Rocket 1- World’s Fastest & Most Accurate Resin 3D Printer

JoeGKushner

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rocket1/rocket-1-worlds-fastest-and-most-accurate-dclf-3d-printer?ref=1hhryd

Slow, frustrating processing times seem to be an inherent and unavoidable characteristic of today’s 3D printers. But now, Rocket 1 arrives as the new game-changer. Today, we proudly present the fastest consumer resin 3D printer in the world - Rocket 1, which is able to print at an unprecedented 380mm/h. You don't need to spend hours or days waiting anymore. With Rocket 1 you can have your designs completed within minutes.

I'm not smart enough to understand where they lies between the different types of printers.

• Like 1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please note that they have TWO printers, the 'Rocket 1' and the 'Rocket 1 Pro', and the claims numbers are a mishmash from both. 

And in at least one case(z-axis resolution) the blurb at the top doesn't agree with the fact list further down. 

As for 'most accurate', HAH!    

Please note that they only claim it to be the fastest and most accurate DCLF Resin printer.   

How many other DCLF printers have you seen lately?

In the comments they're a bit cagey with exactly how the projection system works.

They claim to have been in business since 2014, selling products, but their website registration is from June 2020. 

One of their products is a 3L industrial Ultrasonic cleaner, but it has a different brand name on the front...    

The Creator's profile doesn't link to any of their web presence.   

And the only guy listed in the profile is supposedly in San Francisco...   

The rebates they're listing compared to the RRP... And Icthought Sonic overdid it with over a thrird off on a few of the Mini 8K...   

I mean, 300 or more at over 50% off of both models?    

A 1year license of ChituBox Pro is included, too... 

This isn't waving a red flag at a bull... It's smacking him between the eyes with a whole roll of red cloth.     

At best, we're dealing with amateurs, at worst it's an outright scam.    

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

even ignoring the fishiness, a couple of things turning me away are 

Top down printing is nothing new.  It's also never been anywhere close to this cheap before.  The last significant one I can find was the Milkshake3d, who's website is now defunct, but it's KS Early birds were over 3 grand in 2019 money.

No wiper. this is an important component in top down printing most of the time, it ensures a uniform thin layer of resin on top of the print to cure.

They seem to be claiming their new resin formula doesn't need one, they talk about the dead zone preventing curing at the surface, and they talk about a 'filling fluid' that is resin insoluble and causes the resin to float on top is kind of an interesting solution all speaks to a very interesting solution that includes what sounds to be a proprietary resin, neat and all but one of the things I love about the MSLA printers is that there's a LOT of competition in the resin production.

Talking about the filling fluid again - one of the advantages of top down printing is that if there are failed supports or bits of cured resin that are floating around, they tend to sink to the bottom of the vat and usually aren't in the way of the next print.  But depending on the density difference of this filling fluid, they may not sink all the way down and I could see them getting caught in the next print more often.  

Basically a whole lot of 'eh, I'll wait' going on for me too.

• Like 6

As seen on these sites.... Includes blurb provided by the company.  I fail to see how that's useful at all.  Same thing with that annoying animated "get it now!" GIF, or whatever it says.  Layout seems to really play up on making you focus in on a few points, but not the core details of the project itself. 

• Like 4

Basically, this feels like an early adoption "next gen" resin printer.

Whatever technology they're using now, I have a suspicion that it may become mainstream within a few years.

Something that doesn't inspire me with confidence is seeing how everyone on the staff has English names, but everything else is evidently in China.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Basically, this feels like an early adoption "next gen" resin printer.

Whatever technology they're using now, I have a suspicion that it may become mainstream within a few years.

Something that doesn't inspire me with confidence is seeing how everyone on the staff has English names, but everything else is evidently in China.

That last bit is one of the few things that doesn't bother me.  There is actually a paid service in China that helps western facing business people pick western names. The idea being they'll be more relatable and have an easier time of it if their name is familiar to the people they're working with.  That's why the guy we talk to at our Shanghai site is "Kenny" and one of the engineers I work with is "David." They say they're in Shenzhen, so it wouldn't surprise me if they availed themselves of the service.

• Like 4

People are asking for 3rd party reviews in the comments, they said they sent a review machine to Uncle Jesse, but he hasn't posted anything yet.  Admittedly still more than a month to go on the campaign.  

They keep sharing a link to a video posted by KJDOT but that looks more like a product showcase and not a 3rd party review.  Based on the comments they say that they're looking for other reviewers but those are the only ones they've named.

• Like 2

They're going to have issues getting many of the bigger names, because a lot of them refuse to touch a non-retail product.  Angus used to do the occasional Kickstarter product, until more and more sketchy ones started cropping up, for example, or companies would send a higher quality product to reviewers, then downgrade things for the final product..  Tom seems to be about the same. 

It could also be because companies tend to use any positivity produced by said overviews heavily in their marketing, and if something goes wrong guess who gets a bunch of fingers pointed at them...  Yeah, the content creators.. 

The other problem is so many companies will send out a product and expect almost immediate turnaround, which isn't the case for reviewing - it takes a while to do a proper review.  If they really wanted larger, more well known names involved they would have had to have been contacted 3-5 months before going live, and product in hand 2-3 months before going live, in order for enough time to not only fit it into their schedule, but also for a proper review (and then all the editing). 

Another big problem is if concerns are raised, waaaaay too many companies will threaten legal action, despite having agreed to terms of service beforehand, and they try to strong arm the creators.  Some creators will also outright refuse to review a unit if there are noticeable shortcuts, especially safety related ones (having a printer burn your house down is not soemthing anyone wants to have happen, let alone have your name attached to!) 

• Like 4

Search on "Undead Viking LOAD boardgame". Rahdo also had an apology video for "Project Elite" (before CMON) when the blobby production miniatures were released.

I'm too old school. 🙂 I dislike videos because a written review allows you to "read between the lines" and see what the review is missing. Videos provide content at *their* pace, so I can't skim the text and focus on what *I* want to know about a game, even if it's just the miniatures. I also find it frustrating watching a video and not knowing until the end if the reviewer actually played the game thoroughly. 

Returning back to KS 🙂 if you're familiar with economics, you've heard of "elastic vs inelastic" demand. "Elastic" items have competition, and you typically only have one of them. For example, you're most likely to own one 3D printer, unless you have an old model, or model that uses a different material (eg. resin vs filament). "Inelastic" items may have similar items (to an outsider), but, in the opinion of the customer, there's really no substitute. For example, Tiny Furniture has a KS for *sitting* tavern miniatures, which are wholly and entire different than *standing* tavern miniatures. 😄 Elasticity is a sliding scale and can vary for most people. But "inelastic" items are typically major purchases and you only need one or two of them (you don't really need more than one or two 3D printers) while "elastic" are less expensive minor purchases that you can have 20 or more of. 🙂

• Like 2

Honestly, just "fastest AND most accurate" together was enough to have me going "yeah, right. That's not gunna happen". Top that with all the other issues you've found? This seems like an awful idea.

Fast and accurate together on anything tends to not work.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

Honestly, just "fastest AND most accurate" together was enough to have me going "yeah, right. That's not gunna happen". Top that with all the other issues you've found? This seems like an awful idea.

Fast and accurate together on anything tends to not work.

You can get fast and accurate machines - but the price tags for them generally start at five and six figures, and cost thousands in annual maintenance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1