How has 3D printing changed the hobby for you?

Illithar

10 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

A stupider idea, as 3D printers are REALLY gaining traction.

(Dear Grump, you were right, I was wrong. 3D printing ROCKS! :bday: )

It's definitely changed my buying intentions for most minis and scatter terrain. In those cases I'm almost certain to go with an STL over a physical mini. Big minis and terrain are about the only physical miniatures I can see myself buying moving forwards unless I find minis that are just too cool or perfect for my needs.

• Like 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

A stupider idea, as 3D printers are REALLY gaining traction.

(Dear Grump, you were right, I was wrong. 3D printing ROCKS! :bday: )

Thou, like Reaper has said, there are gamers out there (apparently, allot) that just want to get a miniature with a intergrated base, pull it out of the package & slap it down onto the game map. Some people don't want to bother with setting up 3d printers, learning how to use them, etc etc. This has come from ReaperRon, Ed & ReaperBryan.

I for one, am not one of those. Sadly even with 3d printing, I still can't get everything that I'd like for my games. :poke:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Thou, like Reaper has said, there are gamers out there (apparently, allot) that just want to get a miniature with a intergrated base, pull it out of the package & slap it down onto the game map. Some people don't want to bother with setting up 3d printers, learning how to use them, etc etc. This has come from ReaperRon, Ed & ReaperBryan.

I for one, am not one of those. Sadly even with 3d printing, I still can't get everything that I'd like for my games. :poke:

There's room for both, we are waiting with baited breath for Bones 6.

But $50 for 7 kobolds is pants on head stupid.

Kobolds. Eensy weensy kobolds.

And the only extras on the sprues are jars.

Jars?

WTAF?!!

Did they just not bother checking the competition? Frostgrave sprues are LOADED!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

There's room for both, we are waiting with baited breath for Bones 6.

But $50 for 7 kobolds is pants on head stupid.

Kobolds. Eensy weensy kobolds.

And the only extras on the sprues are jars.

Jars?

WTAF?!!

Did they just not bother checking the competition? Frostgrave sprues are LOADED!

Maybe they hired an old GW executive?

Sounds like madness..

There is a lot out there that's competitive and affordable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Maybe they hired an old GW executive?

Sounds like madness..

There is a lot out there that's competitive and affordable.

They are even more expensive than GW. You can get 10 AoS Orks for 50$. And of course Wizkids uses renders instead of the actual minis on the box art.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

It's definitely changed my buying intentions for most minis and scatter terrain. In those cases I'm almost certain to go with an STL over a physical mini. Big minis and terrain are about the only physical miniatures I can see myself buying moving forwards unless I find minis that are just too cool or perfect for my needs.

Plus there are STLs we just WOULDN'T buy as a physical model, because not enough use.

Last week we printed an evil lab and a cryo pod for Stargrave.

Before the printers, we would have built our own, but the STLs just look so nice.

But the zombies I used were plastic, because we have HUNDREDS of them.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 2:58 PM, Olaf the Stout said:

Get a FDM printer (haven't set up my Neptune 2S yet, but if it works even better then my OG 2, it will be awesome), for about $250, you can get a Neptune 2S from Elegoo (sometimes ebay has ones even cheaper, and they are from elegoo.), this way you have resin for mini detail and FDM for stuff like terrain, busts or if the sculptor is good (arbiter miniatures for example) decent mini's. FDM is a bit more of a learning curve then resin, but not by much.

On 3/12/2022 at 3:42 PM, haldir said:

I have a bunch of STL's that have great integrated bases (Mia Kay for example), and 3D printers are getting easier to get up and running IMHO. I do know though that after the last convention, there are those who still would rather just buy a mini (I did get a few mini's sold that I printed though, and a bunch of  printed terrain)

On 3/13/2022 at 8:42 AM, PaganMegan said:

Plus there are STLs we just WOULDN'T buy as a physical model, because not enough use.

Last week we printed an evil lab and a cryo pod for Stargrave.

Before the printers, we would have built our own, but the STLs just look so nice.

But the zombies I used were plastic, because we have HUNDREDS of them.

I have sooo many models you would NEVER see hit the light of day, all because of 3D printing (2 different sets of NOT scooby doo, predator, aliens, the alien that pops out near the end of spaceballs:). And it has been a boon for many sculptors who would probably never get a foot in the door at a mainstream company, or be relegated to making whatever the company thinks people want. I have so many great sculptors constantly turning out awesome niche mini's (RN Estudio, papsikels, epic, clay cyanide, hex3d, great grimoire, and village's hope just to name a few).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Get a FDM printer (haven't set up my Neptune 2S yet, but if it works even better then my OG 2, it will be awesome), for about $250, you can get a Neptune 2S from Elegoo (sometimes ebay has ones even cheaper, and they are from elegoo.), this way you have resin for mini detail and FDM for stuff like terrain, busts or if the sculptor is good (arbiter miniatures for example) decent mini's. FDM is a bit more of a learning curve then resin, but not by much.

My need for large scale terrain is much less. So for the amount of use of get out of it, it’s probably not worth the space it would take up. I can still use my resin printer for smaller terrain pieces, although that can get expensive. For bigger stuff I’ll just continue to buy it for now.

• Like 2