Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

Found an interesting article on the relationship between the brain and emotions and thought others would benefit from reading it.  It's  a bit long but not overly technical.  It addresses some issues that many of us have had over the past 18 months, spending so much time in front of a computer.   https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/06/29/1010319240/stuck-in-a-rut-sometimes-joy-takes-a-little-practice  

Hope everyone is having a happy and safe weekend. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline trivia for Saturday, July 3rd:

• 1886 – Karl Benz officially unveiled the Benz Patent-Motorwagen, the first purpose-built automobile.

• 1886 – The New-York Tribune became the first newspaper to use a linotype machine, eliminating typesetting by hand.

• 1938 – World speed record for a steam locomotive was set in England, by the Mallard, which reached a speed of 125.88 miles per hour (202.58 km/h).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Sephy and I have completed our first full night sleeping in her room (she in her little bed, me on an air mattress). She only crawled into my bed a couple times and it was easy enough to get her back to sleep in her own.

Making progress towards independence here!

• Like 17

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

• 1938 – World speed record for a steam locomotive was set in England, by the Mallard, which reached a speed of 125.88 miles per hour (202.58 km/h).

The Mallard is ordinarily at the British national railway museum in York, where I’ve seen it a couple of times.  My kids had a Brio version growing up.  Technically have, I guess…the Brio box is currently stowed somewhere in my basement. ::D:

• Like 8

sigh... I had a long post and had to stop before I posted, because the wife just needed the drill. Had to find where it got moved to. ........ come back and post is gone....

I have painted myself in a corner and could use some friendly advice.  My last post I may have mentioned that I just bought the Dragon Heist for 5e, because well I love Waterdeep and Undermountain both. As a younger person I had most everything I could find on Waterdeep and Undermountain.  I have always wanted to run an adventure in that city and it's mega-dudgeon below it's streets. My issue is well. I have only played one game of 5e. Not a bad system, but I have falling in love with GURPS. and while 'converting' it over to GURPS would not be a huge deal, but I still want to run my fantasy world campaign as well. and three games would take more time and energy that I have.  I have my GURPS Traveller game, My kids fantasy has fallen to the wayside, I still want to run a fantasy campaign set in my world and while yes, I could drop Waterdeep and the surrounding area into my world, it would still be three games. Then add in the fact that I would still like to run a Post Apocalyptic game... I also have to factor in the fact that, While I love GURPS, only a couple of people seem to want to play and I am not just talking here, so there is a part of me that says just do the Waterdeep in 5E.......  however, I have little XP with 5e.. yes I come from the older line.. I still have a retro clone that I love.. anyways I see that I have written a paragraph again.. 

• Like 8

@Colonel Kane You could check with your current players and see if any of them are interested in your Dragon Heist campaign.  Then see if they're okay with using GURPS or if they'd rather use a different system.  If they're cool with it, you can then try opening up to new players as well.

Also, it is not unheard of to take a break from running one game to focus on another.  Just choose a convenient stopping point before you make the switch.  Better to take a break than to overload yourself with too many games.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

IMG_20210703_174239_607~2.jpg

we need this for @Hollymonster!

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

• 1886 – Karl Benz officially unveiled the Benz Patent-Motorwagen, the first purpose-built automobile.

• 1886 – The New-York Tribune became the first newspaper to use a linotype machine, eliminating typesetting by hand.

Dedicated to Mr Benz:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOMcAlO7rQ

• Like 5

Amazon delivery person is going to hate me today. Bought a bunch of shirts and a couple other small things the other day and they've broken it all up into like...7? packages. That's not even everything I ordered. Only hobby thing acquired is some printable stabilizer for my embroidery.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

@Colonel Kane You could check with your current players and see if any of them are interested in your Dragon Heist campaign.  Then see if they're okay with using GURPS or if they'd rather use a different system.  If they're cool with it, you can then try opening up to new players as well.

Also, it is not unheard of to take a break from running one game to focus on another.  Just choose a convenient stopping point before you make the switch.  Better to take a break than to overload yourself with too many games.

My kids game has fallen to the wayside so I only have the one game going, which I just started on May 1st. It is going well I think, but I only have two players, so I do not want to shut that game down.  Thank you for the advice. 

• Like 8