Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basing my RCon swag and pondering which ones need converting into SciFi.  I have both a Five Leagues from the Borderlands campaign going and a new Five Parsecs From Home campaign planned for the winter, so "all of them" is not the best answer in this particular specialized case.

• Like 9

Hope everyone is having a good week. 

So the junior service tech at work turned in his notice a couple weeks ago that his last day is this Friday, then called in sick yesterday and today, so it looks like he's skipping out on this last week. They had already hired a guy as an additional tech, he started yesterday, and is getting thrown into the fire.  Going to be even worse next week - I'm on site in Rapid City all next week doing an installation. 

I half expect that by the time I get back, the new guy will have quit as well. 

Ran into an embarrassing situation this morning that still has me fuming. Had a training appointment set up with a new customer that had difficulties getting their system up and running (I've previously mentioned them as one that was being installed by a plumber with no car wash knowledge).   The site doesn't have any remote access, so the first time I was able to log into the customer's system was via TeamViewer and their PC for the training this morning.  That part went smooth, but when I had her run the first report, we saw that it was configured for a site with automatic washes, not self serve washes like their site has. Completely embarrassing and unacceptable - it tells me the staging person not only didn't do all the required setup, they never even tested half the functions - which became even more obvious when the system locked up on a couple of different screens.   Fortunately I was able to fix & test everything remotely, but it's pretty embarrassing when you have to pause the training to fix things that should have been at least close to right. 

• Sad 10

Woo hoo!   Got an email from my son just now.  He's been underway on temporary duty on another sub for weeks now, and this is the first we've heard from him since he left. 

Wish the sub had bandwidth enough to send him pictures and links, but alas, it does not.  At least we can exchange short text emails these days - don't think that was an option  for boats underway when I served. 

• Like 14

I am a walking ESD hazard. Electrostatic Discharge. I am extremely careful around our electrical test equipment and they practically have to drag me into the lab grounded to the hilt when there are any pyrotechnics involved. But in my cube, it’s simply stand up, shock myself withs quick slap to the wall, take the chibi lightening’s bite, and carry on. 

Somewhere around here is a plastic ruler that I sometimes grab and slide towards the grounding plane until the spark appears. Get the humidity reading and how far away my finger was measured by the ruler, and a quick lookup tells me how many volts I am emitting today. 

Forgot that this afternoon. Stood up, went to grab the empty soda can to recycle it, and Mr Static Shock manifested itself up under a fingernail. Been ten minutes and I can still feel it. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

I am a walking ESD hazard. Electrostatic Discharge. I am extremely careful around our electrical test equipment and they practically have to drag me into the lab grounded to the hilt when there are any pyrotechnics involved. But in my cube, it’s simply stand up, shock myself withs quick slap to the wall, take the chibi lightening’s bite, and carry on. 

Somewhere around here is a plastic ruler that I sometimes grab and slide towards the grounding plane until the spark appears. Get the humidity reading and how far away my finger was measured by the ruler, and a quick lookup tells me how many volts I am emitting today. 

Forgot that this afternoon. Stood up, went to grab the empty soda can to recycle it, and Mr Static Shock manifested itself up under a fingernail. Been ten minutes and I can still feel it. 

You sound like Harry Dresden!

• Like 5

I've been working on redoing my entire spreadsheet(s) of my minis. My original one has not been updated in quite some time and has many gaps where I have gotten things but do not have entries for. So, currently, working through Bones Classic and that's been a task and a half.

I've also recently taken up paper quilling. It is also A Task. It's fun but it would be easier, I think, if the kit I ordered first had more tools that are, generally, required.

• Like 7

<bangs head against desk>

Well that last service call was harder than it had to be.  Site in Quebec.  We don't have any service techs who speak French any more.  So I was dealing with an owner who speaks mostly French, remotely connected into his PC which was set to French, while his English speaking sister in law was interpreting.  Neither of them knew anything about networks or networking, so I'm trying to tell them what to look for, and she's trying to interpret that to French.   Finally figured out their router could easily toggle between French and English (thank you Bell Networks!), which allowed me to finally find and configured the devices I needed to. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4