Jen Haley -- Info wanted about magazine, book appearances

Wardenstein

Hi all. I'm a relative newbie here, at least as far as posting stuff goes, so I want to show you folks that I'm not wasting your time with my questions. (Hence some of the links and lists, below: to show I've already done "some homework".) I'm hoping to find out more info about what videos, books, magazines Jennifer 'Jen' Haley (also known sometimes as "Paintrix") may have appeared in. It does not even have to be about gaming miniatures (although that's obviously my main focus, for these forums) so if she has 2D art in some publication, let me know!

Of course, if there is already some message thread where this stuff was discussed, then please point me towards that thread ... and thanks!

For what it is worth: I'm asking because I'm more or less a book-a-holic, who loves taking time for "deliberate study, reflection, and practice". I'm (slowly) getting back into learning more about painting things: it's something I never quite made enough time for, in my past. Thus far, from what I've seen of Jen's work, she's quite good at teaching "mostly left-brained" students like me. To me, her teaching methods are very "high signal to noise"; plus seeing it is also inspirational. I say that as a published author, myself: I used to write articles (mostly about building stuff, sometimes from scratch, more than painting it) for "Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller" when they were still actively publishing, a few years ago. I know it's not easy explaining complicated or nuanced things, with words / pictures, without even knowing for sure who your "audience is".

What I already know is "out there," as far as things Jen Haley offers to students of painting fantasy and/or historical miniatures:

I know that she did a set of cool instructional two-disc set of DVDs, for or with "Cool Mini Or Not". I'm aware there is also a different DVD set, that she did with Dark Sword Miniatures: that being a "dual author" or a "combination" DVD set, that also included Anne Foerster. I know that Miniature Mentor has a streaming / download-able instruction video, by Jen, about painting things in monochrome. I already have the CMON two-disc DVD set, and I love the info in it. I plan to pick up the others, as funds allow. (If I was "rich," I'd already have all three of them.)

I know she did an article about painting a 30mm Goblin Ninja figure, in "Modelling Scale Figures" by Osprey Publishing, around 2008. I have a copy of that one. I even made an alphabetized listing of what paint names she used, for future reference, in a "learn to paint kit" sort of way. It's my understanding that her article in that book was the first time that English publishing company had featured a fantasy figure. I've long loved that series of books, so it was a pretty big treat when I first saw, many years ago now, that a fantasy type of figure was in that book.

In addition, I know Jen had a few appearances, of one sort of another, in various magazines. After seeing old postings of hers, here on these forums (which included links to a personal web site that she used to run), I looked up that info on the Wayback Machine (otherwise known as "Internet Archive") and I saw an "about me" listing by her, showing that as of that date (in 2008) she had items appear in the following publications (in one form or some other: I don't know how many photos each might have; how many times per each magazine; or etc.) ...

Fine Scale Modeler
Harbinger
Historical Miniature
No Quarter
Ravage
White Dwarf

Does anyone have issue numbers, and/or page numbers, for any of those magazine appearances?

Or know of any others, not listed here? It would be cool to see more photos of her work, but tutorials / articles would be even better.

If anyone has a researcher's bent, and wants to see where I got that list of publication names from, above, I dug up that "about me" info on this "Wayback Machine" link. (With apologies offered to the mods / admins, if external links like this one are a no-no, around here?)

https://web.archive.org/web/20080727015441/http://www.paintrix-miniatures.com/about.php

I should note that Jennifer Haley is not the only person I'm currently learning stuff from! I'm also signed up on some Patreon pages (Anne Foerster's and Rhonda Bender's; plus the Shiflett Brothers -- two sculptors) and some others. I've always loved to read about figure modeling (going back to at least the 1980s) but I am only now "getting serious" about sculpting / painting. While I'm waiting to find money to afford more DVD sets, I figured I might as well also try to get a better idea of what magazine or book articles might also be "out there".

Thanks for any help you folks can offer me, on this research project!

-- Ward Shrake --

P. S. -- In case anyone here wonders what those articles of mine were like, be advised that (with the publisher's full, written permission) I had scanned in most of the ones I had written for SF&FM, and they're online, for free. Once upon a time, the issues those articles were in, sold for $24 per issue, plus shipping from England (another $8 or so USD, per issue) so just three of those once wiped out a hundred dollar bill! (I say that in case anyone thinks they're brief, or not very in-depth articles: SF&FM loved "in-depth"!) See the "WIP" or "SBS" links, over on my Putty & Paint pages, if that sounds interesting. I "pointed those links" over on each project I posted, on P&P, to go where the scanned-in articles are being stored. (On a Facebook group's "albums" area.) They're arguably more for builders than painters, but some folks here may enjoy them? I'd have to look through the now-decade-old series of articles, to see exactly which ones had "stuff from Reaper" featured in them, but at least a few of them did. I think the "Steampunk Fish Submarine" article had some Reaper figures in it, and probably mentioned Reaper's paints. I know that some of the articles I haven't found a place to store or "host" them, did in fact mention that I used some of Reaper's paints, etc., so the link below, to my Putty & Paint pages where those article links are, is (hopefully) not seen as off-topic for these forums, or this site?

https://www.puttyandpaint.com/Wardenstein

• Like 3

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a follow-up post, to what I just said, above: this time, merely to show the info I already have, about the (very cool!) article that Jen Haley did, in that book by Osprey.

= = = =

Jennifer Haley's article, as seen in Osprey Publishing's book, "Modelling Scale Figures" (edited) by Mark Bannerman.  Consultant editor Robert Oehler.  17 color photos; pages 57 through 60. ISBN # 978 184603 238 7.  Copyright date is listed as being 2008.

Figure:  "30mm Goblin Ninja from the game 'Confrontation,' produced by Rackham."

Primer used:  White - Tamiya Fine Surface Primer - Article states it was airbrushed on, but does not list added process details, like what airbrush type / brand / model was used, or any of that. Just that this brand / type of primer was applied via airbrush.

Paints used:
(Note that specific paint part numbers were not specified, in that article; just brands and names. Listed here, alphabetically.)

Water - No Brand Specified (naturally enough)
No Brand Specified - Pure Black
No Brand Specified - Pure White

RMS - Blushing Rose
RMS - Brown Liner
RMS - Bruise Purple
RMS - Brush-On Sealer
RMS - Chestnut Brown
RMS - Clouded Sea
RMS - Creamy Ivory
RMS - Driftwood Brown
RMS - Fair Skin
RMS - Ghoul Skin
RMS - Khaki Highlight
RMS - Leather White
RMS - Moldy Skin
RMS - Pale Indigo
RMS - Phoenix Red
RMS - Rosy Skin
RMS - Rust Brown
RMS - Seafoam Blue
RMS - Shadowed Stone
RMS - Stained Ivory
RMS - Stone Grey
RMS - Stormy Sea
RMS - Walnut Brown
RMS - Weathered Stone
RMS - Woodstain Brown

Vallejo - Blue Violet
Vallejo - Burnt Umber
Vallejo - German Fieldgrey
Vallejo - Matte Varnish
Vallejo - Sunny Skintone
Vallejo - Violet Red

• Like 2

She did an interview with the digital Figure Painter Magazine issue 15, you should be able to find it online as they put all 51 issues up free to download when the magazine closed (well worth reading the rest as well)

their facebook page still has the dropbox link  https://www.facebook.com/FigurePainterMagazine

• Like 1

She did an interview with the digital Figure Painter Magazine issue 15, you should be able to find it online as they put all 51 issues up free to download when the magazine closed (well worth reading the rest as well)

their facebook page still has the dropbox link  https://www.facebook.com/FigurePainterMagazine

she's also got 3 figures up on Putty and Paint  https://www.puttyandpaint.com/jenhaley

Sadly it seems she wasn't terribly well just prior to covid

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-jen-treat-chronic-pain

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

she's also got 3 figures up on Putty and Paint  https://www.puttyandpaint.com/jenhaley

Sadly it seems she wasn't terribly well just prior to covid

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-jen-treat-chronic-pain

That last part bleeping sucks! I'm deeply sorry to hear that's going on, in her life. (But thanks for sharing the info and that link!) I have had carpal tunnel syndrome for a long time. It was medically confirmed via electronic testing, around a decade ago; but to me it felt "bad enough for surgery" long before then -- so I (think?) I can (at least partially?) appreciate how much it sucks to lose even basic daily functionality, let alone "advanced functionality": especially when it's "in more than one area". But mine's not truly "constant" -- it's more like "getting steadily worse, the more I use my wrists" but it is not quite as bad, if I'm not using them. I can at least do something about the pain, which is "don't do anything involving my wrists" or at least, seriously scaling back on that.  It sucks to have to force myself to "do less, all the time". That's deeply frustrating, if a person wants to do more. But "truly constant, with no really big way to make it better??" ... holy poop, yeah, that would truly suck! I'm sorry she's going through all of that!

Thanks for the other information, as well! I'll check those things out!

EDIT:  Having just looked at that back issue of Figure Painter Magazine, I see that Jen Haley had named another magazine she apparently had at least one "appearance" and/or "article" in. Quoting what she said on page 15 of issue number 15 of FPM:  "When I have time, I contribute hobby articles for Ravage US."

Edited by Wardenstein
  • Like 1

Ravage was a french gaming/boardgame magazine that CMON published/distributed an english language version of (not 100% sure if the editions were identical or whether only some of the content was brought over, and other US articles were substituted)

might be worth trying the CMON forum to see if anybody there can check through back issues for you (or point you to a legal digital archive if one exists) http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/