How has 3D printing changed the hobby for you?

Illithar

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

As a Blood Bowl player, I have zero trust in GW’s ability to not completely ruin a rule set that the community (and 1 non-GW person in particular) honed into a fantastically balanced rule set over the course of a decade.

Since re-releasing BB they’ve already made a heap of ill thought out rules changes and I’m sure that won’t be the last of them. It’s made even worse by GW fanboys singing their praises, no matter how dumb some of the changes are.

And now I sound like a crotchety old man! Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

Which version of the BB rules do you like the best? Printing some teams for it is on my wish list too. I have the 2nd ed box, a few extra minis and supplements. I play once in awhile but not enough to have bothered upgrading my rules.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Here is a great example of a limited appeal release. In the original 1984 release of Battletech, several models were based on the Dougram Anime. One was actually made by Revell in a big model, but it never made it to Battletech. A designer made one for 3D and it is now a part of my force! Never could have had the Bushmaster mech without this.

Thunderhead Studios by chance?  He did a good chunk of the Dougram designs because he absolutely loves that series. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Which version of the BB rules do you like the best? Printing some teams for it is on my wish list too. I have the 2nd ed box, a few extra minis and supplements. I play once in awhile but not enough to have bothered upgrading my rules.

The CRP rule set designed by Tom Anders (Galak Starscraper). The BB2016 rule set was basically the CRP rule set with a few ill thought out changes, followed by mounds of additional optional rules (because GW need to keep making rules so they can sell more rules supplements).

The latest rule set (BB2020) has several changes that just make the game worse in several ways.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, haldir said:

3d printing has allowed me to have minis of things that mini companies don't want to make. Other races of zombies, skeletons, ghouls, etc etc - 3d printing. Oddball creatures that don't exist in prepainted or produced minis - 3d printing has it. It does have a ups & down (currently I'm in the down phase of printing) but overall it's been a fun ride & one I'll continue to enjoy. MY FLGS owner said something regarding 3d printing the other day, he said he worries about the industry & how 3d printing will make miniatures & miniature games obsolete. I totally disagree with him there. 3d printers are just anther tool for the hobby. I don't they'll ever replace physical miniatures.

There may be some truth to that though.

I just downloaded the fantasy rules from One Page Rules.

Good rules, good STLs, and a good Patreon. All downloadable content.

Honestly better rules than GW as far as I can see. Less expensive minis than GW, even adding in the printer. <_< More to do with GW than anything else. GW pricing is nuts.

But GW is the 500 lb gorilla, so people peeling off on STLs instead of GW alone could be a big bucket of lost revenue.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

There may be some truth to that though.

I just downloaded the fantasy rules from One Page Rules.

Good rules, good STLs, and a good Patreon. All downloadable content.

Honestly better rules than GW as far as I can see. Less expensive minis than GW, even adding in the printer. <_< More to do with GW than anything else. GW pricing is nuts.

But GW is the 500 lb gorilla, so people peeling off on STLs instead of GW alone could be a big bucket of lost revenue.

Yeah, I freaking love how streamlined OPR is, and the fact that they also offer 2d printable standees for playing the game makes it accessible even without a 3d printer, as opposed to GW where a decent sized army is more than 2 month's mortgage. 

I just gotta find some more people to play with, which circles back to game stores and physical minis still staying relevant - when there's a brick and mortar location, particularly in places like shopping malls with a lot of foot traffic, those physical minis are still going to sell because that's what the brick and mortars have to offer.

• Like 2

As I noted in anther 3d post, my FLGS is now partnering up with a local printer/person to do up minis for PCs. They also offer a variety of store branded items like a dice jail, snow ball maker in the shape of a D20, etc etc. Hmmm kinda funny they have done this considering, one of the owners was kinda iffy to 3d printing & the hobby last time I talked with him. ::P:

• Like 2

KS (and myself) is at a point where 3D printers are becoming more viable as replacements for plastic miniatures. On the positive side, I'm seeing more .stl KS projects, which, of course, lead me to other ways (eg. Patreon, My Mini, Thingiverse) to get more .stl files. On the negative side, supply chain issues and shipping costs from China have increased the price and risk of plastic injection KS projects. Many KS funded pre-pandemic are hit hard with increased shipping, and other problems. And 3D printed miniatures don't have mold lines (although they have supports?). Like others, I have a surfeit of miniatures to paint, so many miniatures on KS won't be worth the risks, and those on retail won't be tempting enough to add to my collection.

I've also seen KS projects for custom miniature-making programs (not to mention HeroForge), and I'll get around to looking for a miniature making program that automatically generates a random miniature within whatever specs I give, much like The Sims random Sim generator. 😄 Also, some games (eg. Gloomhaven) have specific model requirements that, for whatever reason, retail miniature companies do not offer (although there will be a GH miniatures KS next year). Print and play boardgames may go beyond cards. 

Also, of course, 3D printers are getting better and better. I dunno -- maybe still waiting on ease of use, not to mention the mini's I already have to paint! 😭

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 3

On 12/29/2021 at 3:58 AM, ced1106 said:

Print and play boardgames may go beyond cards. 

They already have, Dodos and Dinos and Tiny Epic Pirates both had premium pnp tiers that included STL miniatures.

• Like 2

So, answering the original question: 3D printing has become an essential part of it all to me.  I first got into 3D printing after an RSI in my shoulder and hand forced me to give up hand sculpting and invest in ZBrush and digital sculpting.  I decided also to get a 3D printer, so I could see my own sculpts IRL. My first printer was a Photon S.  I wasn't quite prepared for just how involved 3D printing was or how much of a rabbit-hole it would become for me.  I ended up creating a dedicated printing space, upgraded the Photon S to a Sonic Mini 4K, and am now in the process of adding a Sonic Mini 8K. 

Not long after I got into 3D printing and really got good at it and deeply understood how the tech works and why; Dark Sword Miniatures and I formed a partnership where I would at first run test prints for them on my Photon, and then last year we added the Mini 4K so I was able to start printing all of their master copies.  That took a ton of research and trials to get the settings perfect but also to find the right resin to enable the creation of vulcanized molds for pewter casting.  90% of printing resins cannot handle the heat and pressure of molding.  Most of the ones that can, don't hold the sharp detail that Dark Sword requires.  To date we have found only 2 resins that fit the bill, and one is not generally available (I do have a cabinet fully of partly used test bottles of resins that failed vulcanization; I should bring those to RC next summer and see if any of you want them before they go bad).

3D printing has made me a better ZBrush sculptor for sure.  Honestly, I can't understand how anyone can sculpt minis digitally, especially multi-part minis, without access to a 3D printer.  They must have a series of rejects and redos with every sculpt or something (I actually know this is often true, as I am now the guy doing the rejecting).  I seldom have a mini that doesn't need a tweak or two to the sculpt after something that looked right in digital space just doesn't fit or work in reality.

Next up for me is getting the new Mini 8K setup and dialed in (it came last Friday).  I'll be starting a topic covering my endeavors with that here soon, but here's a teaser shot of the Mini 8K (right) next to my hard working little Mini 4K (I'm not sure that the Mini moniker still fits this machine):

image.thumb.png.56c248b91d07e44228ee766e1bc5d43d.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Next up for me is getting the new Mini 8K setup and dialed in (it came last Friday).  I'll be starting a topic covering my endeavors with that here soon, but here's a teaser shot of the Mini 8K (right) next to my hard working little Mini 4K (I'm not sure that the Mini moniker still fits this machine):

I didn't pay enough attention to the specs.  I didn't realize it was that much bigger.

• Like 2

I've always been a do it myself sort of person.  I got into hirst arts because I wanted to build my own dungeons instead of build them for example.  Being able to print my miniatures myself has been great.  It's also accelerated my wife learning to sculpt in incalculable ways.  I'm excited for the 8k when it releases, and I hope to get into FDM printing this year.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, Olaf the Stout said:

The CRP rule set designed by Tom Anders (Galak Starscraper). The BB2016 rule set was basically the CRP rule set with a few ill thought out changes, followed by mounds of additional optional rules (because GW need to keep making rules so they can sell more rules supplements).

The latest rule set (BB2020) has several changes that just make the game worse in several ways.

One of the things I like about OPR.

Consistent rules. GW rules are driven by their exceptions.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1