Sueños: the art of Gary Villarreal, by Reina Roja Miniatures

Cygnwulf

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reinaroja/suenos-the-art-of-gary-villarreal

They took a long time to come live with this one.......

like their other one (Sombras) Reina Roja has chosen an artist with some just askew of normal surreal artwork to draw from.    His insta is here Gary Villarreal

Looks like the only complaints on their previous KS (Sombras) were shipping delays and people who didn't seem to understand that they were ordering multipart resin models and were determined to kick up a storm about how this wasn't what they thought they were ordering.  

image.thumb.png.082106e5bb1bbcf70c953217d6de4433.png

image.png.39a66ad7928eb8e54b587ffb9641a60b.png 

image.png.7c43d64d2c9dcf8846c6b8cddf504983.pngimage.png.d70f8b9f835d6301abf3e77ba246d5ea.png

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 4

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting on my piece from their first KS; they shipped it on time (mid-Nov), and most people have gotten theirs. It is in the awkward "it might be late, it might be actually lost, or this may just be international shipping" sort of time frame. They've offered to send a new one, and I let them know that if it wasn't here by New Years that would be appreciated. The art by their second choice is interesting but so far I'm not as drawn to it as the first one.

• Like 2

I went all in on the first one and can confirm that the people in the comment section who are complaining about the models that they received were definitely people who are not familiar with the hobby and didn't understand what they were ordering. The pieces that I received are absolutely beautiful, top tier resin that will require some minor clean-up. There are a lot of small, delicate pieces that will require gentle care with prep and assembly; they're not beginner models by any means, but they are absolutely gorgeous. I'm extremely pleased with them, and I will definitely be backing this second kickstarter.

I'm going to go leave a similar comment on the previous kickstarter page because I hadn't realized they were getting broccoli on over there.

• Like 5

On 12/23/2021 at 5:40 AM, Guindyloo said:

I went all in on the first one and can confirm that the people in the comment section who are complaining about the models that they received were definitely people who are not familiar with the hobby and didn't understand what they were ordering. The pieces that I received are absolutely beautiful, top tier resin that will require some minor clean-up. There are a lot of small, delicate pieces that will require gentle care with prep and assembly; they're not beginner models by any means, but they are absolutely gorgeous. I'm extremely pleased with them, and I will definitely be backing this second kickstarter.

I'm going to go leave a similar comment on the previous kickstarter page because I hadn't realized they were getting broccoli on over there.

I went in for one - the skeleton lady bust. Was tempted by some others, but restrained myself. The skeleton is probably one of the tougher casts just due to the nature of getting tiny ribs to match.

The casts are about as I expected and hoped for. Not sure I'd say "top tier" but "near top tier". Absolutely in line with what we should expect for the cost. Their cast is better than most of the similar cost models, but not as good as Ignis or Spira (who are abnormally good). I'll have some minor prep work, but the casts are detailed and the locations of areas needing prep aren't problematic. I'm not going to need to do crazy filing over the face or hair, for example. The details are great and crisp; they'll make painting smoother due to the crispness. I will have to work on the ribcage a bit to get it together, and use a *tiny* bit of greenstuff under the arm, and file a little at the bottom of the hair where the cast ends (very minor and easy positioned). Definitely would recommend them. 

They shipped when they said they would, and when mine was taking abnormally long, they offered to send a new one. Fortunately, not needed in the end (it arrived on Christmas Eve, and I let them know). They communicated on progress well during the campaign.

I gave my recommendation on their KS comments, because they're really getting slammed by the people who are clueless about the hobby. Some of the complaints make it pretty clear that they have no idea what goes into making these or what is needed for the hobby. They want pieces that snap together like gundams and model cars, and wanted that skeleton of ribs done in one piece - that *has* to be in two pieces in a resin cast, even if that means some assembly afterward. The idea that one might have to pull out a file or hobby knife for a figure *at all* seemed abhorrent to some of those people.

Only complaints? Their video teasers for the 2nd KS are totally useless and drawn out. The actual pieces and running of the KS I expect will be great. I don't think they needed quite as big of a box for the bust I got; beautiful box but it'll make storage tougher. I may end up re-boxing it into something smaller and using the original box for a gifting box on other things.

• Like 4

Yeah the currently revealed bust for it doesn't catch me, but it is a very cool character. I'll be happy to see how other people paint it. Maybe other things will be more my style in this one, maybe not. I do like their idea of rotating through concept artists, although less a fan of the KS-exclusive aspects.

40 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

It's high-detail Resin casts. Odds are that the molds won't last much longer than to produce for the pledges. 

Scale 75 does the casting for them. There would be a master cast somewhere such that more molds could be made after the pledge ones, if they wanted to. Perhaps just not a type of business that they want to run, because then it would require maintenance of old pieces in addition to making new stuff.

Posted (edited)

I think Cyrandis is right though, masters do last a while, albiet with a mold maker who knows what they're doing and they do require some maintenance, but some of the really small boutique miniature makers are not wanting to spend the time to maintain them.  Based on the renders that RR is showing these are digital sculpts anyway so it's completely possible to produce a brand new master, though processing and prepping a master is effort.  The concept of unlimited # but only limited time to order an item is not that unheard of, heck it has been a tradition of garage kits for longer than I've known what a garage kit was (Admittedly garage kits being what they were originally it really was just as likely because the masters weren't made in a way that allowed a lot of molds to be made from them) and has been picked up by some western miniatures companies for their special display pieces as well. Heck, I'm reminded of Spira Miriablis in particular , they don't use Kickstarter and have their own website but each piece is only on sale for 48 hours, and however many are ordered during that time is all they're going to ever make.  it's kind of a weird in between of items that are in production for a good while and one of a kind pieces.

It also has a tendency to capitalize on FOMO and make the release of a new item it's entire success instead of maybe having a mediocre initial sales and making up for it in long term returns.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 1

Didn't realize they'd have the pre launch pushed out this far or I'd of waited to create the original thread but this one's finally up. (apparently 'coming soon' in this case meant a little over 6 months)

Edited the original post.

I think I'm in for this guy, although I kinda fee like if you're going to do down past the knees why not just make it a full figure?.

image.png.e84f214173e7be2260e3df941016fb2d.png

• Like 1