Collecting A Warlord Army

ixminis

The Topic and Topic Description say it all: I'm thinking about collecting a few warlord armies and writing a "how I did it" kind of a thing... I think I'll start with a starter set and see how it goes from there. Probably do some level of "how I painted 'em" as well... and some level of "How I lose my battles and decide what to buy next" thing to top it off...

Anyone interested?

Okee,

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure thing - the more the merrier! You are starting with Crusaders, yes? I think that'll be the first one I start with... although I've got a leaning towards the Reven or Reptus as the number two and number three armies... here I am hoping that I can paint fast enough!

Goal number one... keep the size/scope of each step small enough that I don't lose momentum.

Editing started here: Ha - ah-ha - ha-ha! I found em! I thought that was you that posted your crusaders in the show off area! Good deal! Looking goood!

The more the merrier!!!

More than likely, the stuff I post here will end up on my site as well...

To start: I spent some time re-sorting my Warlord mini's and found that indeed I've got a reasonable number of Crusader, Reptus, and Reven figures... and some figures from all the other factions. It's a sad commentary on my organizational skills that I didn't know this for sure when I started. To avoid running into this sort of a problem and ensure easy army building in the future, I now have all of my Warlord figures sorted by faction. Within each faction, I have the figures sorted by figure type: grunt (also by weapon type within the grunts), sergeant, hero, etc.

Now that all of the sorting is done... I still want to begin with a starter army. Why? because it's an "easy decision".... it's already pointed out and I don't have to figure anything out. That, and I discovered I really didn't have any Templar sword and shield dudes or (14109: Templars with Sword and Shield) or the familiar. How I managed to do that I'll never know, but I did. Combine that with the fact that I have no problem whatsoever with having duplicate figures of the Duke and Valandil and it's a quick decision. All hail quick decisions...

Starter Army:

1 Duke Gerard, Warlord (14068)

1 Valandil, Mage (14045)

9 Templar Warriors (14109)

1 Good Fairy Familiar

Also included are bases, data cards, dice, and a measuring tool.

That's it for now... when I get the starter army... I'll post again!

Rgds,

ixminis:

I understand your comments about organization. I'm in the process of redoing how I store my factions, as it is currently very difficult to know what's what.

I've had them in these big plastic tubs with different types of foam storage trays. Problem is, I can't SEE what is available for each faction, especially grunts, all in one place.

Having been to several conventions, I've had a chance to see the big rolling cases that Reaper uses for a lot of its figs. They are similar to the airline carry-on rolly bags, but much bigger. I've taken smaller cases and 1" foam, and I'm making trays for it. Each tray holds 45 - 50 miniatures.

I've got one tray set up for Reven and another for Crusader at this writing. It sure is nice to see everything in one place! It will be much easier to get skirmish groups on the table with this arrangement.

Ah-ha... now we're talking about storing and transporting them once they are painted! Yes.... I'll be doing that using magnetic bases and boxes that have metal on the bottom... pictures when I get to that point. For long haul shipping, I use the $10.00 gun cases that are sold at Target / Wal-Mart during hunting season.

Whee!

I just bought two platoon packs and clipped them together, and I have the foam inserts. I'm thinking about getting extra foam and just using those to store minis in on shelves long term, with a label. Then when I need them I'll toss 'em in my platoon packs and carry them to where I am going.

I dunno yet.. I also have a ton of 10, 15 and 28mm WWII stuff that needs a home, as well as my legions of teddy bear space marines - so it might get costly.

Today my Warlord Necropolis starter set arrived!

What it comes with is 1 Judas Bloodspire (14016), 1 Malek Blackmarrow necromancer (14040), 12 skeletal warriors (3x 14075) and one "Dark Fairy" familiar (014041d) For nearly 750 points of "what do we care if you kill us, we are deal already" goodness.

So I guess my first tasks will be to take pictures of everyting in one great big heap of unfinished metal, clean up the mold lines, base and prime them.

I also think I am going to attempt to convert the skeletons to have coffin lid shields, so we'll see how that goes...

Pictures to follow as I work on them... should they continue to be posted to this thread?

Hey, get 1" (or thicker) foam at JoAnn's Fabrics. Cut inserts to the proper sizes (I've been using the inserts from my grey plastic boxes as a pattern) and then hot glue closed cell foam to the bottom. They sell the stuff in sheets as some kind of foam craft thing.

That's what I've been doing for the trays in my rolly cart. I've also put corrigated plastic (like cardboard, but made from plastic sheets) between the trays for extra stability when I lift them out. So far the trays are working great. I have five in my rolly cart, and four of them are cut. I have Reven, Necropolis, and Crusader in their own trays. Most of my lizardfolk are in the fourth tray, with a few Nefsokar (just starting that group). The last tray is still uncut.

I could use some thin foam rubber, like what Reaper uses in the boxed sets, to go between the trays. Other than that the whole thing is working great. I'm using old t-shirt material for that purpose now.

The "personal armies" for my son and myself are still in one of the aformentioned plastic tubs; they are a lot easier to manage when you know there's only two factions in them. He plays Dwarves, I have Elves.

By the way, the factions that seem to work best for these trays are Dwarves and Crusaders. Even the Warlords will fit in this type of tray. I'm thinking I'll have similar luck with the Nefsokar.

I won't put Judas Bloodspire in one of these packs; I'm afraid I'll break off his sword or cape. And getting the Wraith Harvesters into the pack is a true pain in the rear.

That's something to keep in mind when picking your forces - transporting them. If you want something that's easy to pack, definately take a look at Dwarves and Crusaders. Easy to pack and the minis themselves are pretty sturdy. Reven take up a lot of space and the skellies in the Necropolis are very fragile. Judas is a pain to pack.

There are no grunts for the elves or darkspawn. Of the elves, several models have bows that could very easily get snapped off in transportation. I only have a few Nefsokar. I could talk about them later, when I've got a few more and see how they pack. The Awakened (mummies) are easy to paint, easy to pack, and sturdy; even if I didn't work on the rest of the force, they'd have a place as "random monsters" for campaign or demos.

Okee, I have the figures from the box set & have started prepping, priming, AND playing with a paint scheme. I'm including a picture of what I am 99% sure is my paint scheme. Initially, I wanted to base my crusaders on historical templar knight colours. As I would like the figures to photo reasonably well... I started leaning towards NMM... "Let's see, heavily armed and armoured figures, NMM, at least 60 figs planned to fill out the army...." Time to change the paint scheme.

Faced with painting an army for the rest of my life, or being able to field it within a few months, I opted to take the colours and flip-flop them. Red, instead of being an accent, would become the main colour. White, instead of being on every figure, would NOT be present on grunts. Finally, I'd go 50/50 metallic and NMM on the grunts.

Without further ado, paint scheme test #1 (Kinda looks like a red cylon, eh?)

templar_test.JPG

Next... I slave away at completing my boxed set army... Probably nothing until I start approaching the characters...

Rgds,

My understanding is that they are en-route to a FLGS near you! I didn't really get an advance copy; I was lucky enough to see the box sets on the shelf at the Asylum!

Yes, every night, before I go to bed, I give thanks for a chance to live in Reaperville (soon to be the new name of Denton)

Rgds,

...I've also put corrigated plastic (like cardboard, but made from plastic sheets) between the trays for extra stability when I lift them out. ...

Is that plastic from various "vote for..." or "...homes" type of signs that are everywhere?

Plenty of that to be had. Glad to find a use for it.