Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Some trivia for your Friday on July 2nd:

• 1900 – The first Zeppelin flight took place on Lake Constance near Friedrichshafen, Germany.

• 1937 – Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan were last heard from over the Pacific Ocean while attempting to make the first equatorial round-the-world flight.

• 2001 – The AbioCor self-contained artificial heart was first implanted; only 15 total patients would receive one before further development was abandoned.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to celebrate that number 2 with you. :winkthumbs:

In other news,

Weather in North Texas continues to be... odd.  high today of only 91, with good chance of storms.  Kind of frustrating because the rain is going to interfere with the Sectionals baseball tournament, we only have yesterday, today, saturday, and monday to play. (only 4 teams at each age level so that should be enough if we don't have to keep fighting the rain)
I was umpiring a GREAT game last night until the rain suspended it in the 5th....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Corsair said:

dilemma.jpg

Nah, Redshirt dies.  
remember, "... and these blast points, too accurate for sand people. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."  
The only reason they keep missing the heroes are a combination of "let them escape because we put a tracker on their ship/he's not use to me dead" and a little bit of plot armor.  Nameless rebel troopers died in droves to the stormtroopers....

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

This is why they should all switch to machines only accepting cards. No money inside. 

I can't remember the last time I saw a car wash that accepted coins.  

There are some areas of the US where cash is still king. 

But a large part of it is most car wash owners here want to take any and every form of payment possible. I've got owners who would be asking us to take boogers as payment if they thought they could profit from it. 

2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Glad to celebrate that number 2 with you. :winkthumbs:

I can't say that I ever thought I would be joyful that someone's dog taking a crap....but I am. ::):

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I have a four day weekend! and it’s NOT because I’m sick!

I have so many things to do 😬

Me, too.  Mon is our last day with our son before he heads to boot camp.  Tuesday we're camping out at the airport to see him one last time before he flies out. 

Today's calls so far have been:

20% Canadians who decided to change something at their site yesterday, and broke something. 
20% Canadians who noticed yesterday that something at their site hasn't been working for who knows how long. 
20% People who decided today was a good day to make price changes, but didn't do any preparation for it. 

30% Americans who "need" something fixed before the Independence day weekend, but that has been broken for at least a week and they're only calling today. 
10% a guy who's site legit suffered a catastrophic failure overnight, and needs help. 

• Like 11

Tomorrow, I'm going to see my mom for the first time since Christmas 2019.

At the start of last year, my work schedule changed and I was just getting used to it when The Plague hit and we entered lockdown. Since we're both vaccinated and immunized, we're going to get together. I honestly didn't know if I was ever going to see her again. I'm in one of those fields that lost a lot of people due to The Plague. Not as bad as cooks, in terms of death, but we're not that far down on the list. Plus, she was high risk. Thankfully, she's retired and was able to just batten down the hatches and ride it out.

My dad, who is even higher risk, isn't vaccinated yet. I just spoke with him. I don't know why he hasn't gotten it yet. It's not because of the reasons that may come to mind. I just... I don't know. Sounds like he's forgetting.

I don't know. I think I'm going to hit up a bar or something this weekend.

• Like 13

I'm rebuilding my electric bicycle... 

(bought a hideous offroader, and are ripping parts off and installing bits from the old bike)

Of course, since the new one has disc brakes(mechanical, one-sided, but still... they're better than rim brakes), I wanted to reuse those.

But the motorized hub is slightly wider than the hub that came with the bike, and it's not possible to adjust the rear brake that far out. 

I ended up getting one of those 'finger' type belt sanders and grinding down the area where the brake disc is fitted on the hub. Messy. 

Bolted the disc on, slotted the wheel into the frame, and after 'adjusting' a bracket so that it was 1mm thinner(clamped it in my Sherline mill and went to town with it) I managed to get the brakes on without binding. 

But the wheel didn't spin freely...  

I pulled the brakes off entirely. No good... 

Took the wheel off and clamped the axle in the vise. Didn't spin freely. 

It was the 6 screws holding the brake disk that was binding on something inside the hub.  

Added a washer to every screw. Problem solved.

Now I just have to re-fit the wheel, readjust the rear brake, fit the pedal sensor, the right pedal arm and pedal, the luggage rack, the electronics, fix the broken connector on the cabling going to the rear wheel...   

(I have already made adapters so that it's possible to fit the luggage rack. The electronics and the battery is housed in the rack ) 

I tossed the little 'ping' type bell. I need something that can be heard and noticed, so I've got one from Reich(german company) that makes a proper 'Drrring' sound. 

• Like 10

Man, today has been a weird day for calls. In addition to the standard holiday BS, I have had:

- office person who works for distributor call me instead of one of her own service techs and claim that we had an appointment for remote service when we didn't, for something that would take her service tech less than 5 minutes to do vs 30-60 minutes for me to do remotely.  

- another distributor trying to do a site start up today. 

- yet another distributor tech trying to figure out exactly what the problem a non-english speaking sister of a customer of his is having while she watches the wash for her brother. 

• Sad 8