Getting to know you, January 2022

Corsair

On 1/8/2022 at 12:28 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 8 & 9 January 2022

8: What is your favorite music genre?

9: Do you ever get a strange look when you say what it is?

8: I listen to a variety of genres, but here for the last month or so I've been listening to a lot of pop punk. That said, if it has guitars and the singer is singing rather than screaming, there's a decent chance I can listen to it.

9: No.  It was a popular genre from 1994-2009 and it has gotten popular again here in the last few years.

• Like 7

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, Corsair said:

8: it’s easier to ask what genres I don’t like, which would be most country and most rap/hip hop. My playlist with my favorite music has Enya, Green Day, traveling wilburys, Beethoven, Madonna,  cowboy junkies, Coldplay, Nightwish, etc. etc., just to name a few. 

Around here not liking country music is actually about the worse thing ever, even including being liberal with politics. So, yeah, I get some looks when people find out I don’t like it.

• Like 9

On 1/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, Corsair said:

Folk music especially Child Ballads (old fold tunes collected in 1892 to 1898 by Francis James Child

It is usual.  

especially for someone that made their living working on computers.

• Like 8

I listen to most everything. But I probably listen to what could broadly be called "Rock" most frequently. I don't know if I get any strange looks for my taste in music or not. Mainly because by the time you've known me long enough to know what my favorite music is you already have a handful of reasons to give me strange looks.

• Like 7

On 1/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, Corsair said:

I'm all over the place when it comes to music, but I'd probably say either 70s & 80s rock with Pink Floyd being my favorite.

Nah, hell, I generally play my phone in my pocket if our truck is late, so my co-worker hears it as well. I generally put it either on Beetles & Friends or 70s when I'm around him, as he's older but he knows what I listen to.

• Like 8

Well, I don’t know that I’d describe it as a genre, but my music collection is mostly “early”, which is to say medieval and Renaissance.  I used to play recorders and the viola da gamba for fun, but haven’t practiced anything like that lately.  I’ve probably gotten a few strange looks, but that’s sort of business as usual for me.

5 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

As a kid in the 80s I didn't care for the majority of what was on the radio, so I took refuge in Oldies 104.3, which at the time played a lot of 50s stuff and set a lifelong trend. 

You know, when your musical collection is mostly from before 1650, hearing something from the 1950s described as “Oldies” is, hmmm… , let’s go with “incongruous”. 😁

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Well, I don’t know that I’d describe it as a genre, but my music collection is mostly “early”, which is to say medieval and Renaissance.  I used to play recorders and the viola da gamba for fun, but haven’t practiced anything like that lately.  I’ve probably gotten a few strange looks, but that’s sort of business as usual for me.

You know, when your musical collection is mostly from before 1650, hearing something from the 1950s described as “Oldies” is, hmmm… , let’s go with “incongruous”. 😁

I have a recorder but most of my instruments are Tin Whistles. Also have a Button box accordion and a Dulcimer.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 10 January 2022:

When doing your banking, do you prefer On-line, the ATM, Drive-up or to go in?

[and NO, I do Not want your ID!]😁

On-line.
ATM if I actually need cash.
Go in only if its something I can't do with either of those methods.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Depends on what kind of transaction I'm doing. One bank I prefer to go in, but that is not feasible at this time as they have closed their lobby, so Drive thru.

At my main bank, I do 95% online, unless I need to do a deposit, then I'll either hit the ATM, or go in.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Corsair said:

All of the above with a strong dislike of telephone banking (or any other automated telephone system where you can't talk to a person). I do online for shuffling money back and forth to whichever account needs it the most and sometimes depositing cheques. ATMs for getting cash and deposits. In person for any other questions which come up a few times a year.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I like to do it on-line, so I get to play with the little pin-pad thing they sent me.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Depends on what needs doing.  Most deposits are automatic and bills paid online but once in a while I have a check to deposit and I either mail it or drive over there.  For loans, investments, certified checks, etc. we always go in the lobby to speak with a banker. 

• Like 9