iowa 80 Truckstop website:

And here's the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCeVP9WuA6I

GEM

I'm leaving it up to the players to name the ship. 

The hull number is just a joke that the high school students I'm running this for probably won't get.   Say A67-5309 out loud. 

But I am familiar with that song, and coincidently enough, 3 workers did die during the construction of the vessel in "accidents." They were actually killed by members of the organized crime group the Eclipse Syndicate, who paid them to install secret equipment/compartments on the ship in anticipation of it being delivered to one of their front companies.  The acquisition of the ship by the players via salvage title is not going to make the Eclipse Syndicate very happy. 

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

There was your mistake, you've only encouraged him to be the last person to run even one of them.

I cannot dispute this - but...

38 minutes ago, TGP said:

Get him to buy out the other four, and those guys can use the proceeds of selling their old obsolete models to upgrade to newer machines. 

...this is what I've been doing.   I've known for years my problem child was least likely to do any upgrades, and so I've "helped" him by encouraging other site owners to upgrade and sell their used equipment to him while their equipment still works. Overall, it's been beneficial in getting more obsolete equipment out of service than just pestering my problem child - those other guys were a lot more willing to upgrade when they had a buyer for their equipment. 

However, I've only been doing this with customers who owned single tellers, or were only pulling out one at a time.   The tellers that belonged to the sites that pulled out multiple tellers at once - those boards either ended up in our service stock (for a few years) or got tossed (the last couple of years).  I've been trying to show my problem child that parts availability is getting slim pickings.  I have had a couple of sites who didn't heed my advice to upgrade while their equipment was working who wound up having to replace it when it failed (1 lightning strike, 1 truck backing up) - when those events happened, I gave them my problem child's contact info, but he refused to sell any of his parts to them. 

I do know of a distributor in one area who doesn't sell our equipment that apparently has a storage locker of our old tellers that he's pulled out of sites in his area and replaced with competitor equipment. He's kind of a broccoli head, so I have never, ever sent any business his way, even though he's asked me repeatedly to do so.  Three of the four remaining sites are in that guys area, so I'm sure they know about him, and may be able to hold on for a bit longer.   

Just found out today that one of those sites is up for sale, and the owner has been forthcoming that the equipment is obsolete (not just the teller, but the entire wash). Chances are that one will end up being sold and razed. 

Also just found out that I miscounted the sites remaining.  Other tech and I went through the list, and we're at an even dozen left in the US and Canada after problem child shuts down his sites, so we're currently sitting at 16.   Perhaps I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel with regards to these things?  

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Inarah said:
5 hours ago, TGP said:

I was told this morning that the Dallas area is suffering some flooding from recent rains..... as our man on the ground can you confirm this?

Moral to the story:

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube, or the weather channel, or what somebody heard from some such sources.

The street in front of my house is Bone Dry. It is about 89°F. The shoes SKIES are blue. There are happy little puffy white clouds everywhere ya look. The happy little trees are uselessly batting at the clouds with their limbs, but they are outta reach. The only way you can tell Bob Ross did not paint it is the lack of a mountain. I can hear traffic zooming past on the Interstate from my porch. 

Life roars on

There are structures and houses down near the river, that never should have been built at all, that flooded. This sort of thing happens every time it rains a bunch. 

The River (for those that don’t know any detailed geography of Texas) is called  The Trinity. This is because 1) it splits into three major forks near Dallas and 2) it was named by Spanish Explorers who were just that Catholic and inclined to name everything they mapped as religiously as possible. The Trinity dumps out into the Gulf of Mexico near Houston. All the water that was dumped on us is probably halfway to Houston by now. 

More geography. The DFW Metromess is a triangle. A near equilateral triangle, pointed up (North). Denton is the top (North) corner. Dallas is the bottom right (East) corner. Fort Worth is the bottom left (West) corner. The West Fork of the Trinity River runs East-West connecting Dallas and Fort Worth. 

When it rains all the water ends up in the river. There was water backing up out of the River and I bet there is new construction in places where they didn't have the drainage well-sorted that temporarily flooded. 

This is the second time I have answered a question like this. My own brother! who used to live “round-these-here-parts” called and asked if I had any flood damage. And he knows how far above sea-level I am! Or he should remember. But he got sucked in by YouTube. 

The  truth on the ground is most roads are open; traffic is buzzing; for every house that flooded 2000 or so did not.

The Embassy Suites in Denton is high and dry. 

Edited by TGP
WAS without reading glasses, out on porch when I typed this, silly autocorrupt
  • Like 9

Check out this Bob Ross cloud taunting the tree:

158EE6C7-8AD9-41F4-9603-023807222B38.thumb.jpeg.8e51e1910a7a23b4b7af343bffef4a6d.jpeg

Tree got rained on. Tree is happy. It is not a Happy Little tree. It is a good twelve feet taller than the house and its trunk is thicker than I am. 

If it was a Treant it would be 14hd or so. No Fanghorn, but by no means little. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Moral to the story:

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube, or the weather channel, or what somebody heard from some such sources.

I learned that during the Loma Prieta quake in 89, as I lived nearby at the time.  The damages in the SF Bay Area were pretty devastating, but dang, the images on the news made it seem like dozens of miles wide swaths of SF and Oakland were gone.  Driving through the areas afterwards I was seeing that a lot of the damage was buildings on the same few blocks, scattered across the city. 

Ever since then, I've taken disaster photos/stories on the news with a grain of salt and assume most is localized, unless they're high altitude/wide angle aerial photos of widespread damage, such as we saw after Katrina hit New Orleans. 

• Like 9

My tasks at work have been fleeting today. Get a task, find it takes me about ten minutes to complete, then I return to my self-generated make-work task which is unfulfilling to my engineering core (completing checklists that have been ignored for two years by the program).

Thus, I am frustrated and have had zero ability to concentrate on any one task today. My little cubicle is a painful cage today.

• Like 5
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Moral to the story:

Reason why I checked with you. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Thus, I am frustrated and have had zero ability to concentrate on any one task today. My little cubicle is a painful cage today.

Only 5 days left.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Only 5 days left.

True, but I did complain about that yesterday so didn’t want to complain again.

Painting the base tonight and then applying the alien vegetation. Then have to figure out safe transportation to the con.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Froggy the Great said:

I've broken out the 6mm granny-grating Lord of the Rings armies again and I'm building out the Dwarves and Rohirrim.

The Beacons are Lit !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

My tasks at work have been fleeting today. Get a task, find it takes me about ten minutes to complete, then I return to my self-generated make-work task which is unfulfilling to my engineering core (completing checklists that have been ignored for two years by the program).

Maybe not geographically, but spiritually, I'm right there with you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1