How has 3D printing changed the hobby for you?

Illithar

Biggest issue I think a lot of LGS see in 3d printing is people who have the printers and are looking for a place to play things like the exclusively 3d printed games (looking at Dragonbond or Star Scrappers right now, among others). In that people will be wanting to play a game that entirely could NOT have been bought from the LGS, and thus cannot generate any revenue in being shown off in their store either.  (there are also the concerns of people 3d printing their own warhammer armies rather than buying them from the LGS, at least in those cases it's no different than the guy playing the army he bought online, which I know some LGS without the F in front have actually made issues over in the past)

That being said...  I don't see what would keep an LGS from partnering with a 3d printing service as a retail outlet for the merchant licenses that quite a number of Patreons have.

• Like 5

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

All that allows a lot more financially marginal sculpts to be made that wouldn’t be made it a run of 100+ minis had to be cast up in advance.

This

6 hours ago, haldir said:

3d printing has allowed me to have minis of things that mini companies don't want to make.

And this 

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

As far as this affecting LGS', I do not see that happening for the foreseeable future. 

And this. 

3d printing has let us build items that are not in stores.  I'm not buying less from the FLGS.  It has allowed artists to create models they couldn't sell through traditional casting and production, or market through traditional networks.  It has greatly expanded the at-home hobbying aspect of the industry. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Inarah said:

3d printing has let us build items that are not in stores.  I'm not buying less from the FLGS.  It has allowed artists to create models they couldn't sell through traditional casting and production, or market through traditional networks.  It has greatly expanded the at-home hobbying aspect of the industry. 

This.  I beleive I can say that I haven't 3d printed something I could buy in injection molded plastic.  (with the exception of one KS that I backed for STLs that later did another KS to release them as plastics.  I don't count that.)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Biggest issue I think a lot of LGS see in 3d printing is people who have the printers and are looking for a place to play things like the exclusively 3d printed games (looking at Dragonbond or Star Scrappers right now, among others). In that people will be wanting to play a game that entirely could NOT have been bought from the LGS, and thus cannot generate any revenue in being shown off in their store either.  (there are also the concerns of people 3d printing their own warhammer armies rather than buying them from the LGS, at least in those cases it's no different than the guy playing the army he bought online, which I know some LGS without the F in front have actually made issues over in the past)

That being said...  I don't see what would keep an LGS from partnering with a 3d printing service as a retail outlet for the merchant licenses that quite a number of Patreons have.

Yeah,  I think there is a problem where GW's prices make 3D printing seem really quite  attractive.  And outside GW wargaming is too fractured and faddish to make a store much money.

• Like 4

On 12/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Olaf the Stout said:

Yeah, my pile of shame is now digital! 😂

Thing is, they don't take up space until you print them, and you don't need to print them until near when you need to use them.

Our pile of digital shame is massive, but is still the size of a single drive....

The Auld Grump

14 hours ago, haldir said:

3d printing has allowed me to have minis of things that mini companies don't want to make. Other races of zombies, skeletons, ghouls, etc etc - 3d printing. Oddball creatures that don't exist in prepainted or produced minis - 3d printing has it. It does have a ups & down (currently I'm in the down phase of printing) but overall it's been a fun ride & one I'll continue to enjoy. MY FLGS owner said something regarding 3d printing the other day, he said he worries about the industry & how 3d printing will make miniatures & miniature games obsolete. I totally disagree with him there. 3d printers are just anther tool for the hobby. I don't they'll ever replace physical miniatures.

You have no idea how long I have wanted models for vardos and other horse drawn vehicles.

Then WizKids had their Adventurers Camp, which included a rather nice model of a Gypsy Reading wagon.

And then... STL Patrons happened. We have at least four vardos, two hearses, wagons galore, and several carriages.

• Like 6

Here is a great example of a limited appeal release. In the original 1984 release of Battletech, several models were based on the Dougram Anime. One was actually made by Revell in a big model, but it never made it to Battletech. A designer made one for 3D and it is now a part of my force! Never could have had the Bushmaster mech without this.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

And likely have a lot of those 24 Kobolds be slightly different sculpts, even if it’s just a mirror image.

Modular, with mirrored parts, and bodies that are compatible from another Patreon. Battle Yak did dragonborn, and with a head swap on the small versions, KOBOLDS!

Also, a naked dragon lady, because Battle Yak. Reduced her scale, and now she's a naked lady kobold.

And sewers, because kobolds in a sewer are BAD NEWS.

I had an idea, players have two parties that don't know each other.

Take the box of puzzle pieces, give her a shake, then give parts to BOTH parties. ::):

18 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Yeah,  I think there is a problem where GW's prices make 3D printing seem really quite  attractive.  And outside GW wargaming is too fractured and faddish to make a store much money.

GW has gone NUTS.

Cursed City is coming back out, but all the interest our group had was piddled away. ::(: We don't trust GW.

• Like 6

Having a CR-6 SE has been helping me fulfill life long yearnings for certain things that I could never justify the expense for before. Most of my life I spent a couple hundred dollars a year on minis with the occasionally much bigger purchase. I'm somewhat obsessed with minis but never spent a ton on terrain. A few years ago I started doing a lot of scratch built terrain and the printer has stepped in helping with that. I always spent the majority of my hobby dollars on 28mm fantasy minis with a few scifi, ancients and medievals thrown in. Was always interested in WW2 microarmour, spaceships, big stompy robots and other things.

In the last year since I got the printer I've printed and painted 2 large 1/285 WW2 armies and made a bunch of terrain for them. Plans for several more but not sure when. I spent a lot on the Battletech Clan Invasion KS and then doubled the number of mechs I'd bought with 3D prints and have files for tanks and infantry that I'll print someday. Printed a bunch of ruins and buildings for fantasy and historical 28mm vastly improving the quality of my building collection. I still have plans for large fleets of spaceships for Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG and other but have only printed a few ships. #2 son wanted to design a table top game based on a video game so we've ripped and printed a lot of minis and accessories for it.

Free stls and less than $200 cad of filament has already printed me what would have been well over $1000 of minis and terrain. Practically all of the files were found for free or made/modified by myself. Spent a lot of time searching for files and learning how to 3D model. I've always wanted to be able to design and make my own models but my sculpting and scratch building skills never matched what I can do now with the computer and printer. Still have lots to learn but getting respectable results already. So the printer has already easily paid for itself in savings on gaming. Lots of plans and ideas and if I can improve my 3D modelling skills there's really no limit other than my imagination. So I'm still spending roughly the same amount per year (adjusted for inflation 😁) as before but increased my output enormously.

• Like 5

First of all it's an extra aspect of the hobby. Not for everyone you need to want to tinker with the printer and files.

One of the huge benefits for me is being able to buy whole armies, including giants and busts and terrain for the price of a medium sized mini like a troll/ogre.

Also the storage of files instead of boxes of minis. And being able to choose from that huge collection.

Another aspect. Patreons are creating such original and strange minis that will never be made by a traditional company in physical form.

It doesn't mean that I will never buy a physical mini again. But I did stop backing kickstarters with physical minis. With 3D kickstarters one can get his files immediately after it ended instead of waiting for a year or more.

And it's very cool to work on a file and print it yourself. Mirroring, resizing and combining stuff makes it a fun part of the hobby.

Cost effective? Yes. 

I can print a giant, hollow it so it only cost a little resin, a physical one would be too expensive.

All in all, I was sceptical at first but now I'm happy I took the plunge. And I still work with a basic Elegoo Mars, still very satisfied with the results.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Modular, with mirrored parts, and bodies that are compatible from another Patreon. Battle Yak did dragonborn, and with a head swap on the small versions, KOBOLDS!

Also, a naked dragon lady, because Battle Yak. Reduced her scale, and now she's a naked lady kobold.

And sewers, because kobolds in a sewer are BAD NEWS.

I had an idea, players have two parties that don't know each other.

Take the box of puzzle pieces, give her a shake, then give parts to BOTH parties. ::):

GW has gone NUTS.

Cursed City is coming back out, but all the interest our group had was piddled away. ::(: We don't trust GW.

As a Blood Bowl player, I have zero trust in GW’s ability to not completely ruin a rule set that the community (and 1 non-GW person in particular) honed into a fantastically balanced rule set over the course of a decade.

Since re-releasing BB they’ve already made a heap of ill thought out rules changes and I’m sure that won’t be the last of them. It’s made even worse by GW fanboys singing their praises, no matter how dumb some of the changes are.

And now I sound like a crotchety old man! Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

All in all, I was sceptical at first but now I'm happy I took the plunge. And I still work with a basic Elegoo Mars, still very satisfied with the results.

I'm often surprised at how satisfied a lot of people still seem to be with their original 2K colour LCD printers. Generally when the tech improves in any area, people want the new shiny. However, I feel like, anecdotally, with resin printers, most people say they're still really satisfied with their original Mars or Photon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

I'm often surprised at how satisfied a lot of people still seem to be with their original 2K colour LCD printers. Generally when the tech improves in any area, people want the new shiny. However, I feel like, anecdotally, with resin printers, most people say they're still really satisfied with their original Mars or Photon.

You can count me in the group of people happy with their Mars.....I have had my share of failed prints, but that is because of user error, not mechanical error. I would love to have the funds to buy a 4k, 6k, or 8k, but why if you're happy with what you have?

Reverend Shartan

Edit: I did have an issue with my build plate trying to grind down into my screen, as well as the Z axis trying to move past the limits of the arm. After contacting Elegoo about this, they directed me to a gcode file that resets the coding to factory

Edited by Reverend Shartan
Additional information
  • Like 4