Free shipping minimum changing for US... Same for Canada still?

WhiteWulfe

Read the newsletter today, and free shipping threshold for US orders is changing from $40 USD to $50 USD.  Is it remaining at $75 USD for Canadian orders, or is that changing as well?  @Reaper_Jon

Edit: adding this in here as I didn't with my original post: this is to come into effect January 1st, 2022. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excerpt from email:

1469169362_Reapershippingchange.jpg.772825072c2d625a6959a420078f760e.jpg

The biggest reason I ask is that it was changed it for Canada two years ago from $40 USD to $75 USD, and it wasn't announced at all, hence why I'd like to know if there's going to be another change for Canada as well. https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86810-change-in-minimum-dollar-amount-for-free-delivery-on-canadian-orders/ 

• Like 2

• Super Administrators
15 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Read the newsletter today, and free shipping threshold for US orders is changing from $40 USD to $50 USD.  Is it remaining at $75 USD for Canadian orders, or is that changing as well? 

I'm not apart of the meetings for that, but i did ask, and it hasn't been determined if it is or not yet. But as soon as its ready to go out it will be put on everything! 

55 minutes ago, Inarah said:

It would be nice if info like this was posted somewhere (like maybe the website or the forum) and we weren't hearing about it 3rd hand. 

I just haven't gotten around to it. Ed made me prioritize the newsletter as it is the farthest reaching way to get info out at the moment to everyone.

• Like 6

Well, whatever it turns out to be it's probably going to be much less horrifying than this:

wlfreeship.jpg.62c9f822922cf5eeea91583961d2e072.jpg

To be fair, shipping costs are what they are and are outside the control of companies.  And to be fair to Warlord, this is fairly reasonable for their circumstances.  But it does show how good Reaper is to us about it, and unfortunately for Warlord that threshold is too high for me and prices me out - mostly because I'd be hard-pressed to find $175 USD worth of what I need to fill it out (the Perrys have been similarly compelled to boost their free shipping threshold to an equally too large amount).  And by way of further comparison, a year ago both Reaper and Warlord had the same free shipping threshold of $40 USD.  

It's all terribly inconvenient, but we're living in terribly inconvenient times.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

And by way of further comparison, a year ago both Reaper and Warlord had the same free shipping threshold of $40 USD.  

Actually, Reaper changed it for us Canadians two and a half years ago - see linked thread in my previous post where @Darsc Zacal was inquiring on June 13th, 2019 about what was a silent change at the time.  I do indeed understand the challenging logistics we're facing now due to a wide variety of reasons, and this is why I keep asking whether or not alternatives to USPS will be offered to Canadians, as lately it seems for a lot of companies it's cheaper to get something via FedEx or UPS 1-2 days Express than it is the 3-4 week route through USPS.

I'm mainly inquiring because last time the US changes were announced back then (from $35 to $40 USD), but Canada's was quietly changed with absolutely no announcement and it took people sending in tickets asking about it to actually get an answer - something I know several people at Reaper (but especially Jon) are working on changing (that perception that they aren't listening and/or communicating)

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Actually, Reaper changed it for us Canadians two and a half years ago - see linked thread in my previous post

Yeah, I was there.  I didn't specify the Canadian shipping threshold because we don't know what that revision will be so it's not especially useful at present and it is therefore easier to compare the difference between like starting values over the course of the past year.  What we do know is that Reaper was $40 and Warlord was $40 but now Reaper's 40 has become 50 and Warlord's 40 has become 175 in the same currency (USD).  From that we can reasonably extrapolate that whatever the new upped limit for Canada is then the relatively modest domestic US increase suggests (barring additional unknowns we don't or can't know) it should be commensurately modest when compared to the much more drastic increases seen in their peer hobby companies.  That might be $10, which would be nice, but will probably be more like $15-$20.  And if it's the latter (or more) then it's certain to be above the tax threshold in any case, so I would count on any future orders from Denton to Canada to be "GST/HST assured".  We had the sweet spot for a while, and it was nice, but I always considered that handy little loophole a time-limited entity that was inevitably going to be closed from one end or the other (theoretically it should not have existed in the first place, since on paper it does not but in practice it did).  Depending on one's point of view, this change will either be a big pain in the butt or it's just removing the de facto upper limit.  Having the tax free sweet spot made it make sense for me to stay at that level (i.e. between $81-$85), but if we hit the threshold where it's tax either way then larger orders like con packages or paint set become much more attractive because I'm no longer incentivized to stay in that $4 zone.  In any event, all it means in a practical sense is that buying from Reaper will be the same price as buying from my LGS (if my LGS stocked Reaper, which they do not) instead of being a nicer bargain.  For those without HST, it will still probably work out less.         

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Reaper_Jon I know it's the weekend (and a holiday one at that) but did they ever actually say anything clear cut about what the threshold for free shipping to Canada is now?  Seems it has potentially been changed, but no info was mentioned regarding Canadian thresholds when the US ones were increased. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe

Played around with a few thresholds....  (I live in Alberta)

$99.99 (Pathfinder Paint Set 1).  Free shipping available.

$89.98 (Crypt of the Dwarf King Set + Pirate City of Brinewind Set).  Free shipping available

$84.45 (4x Ruined Temple + Female Minotaur).  USPS First Class is all that is offered.

$86.91 (3x Ruined Temple + 6x Female Minotaur).  Free shipping available

$85.40 (23x Ruined Temple + 3x Female Minotaur + 4x Mr Bones).  Free shipping available.

Looks like the threshold for free shipping to Canada was bumped up to $85 USD.  I'm glad it isn't the nightmare case @buglips*the*goblin posted from another company where it skyrocketed, but at the same time I am frustrated that it was a silent change for Canada yet again (and the site FAQ hasn't been updated to showcase this - it still says $80 USD is the threshold).  The US got two weeks of notice through an email as well as social media posts...

I'd still like the option for some sort of express delivery service, since Reaper does work with UPS.  It would be really nice to be able to pay the $40-50 USD on a larger order (say a decent selection of paints and other things) and not have to wait for warmer weather as well as a full month for it to arrive.

• Super Administrators

Yes I was informed that it would not be changing, and that if it would be changing I would inform everyone. But it seems like something got changed on the FAQ, so im trying to track that down now. 

I'm sending an email to Ed and the gang about this. > Looking at the FAW on the site, it does appear to have gone up to 80$ judging from the sentence I see was updated there. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reaper_Jon said:

Yes I was informed that it would not be changing, and that if it would be changing I would inform everyone. But it seems like something got changed on the FAQ, so im trying to track that down now. 

I'm sending an email to Ed and the gang about this. > Looking at the FAW on the site, it does appear to have gone up to 80$ judging from the sentence I see was updated there. 

Hmmm, I wonder then if it's a database entry error (changed the 7 to 8, and forgot to change the 5 to a 0, thereby accidentally turning the threshold to $85) or if the FAQ is incorrect.

• Like 1

@Reaper_Jon Email that just went out says refer to the FAQ, which still states $80 USD for Canadian orders, however if you have a cart with $82.97 USD worth of product in it Free Shipping is ~NOT~ offered.288913175_ExampleCart1.thumb.jpg.bfc1500b1e6d1c79cab0f903b25dbf46.jpg

1760758807_ExampleCart2.thumb.jpg.cde506d1dca6f97f681ecb01c6b1c51e.jpg

It isn't being offered until it breaks the $85 USD mark despite FAQ and that nice red bar stating it's $80 USD for such.

• Like 2