Getting to know you, January 2022

Corsair

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 8 & 9 January 2022

8: What is your favorite music genre?

9: Do you ever get a strange look when you say what it is?

Another rock/metalhead here.

No, although I haven't been asked lately, either.

• Like 8

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

For reasons unknown, I've never been a big fan of music.

However, I do like TV/film scores. Probably because of the strong visuals and story lines I associate with any particular piece.

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Why are you looking at me that way?

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Come to think of it for this weekend's question, my boss at a previous job when he rode with me once was all "I love industrial music!" and so I put on some Funker Vogt, I think it was their album Blutzol.  I broke his brain for a bit..  The words "I'm never riding with you while you listen to music" may have been mentioned, and more because of the music itself...  And that isn't even the hardest or harshest stuff I listen to. 

...Nowhere near as much as the driver meeting where he was all "I love sushi!" and our Philipino driver ordered anything he could, and then proceeded to truly break said boss' brain with eel, roe, and other types of sushi... 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don’t really know the names of music genres accurately. What genre do Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, or Moody Blues fit within?

Those are all rock and roll bands but that (Rock) is too broad to be a genre? or not?

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

I never tell anyone IRL what my favorite music genre is and no one has ever asked. :mellow:

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

8: while I can no longer hear music, I LOVED  quite a lot of genres from Opera to Acid Rock and just about everything in between. Folk was probably my favorite. I can still play the music I enjoyed through my head.

9: Only when I start singing along with what is playing in my head. I do that quite often.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

I listen to a lot of different music. Most often is country or celtic with older rock close. I'm a rancher so no real surprises there. Probably the most unusual for here is various old russian music.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

J-Pop and anime soundtracks, which does get some odd looks sometimes, as I’m the high side of 50 (I’ve listened to it since the early 90’s).  

But the last time I mentioned it, I got questions about the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, from someone of the same age who’d seen the Netflix live-action show and liked the music!

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

I like a pretty broad range of music.

People used to find me listening to J-Pop weird, but I think that sort of stuff is a bit more mainstream these days.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, TGP said:

I don’t really know the names of music genres accurately. What genre do Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, or Moody Blues fit within?

Those are all rock and roll bands but that (Rock) is too broad to be a genre? or not?

I never tell anyone IRL what my favorite music genre is and no one has ever asked. :mellow:

Those are labeled Prog Rock ( Progressive Rock).

• Like 5

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Beaten by the other wolf by less than an hour!:ph34r:

I agree with his assessment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TGP said:

[…]

Those are all groups that have done pretty exclusively “concept albums”.  Is that genre?

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Corsair said:

I guess it's Contemporary Christian, though I really only turn up the volume for about half of the songs on the radio. I think the other stuff I like is probably under the New Age umbrella, though it's hard to say. A lot of it is chant/classical/tribal mixed together in various forms. I grew up on Country, so I like to sing the older stuff. Some of the really old stuff is hilarious. "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys is a favorite. 

• Like 7

I also have to add that I'm gaining more and more appreciation for the sound of a violin or cello. Used to just associate those with classical/orchestral music, but namely the musicians posting covers on YouTube have changed that.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Corsair said:

As a kid in the 80s I didn't care for the majority of what was on the radio, so I took refuge in Oldies 104.3, which at the time played a lot of 50s stuff and set a lifelong trend. Although the 90s Alternative era was the only time my personal tastes coincided with the popular tastes, and I maintain a strong fondness there, as well as the 90s industrial music such as KMFDM, and the stuff that used to be played on Zoltar's Industrial Zone on Q101,it is to the era between 1950-79 that I find myself returning to in some form or another. Recently (the last few years) I've been delving more into the Country/Western Swing end, especially where the difference between it and Rockabilly disappears. 90s country, while I have positive memory associations with it, doesn't quite hit the same as say Eddie Noack, Sanford Clark, and Johnny Horton to name a few. The modern stuff I haven't paid any attention to.

Another radio show which had a long term effect on me was Alan Stagg's Sanctuary which was a recreation of the late 60s type of content in the "FM wasteland", and it could get trippy at times. Used to air from 10pm to 5am, and I would drive aimlessly through the cornfields and rural countryside all night with it blaring. (it's also thanks to this show that I try and surround my windows with windchimes.) Some of the recent "stoner/desert/space rock" like Black Sky Giant scratches this itch. Orange Goblin, Plant Cruiser, Bantha Rider, I've got a youtube playlist of this kind of stuff. Although the closest thing I've yet found to the "vibe" of Sanctuary is the album "Lucid Satnik Distortions" by Hippie Revolt. (needs more windchimes though)

But at the end of the day it is to the 50s I return, whether because it found me first, or perhaps due to my past life falling in that time I don't know, it resonates all the same.

As to getting strange looks when I mention it, not really. 

• Like 7

On 1/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, Corsair said:

Anything with a strong female vocal. So Annie Lennox, Heather Small, Alison Moyet etc.

• Like 8