Getting to know you, January 2022

Corsair

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 7 January 2022

Did you have to exchange/return any Christmas gifts this year?

Since most of the gifts this year were gift cards, foods and drinks, there was no need.

• Like 10

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

No, but we did throw away the garbage that my husband’s father sent us. Aside from the gift card, that is.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I got a kitchen appliance that had been purchased off of Amazon and shipped through UPS.  Amazon just slapped a shipping label on the box with no additional protection and UPS proceeded to crush it.  I personally quit ordering anything breakable off Amazon years ago for this very reason.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

On 1/6/2022 at 10:28 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 6 January, 2022

What is your favorite outdoor activity, and is it seasonally affected?

We have yet to figure out how to fit my canoe in the bathtub. 

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Exchange, in a rather unusual fashion. My sister bought me a used PS4 from a friend of hers, but the controller cable wouldn't stay connected. She lent me one. The replacement has arrived in the post, but I will just give her the new one. 

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Corsair said:

Ah, the joys of buying your own gifts, you don't have to roll your eyes when you open a box and it's nothing at all like what you had asked for, or even linked to.

Thankfully my parents have switched to gift cards, because I'm "too difficult to pick out gifts for".  Sure mom, it's totally my fault you guys literally ask me for links to the exact products I'd love to get, or that you ask WHERE I shop and then you send the gift cards for places I haven't shopped in years.  I wish I was kidding, but for years I've told my parents I shop at SportChek for clothing because their stuff lasts a long while and there's a good selection.  Mom keeps sending Marks gift cards, which means at least my socks are taken care of, but it's still rather annoying to say the least.

The worst though is when they know you shop online (the downsides of working Monday to Friday, y'know) and they give you a $25-50 gift card...  To a place that free shipping requires $100 in purchases.  "It's just fifteen minutes by bus" isn't a valid reason mom, as that assumes the every fifteen minute bus shows up within two minutes of me getting there, and is running on schedule.  That "just fifteen minutes" rapidly becomes an hour and a half for a "quick" trip.

Still haven't gotten the Russian Mints I've asked for three years back to back (they ~always~ ask what chocolate I want, and they got me hooked on Morden's...  I get a $25 Purdy's gift card.  The nearest one is over half an hour away...)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 8 & 9 January 2022

8: What is your favorite music genre?

9: Do you ever get a strange look when you say what it is?

All sorts of Metal and Rock. From Supertramp to Death Metal like Arch Enemy or Bolt Thrower.

Sometimes I get strange looks. 

• Like 9

On 1/8/2022 at 3:34 AM, Corsair said:

having received a total 1 gift that I picked myself, no.

Don't really have one, usually revert to Gothic/Industrial/Metal of some description. I'm used to getting strange looks...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Another Metal and Hard Rock fan.

Can't recall the last time it would have come up in a conversation, but no I doubt I got any strange looks.

• Like 9

Gimme that rock 'n roll of assorted sub-genres, though I do enjoy some pop music every now and then... and "Weird Al", though he's a favorite artist, not a genre.

No, I don't get any strange looks when people ask... people don't really ask actually. I probably get strange looks in the car when I'm stopped at a red light, mouthing the words to the song.

• Like 10

I listen to aggrotech, drum n bass, and gabber, so...  I probably just made Glitterwolf roll their eyes at minimum.   Oh yeah, hardstyle, and especially the hardstyle that mixes in elements of gabber and DnB.... Bonus points if elements of breaks are thrown in too. 

And yes, I get all sorts of weird looks, usually confused ones, doubly so when they ask "why?" and my answer is "I like it hard and fast..." 

And ohhh yeah, I've had numerous arguments with people with them starting off with "so it's techno, right?" ...No, no it isn't.  Totally different style of music.  That's like telling a metalhead that AC/DC, In This Moment, Metallica, and (insert the band of whatever shirt they're wearing here) are all pop rock.  Would have had better examples, but metal is something I know little of, but it is generally enjoyable. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

I listen to a variety of music depending on the situation, but New Age and Ambient are probably my favorites.  And yes, I get that blank confused look when I ask about new titles at the record/CD store. 

• Like 8