Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TIL that in the 1890 landmark ruling U.S. Bureau of Geographic Names vs. English Grammar, iconic Pikes Peak lost its apostrophe. The blanket judgement also eliminated the English genetive form from almost all other U.S. landmarks.

Unsurprisingly, Martha's Vineyard was affluent enough to afford lawyers of such skill and stature they managed to fight the blanket ruling and win arguably the single most old money privileged landmark name in the U.S. an exemption.

Okay, that's probably not precisely how it went down, but it is a bit of a questionable look viewed through a 2022 lens, innit?

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 7

Has anyone got this email?

Important Information Regarding Your Google Account

It's from Google ( <payments-noreply @ google.com> (no spaces between the @ of course) & the first paragraph is:

"You're receiving this email because we haven't been able to verify some of the info on your Google account. Until we can verify it, you won't be able to transact with any products you may be using (e.g. Play, Google Ads, AdSense, Workspace, Google Cloud, etc.) with this account."

Now I do have things associated with Google Play, but I know these days phishing & other ID stealing schemes can look like the real thing. I'm just trying to verify that it's the real thing.

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

I have a little mini 2lb pork but in the half sized crock pot for dinner tonight.  My house smells quite nice.

I did the same thing yesterday (Sunday)!

I changed my usual cooking method and decided to go with the LOW heat setting, a thick spice rub of most spices I had around (salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, clover, crushed cayenne pepper; turmeric; etc.), and with a bottom layer of sliced onions, I added far less water than usual.

The results were worth the wait. The meat was crazy tender, moist, and extremely flavorful with the stewed onions.

Leaving more time for the tough collagen to turn to soft gelatin (~180F) was worth the wait. I could probably carve it with a spoon.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, haldir said:

It's from Google ( <payments-noreply @ google.com> (no spaces between the @ of course) & the first paragraph is:

"You're receiving this email because we haven't been able to verify some of the info on your Google account. Until we can verify it, you won't be able to transact with any products you may be using (e.g. Play, Google Ads, AdSense, Workspace, Google Cloud, etc.) with this account."

Now I do have things associated with Google Play, but I know these days phishing & other ID stealing schemes can look like the real thing. I'm just trying to verify that it's the real thing.

Thanks for any help.

Best patent situations like this is to navigate to your account without using the links in the email, you should bookmarks or type out the address you know it to be, once you're logged into your account there should be a place for you to interact with whatever generated the notification. The big key here is never use the link that's in the email

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

A good day to see those awesome new GW 40K horsemen. You should buy them and send them to me to paint for you. 😁 I actually really like painting horses. I could care less for the real thing, since most horses are nasty things that should be in cans bound for France. (I had so many bad horses growing up, and when a horse bites your bum, you become kind of biased.) But I love painting cavalry. I wish Reaper had more horses. They are way more a wargames thing than an RPG, so I get why there are only a handful. 

It very much pleaseth me that Attilan Rough Riders have come back, always loved them in the lore.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, haldir said:

Thanks for any help.

Is this correct English?

Never had such a mail, never click on anything in such a mail.

just log into your account like you normally would and see if actions are needed there.

• Like 6

Surfed on to YT for some entertainment, and found a couple  new videos by Jimmy(Jimmy's World, mostly aviation related. Fun guy. ). 

He and a buddy had done a 'mercy flight' down to Florida, buying up crated drinking water, food, wipes, diapers, anything that the survivors need while trying to sort out the sorry remains down there. 

And some utter Karen had called the FAA on them, claiming that they were taking pay as pilots for these trips..,

(They even paid for the fuel out of heir own pocket instead of touching donations for it ). 

Well.....

Friday is supposedly the Karens bithday, and he plans to celebrate it properly....  

By sending 20 planes loaded with as much goods as they can carry down to Florida.

(These are single and twin-engine private planes, so it's not like they can compete with a Herc or something.)

He even has a signup form for pilots wanting to participate. 

Got to admire such dedication.

Link to donate is in the video comments on his channel

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Surfed on to YT for some entertainment, and found a couple  new videos by Jimmy(Jimmy's World, mostly aviation related. Fun guy. ). 

He and a buddy had done a 'mercy flight' down to Florida, buying up crated drinking water, food, wipes, diapers, anything that the survivors need while trying to sort out the sorry remains down there. 

And some utter Karen had called the FAA on them, claiming that they were taking pay as pilots for these trips..,

(They even paid for the fuel out of heir own pocket instead of touching donations for it ). 

Well.....

Friday is supposedly the Karens bithday, and he plans to celebrate it properly....  

By sending 20 planes loaded with as much goods as they can carry down to Florida.

(These are single and twin-engine private planes, so it's not like they can compete with a Herc or something.)

He even has a signup form for pilots wanting to participate. 

Got to admire such dedication.

Link to donate is in the video comments on his channel

I'll never understand why people seem to think "oh, I don't like what they're doing, I'll call the FAA and put a tip/complaint in to stop it!" is a good idea...  It's a federal offense to put false claims in.  Additionally, the FAA does know how to search Google and YouTube, and they (and other disaster relief organizations) are appreciative of grassroots efforts like that, because private pilots generally can mobilize faster than organizations, and quite often its volunteers like that who are able to help get the initial efforts off the ground and get the ball rolling. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8