Getting to know you, January 2022

Corsair

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 12 January 2022

Coffee, tea, juice or milk, what is by your breakfast plate?

It tends to be whatever's at hand at the moment (This morning it's orange soda).

If it's a cooked breakfast though I do tend to make a cup of tea to go with it.

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 13 January 2022:

Seeing as this is the 13th, are you superstitious? [even just fun stuff for grins]

I don't think I am.

• Like 9

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Seeing as this is the 13th, are you superstitious? [even just fun stuff for grins]

Not generally, no.

On the other hand, I also don't go out of my way to try to disprove the superstition, either. Y'know, just in case.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

When I had a number for the sports teams I was on it was usually 13.  Just a reverse superstition but that is still a superstition,

• Like 11

Not superstitious, just slightlystitious...

Having said that I would never walk under a black cat.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Haha 13

Seeing as this 13th is payday, and I should have a D&D game this evening, and I don't feel any nervousness about it... I'm good.

I'm not superstitious. I'm aware of the "pattern recognition" effects, and how people love to interpret vague things into the best/worst conclusion.

• I've broken mirrors in the past with no change in luck.
  • I avoid walking under ladders, because of common sense of disliking stuff dropping on my head.
  • I love black cats 🐱. It's the prettiest colour.
  • Sometimes I do open umbrellas indoors for quicker drying.

Sometimes, strange habits kick in. Like always rolling the same dice, or rolling them a certain way. Statistically, it changes nothing, but it "feels" better.

• Like 11

On 1/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 8 & 9 January 2022

8: What is your favorite music genre?

9: Do you ever get a strange look when you say what it is?

Metal, good heavy, growly metal that you can throw yourself into a mosh pit to, though I admit to becoming too delicate for that part of the activity now...  And yes, people don't seem to expect it...  Working in an environment of suits and ties means things like heavy metal or mini painting usually lead to some raised eyebrows and the "Really?  You?" reaction. 

On 1/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 10 January 2022:

When doing your banking, do you prefer On-line, the ATM, Drive-up or to go in?

[and NO, I do Not want your ID!]😁

ATM inside if I can.  I find drive-up anything to be horribly lazy.  Even when I park my car, I tend to park far away from whatever entrance to a building as I'm sure there's someone who needs a closer spot more than I do. 

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

Coffee (double americano with just a splash of skimmed milk) every day... followed by another Americano a little later in the morning... speaking of which, I can see the bottom of my cup...

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Not really.  Enough good and bad stuff happens, no need to look for weird reasons for it.  Accept the good, deal with the bad.  :winkthumbs:

• Like 10

I'm not really superstitious, at least outside of gaming.  

In live person gaming I'll curse my bad rolling dice and put them in time out. In SW Legion I dread the Turn 4 swing in dice luck....

• Like 10

I don't think of myself as superstitious, but my dad is and I've picked up several of his superstitious habits. For instance I always knock on wood if I or my wife says anything that could "jinx" us. I also don't feel comfortable with umbrellas being open in the house and have to give someone a penny if they gift me a knife. I mean, I know it's all in my head. But it's been in there long enough that not doing these things seems awkward.

Also, a little story about old superstitions and where they come from. When my Great Uncle turned 100 back in the 1980's a guy from the farm bureau came around and wanted to interview him about old farm superstitions and wive's tales to put in the bureau's magazine they use to produce (back when such things still existed). He told me later that he couldn't quite remember any of the stuff he grew up with so he just made up a bunch of nonsense. They ended up printing his blabber and no one knew the difference. He was pretty proud of that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Not really.  13 is one of my "lucky" numbers.  It's a number I've always liked.  I probably have a few habits some would potentially consider superstitious but no idea what they could be. 

I used to playfully buy a lottery ticket on days I kept "getting lucky" with stale green lights on the road, usually playfully saying it was "to reset my luck" but at the same time usually LottoMax was 50+ million, so we all know the real reason those tickets were bought! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

MUSIC GENRE:

”I LiKe aLl KiNdS oF mUsIc”

It’s true, I do. But left to my own devices I tend to default to:

1. Riot Grrl and 70’s/80’s punk for when I’m annoyed with work or enjoying a workout

2. 90’s-to-present pop for when I’m just looking for something to fill my ears or sing along to in the kitchen

3. folk-rock for when I just want to listen

I also have a turntable and a decent collection of 50’s through 70’s pop and rock records in the craft room (always with a dust cover and never during airbrush use). It enforces get-up-and-stretch breaks while painting.

BREAKFAST DRINK

I drink so much tea, y’all.

usually black tea in the morning, my go-to right now is a heavy black tea with hazelnut, it tastes almost like coffee and has a bunch of caffeine.

During the rest of the day, I often drink a peach iced tea, and I have a variety of teas for different moods. If you see me with a Yeti tumbler, it’s 99% likely it contains tea of some kind.

SUPERSTITIONS

I work in theater, so I am surrounded by constant ritual, superstition and prayer.

1. every theater has a ghost. I believe this, and I believe in “ghosts” in the sense that intense human drama leaves a residue. Not “ooOooOOOHHhh I’m literally the spirit of a dead person” ghosts so much as the manifestation of the weight of human expectation and experience, and theaters are places where that weight pools and concentrates enough to be clearly and frequently noticed. And artists (as all theater folk are) tend to create narrative, so these manifestations take on personalities and gain stories, which lends them even more weight.

2. Shakespeare’s “Macbeth” is cursed. I don’t buy it. BUT I do believe in the power of suggestion, and I’ve seen enough people lose their minds because someone said it might rain and another actor replied “let it come down” that I respect the idea of the curse. 
3. Don’t whistle in a theater. I love this superstition because I love its origin, but I don’t really believe in it. But again, I respect the power of suggestion and I won’t whistle, especially in older theaters with fly systems where the origins might actually matter. This one comes from the idea that theaters used to hire out-of-work sailors to handle the fly systems, because sailors already understood ropes and rigging. And sailors communicated via whistling to each other, so if you whistle on stage, the ghost of a sailor might misunderstand and drop a sandbag on your head. There’s a decent amount of bunk in the general historical concept, and in the US the likelihood that a mast-and-rigging sailor accustomed to the bosun’s whistle ever worked in any given theater (much less with other sailors) decreases dramatically with every mile you go west…but some folks still get nuts about whistling in a theater, so…I don’t.

4. I could go on, but those are my favorites.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

My best friend was born on Friday the 13th so for him it was a good day. I'm not really superstitious but there's enough things we don't understand that I try not to mock others. Almost everybody I know has stories about some sort of sixth sense that saved them from a disaster. Not into rituals but do believe in luck, both good and bad.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Corsair said:

18 hours ago, TGP said:

On a perfect day, in a perfect world, three out of those four. 

(Coffee, Milk, OJ)

breakfast-with-scrambled-eggs-and-bacon-

Just needs a glass of milk next to that butter dish. It is surprisingly hard to find a picture with all three. So far, achievement remains locked. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

When I had a number for the sports teams I was on it was usually 13.  Just a reverse superstition but that is still a superstition,

Worked for Wilt Chamberlain!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

[checks calendar] It is the 13th, hmn.  Our furnace went out earlier this week, so I'm sure there's no connection.  Not really superstitious, but not into pushing my luck either.  As the old saying goes, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.   I believe things are more likely to go wrong when you aren't prepared.  IE: forgot cell phone, that's the day something happens to the car and you're stuck for hours trying to get help.  Didn't pack granola bars in the carry on, that's the flight that get's delayed 12 hours, etc. 

• Like 11