Jump to content

How has 3D printing changed the hobby for you?


Illithar
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Olaf the Stout said:

So many exceptions and one-off rules. It’s like they prefer random rules to a consistent and balanced rule set.

 

To me, it seems GW doesn't completely play test rules before releasing the next "must have" codex. This has been going on since Rogue Trader days (back in the early '80's)

 

In addition to my previous comment, 3d printing also allows me to create/print models to represent units I wish I had, or haven't been able to acquire. 

 

Reverend Shartan

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Reverend Shartan said:

 

To me, it seems GW doesn't completely play test rules before releasing the next "must have" codex. This has been going on since Rogue Trader days (back in the early '80's)

It’s ok, we’ll just sell them another rule book to fix the issues.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back on track.....

 

3d printing has also helped me get out of my comfort zone when it comes to electronics and such. I am not in any way experienced in working with things like these printers, and now I have 2 (an Ender 3, and a Mars). Hopefully, these printers will get me out doing 3d sculpting, and design.

 

Reverend Shartan

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Reverend Shartan said:

Back on track.....

 

3d printing has also helped me get out of my comfort zone when it comes to electronics and such. I am not in any way experienced in working with things like these printers, and now I have 2 (an Ender 3, and a Mars). Hopefully, these printers will get me out doing 3d sculpting, and design.

 

Reverend Shartan

Likewise, I’ve learned a heap of stuff about Chitubox as a result of having a 3D printer. I’m not sure I’ll ever do 3D sculpting of my own, but if I do I’ve learned a lot of things that will help me with it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have become far more picky. Before, I was willing to use multiples off one model with the only difference being the paint job. With 3d printing, there's a huge number of models to chose from, for common monsters like undead or goblins, but also for stuff like beholders and mind flayers. I'm not sure if I'd ever need to field a couple dozen different models of those, but I totally could if I wanted to. I've also started to really like modular models. There's also the issue of scale which I didn't care about before (not that I had much of a choice), but with 3d printing it's far easier to keep minis in consistent size (it's still sometimes tricky and I did print my fair share of to large and to small figures).

I now spend far more money on STLs than I did on physical models, due to Patreon and KS. I've also gotten interested in Wargaming.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jadeite said:

I have become far more picky. Before, I was willing to use multiples off one model with the only difference being the paint job. With 3d printing, there's a huge number of models to chose from, for common monsters like undead or goblins, but also for stuff like beholders and mind flayers. I'm not sure if I'd ever need to field a couple dozen different models of those, but I totally could if I wanted to. I've also started to really like modular models. There's also the issue of scale which I didn't care about before (not that I had much of a choice), but with 3d printing it's far easier to keep minis in consistent size (it's still sometimes tricky and I did print my fair share of to large and to small figures).

I now spend far more money on STLs than I did on physical models, due to Patreon and KS. I've also gotten interested in Wargaming.

 

The little trick I use.

I know I have some files that are the right size. So I load one of those in Chitubox. Then I load the file I actually want to print and rescale it till it matches the "good" file.

Then remove the other file and print the one you want.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, 3d printing has made me sloppier at painting, because I always have so much to get through, especially my 15mm wargaming stuff.

 

As far as fantasy figures goes, both characters and monsters, several elements have combined to swing things in favour of 3d printing rather than buying traditionally produced miniatures.

 

The first is the rapid and massive increases in shipping costs — I'm in New Zealand, so we're far away from everywhere, and postage now regularly exceeds the cost of whatever it is that I want to buy. That, combined with the increases in the cost of casting metal, means that the price of physical miniatures from overseas has doubled or tripled or even quadrupled, in real terms, for us at the ends of the earth.

 

Next is the equally massive slow-down in shipping. Not so long ago, I could expect to get an order from the USA or UK or China within 5 to 10 days. Now it's more like 6 weeks to 3 months, and sometimes even longer. I've had orders arrive in the last couple of years that I had completely forgotten about; a pleasant surprise I guess, but I would have preferred to have received them a bit more promptly.

 

COVID has forced changes too, with lockdowns skewering our face-to-face tabletop gaming to a large extent. Not that we've been fully locked down here as much as, say, the UK, but there seems to be a certain timidity in the air about bunches of people gathering around a table to spit in each other's faces.  Miniatures just aren't as much fun in a Zoom game, so I'm less likely to bother with them at all unless I really feel like painting something. That's not an issue relevant to choosing 3d printed vs. traditional miniatures of course, but overall.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MojoBob said:

Miniatures just aren't as much fun in a Zoom game

 

Can you import .stl files into VTT? Tabletop Simulator has some sort of way to play miniatures virtually!

 

Spoiler

8d02qkgavgr21.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been thinking about this again, and I'll say this much - the resin printer, and especially the Howling Horde has reignited my ideas for Midnight Raid, so I'm rather happy about that.  Now to just clear a few things off the desk first before I get back to it, but a few things I couldn't figure out are now effectively figured out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Olaf the Stout said:

Yeah, my pile of shame is now digital! 😂

And because of the Patreons, that Pile o' Digital Shame grows fast.

 

Epic alone adds over a hundred models a month.

 

We have already decided that our tax return will be named Saturn.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

And because of the Patreons, that Pile o' Digital Shame grows fast.

 

Epic alone adds over a hundred models a month.

 

We have already decided that our tax return will be named Saturn.

 

The Auld Grump

I’ve made myself a rule for this year to not print more minis than I paint. Given that I just got my first ever 3D printer, I’m going to need to paint quite a bit just so I can use my new shiny!

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...