Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

On 9/4/2022 at 6:11 AM, Kangaroorex said:
On 8/29/2022 at 1:28 PM, Pegazus said:

Hey @Kangaroorex, figured you would get a chuckle out of this the most. But others are welcome to boggle at the bizarre world of engineering.

I am sitting down now to write out detailed engineering instructions on how to properly calibrate a technician’s fingernail to measure the depth of a scratch.

Talk about high tech!

Expand  

I think the penultimate procedure I had to write was either changing an incandescent light bulb or how to use a urinal.  Both wound up being 6 and 10 pages respectively 

I gotta admit, how to calibrate a fingernail is spectacular! !   Thanks for sharing that.  Bureaucracy is still alive and well I see!

One time I was trying to create an exploded parts drawing. I had everything nailed down except one item.  I only had the part number, but no 3D model, no visual, no plan view. It was something like:

LZ-1309-2-34/A

Just a number but no idea what it looked like. 

But we had this database where you could search for obscure specification drawings it only wanted the base part number. (1309)

Did ya know the Taiwanese Military has a specification for… “Canned Fungus”? A published mil-spec for…

No lie: Canned Fungus

That database search will bring up everything it has with a base number string of 1309, or whatever you put in. Dozens of drawings perhaps, from all kinds of sources. 

It took me several beats to figure out that it was 1) food 2) a wacky translation 3) actually a can of mushrooms. 

Apparently, certain kinds of ‘Shrooms are rather important in Taiwanese cuisine. 

• Like 6

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TGP said:

One time I was trying to create an exploded parts drawing. I had everything nailed down except one item.  I only had the part number, but no 3D model, no visual, no plan view. It was something like:

LZ-1309-2-34/A

Just a number but no idea what it looked like. 

But we had this database where you could search for obscure specification drawings it only wanted the base part number. (1309)

Did ya know the Taiwanese Military has a specification for… “Canned Fungus”? A published mil-spec for…

No lie: Canned Fungus

Was it some kind of mushroom?

GEM

Never mind.

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 3

I haven’t been around much this past month or so.  I did finally get my Gen Con AAR written up for my blog, and some games have been played, so it hasn’t been all bad.  However, I have definitely been having motivation issues.  I’m currently starting a cull of my projects, to try to get back down to a level I might actually be able to finish after retirement.  That’s not depressing me, since I am buoyed up by the hope that someone else will enjoy having the stuff for their projects, but it is an overwhelming amount of work…

I am therefore looking through rules; if I play something, my energy level usually increases.

• Like 7

I did not escape getting Covid!  I had a fever, headache and runny nose yesterday, so I tested myself with a home kit, and it showed positive.  My body is being very considerate of work, since I worked Friday, and I will probably feel good enough to work Tuesday after the Labor day holiday Monday...  Just my luck, get sick during a 3 day weekend. 

• Sad 15

I've recently made the switch to using toilet paper made from bamboo instead of trees. Curiosity got the better of me, but I've got to say I'm pleased with the change. And so are the trees.

*For anyone with confused faces, bamboo is actually a grass, not a tree, and grows much faster (some species of bamboo can grow 3 ft in a day). And no pandas were deprived of food or habitat in the making, it is sourced from panda-free forests.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

I've recently made the switch to using toilet paper made from bamboo instead of trees. Curiosity got the better of me, but I've got to say I'm pleased with the change. And so are the trees.

*For anyone with confused faces, bamboo is actually a grass, not a tree, and grows much faster (some species of bamboo can grow 3 ft in a day). And no pandas were deprived of food or habitat in the making, it is sourced from panda-free forests.

Plant fiber is plant fiber and if you can process it to where it will do the job using a feedstock that is cheaper, grows faster, and is easy to replenish, so much the better.

GEM

Now I have an earworm repeating "Bamboo Butt".

Addendum: I wonder how good Bamboo is for carbon sequestration?

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

*For anyone with confused faces,

I originally read this as "confused feces", which I suppose also works in that sentence, lol... ::D:

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I can't remember where I heard it, but I seem to recall that at least one major city somewhere was looking into a program to get people to grow bamboo in their rooftop gardens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Plant fiber is plant fiber and if you can process it to where it will do the job using a feedstock that is cheaper, grows faster, and is easy to replenish, so much the better.

The entire point of using bamboo. No deforestation of trees that take decades to grow and replenish. Probably not cheaper to make currently as the market/awareness/people's hesitancy are issues, but maybe one day. Takes less to get the job done as it's strong and soft, I put a roll in each bathroom and have only had to change one roll in 3 weeks (3 people in the house).

20 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

get people to grow bamboo in their rooftop gardens.

From my own reading, it does take a few years to get it to really take root, but once it does it takes less maintenance and less water to grow (apart from having to cut it down if it is one of the faster growing species).

Haven't had the chance to read any peer-reviewed scholarly papers, so what I find on the web is always taken with a grain of salt, but it seems the faster it grows the more cycles of photosynthesis occur, which would absorb carbon dioxide. And there is always conflicting sources. I'm going to look for more reading. It probably depends on which species of bamboo (over 1400!) is grown.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Currently 10 dead and 15 injured, that's all I can probably say here right now.

And they're on the move too.  Emergency alerts have gone out for Alberta as well as Manitoba. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6