Corsair

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Emergency Substitute Question—

20 January 2022:

Ever go into the kitchen, and find yourself unable to decide what to fix, because there are too many choices?

Edited by TGP
Too many versions of the word two to pick from, argh.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Ever go into the kitchen, and find yourself unable to decide what to fix, because there are two many choices?

Yes, occasionally. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Ever go into the kitchen, and find yourself unable to decide what to fix, because there are two many choices?

Not really.  More typically that sort of situation takes the form of "I don't want to spend the time making any of this."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Ever go into the kitchen, and find yourself unable to decide what to fix, because there are too many choices?

Thanks for covering! Don't know what happened, but it didn't post, so at least I have tomorrow ready! And yes, our kitchen can be quite confusing.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Daily

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Nope.  I usually want a snack and all we have are things that require 20+ mins of cooking usually.  Working on fixing this... 

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Not really. We plan our meals out in advance and usually only buy what we need for them. And then we keep a couple of really easy meal options in the pantry for the nights where we're exhausted and don't feel like doing much work. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

...I'm married.  I don't get to choose what to fix for dinner.  I eat what is put on my plate with no complaints, because I like being married!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Not really, my dilemma normally occurs at the market, trying to decide on a menu for the week. Once it's home, it's easy.

The main reason it's a dilemma at the store is that at the supermarkets around here, availability of /quality/ cuts of meat can be sketchy. So I can't decide on a menu for the week until I see what is in stock, quality, and cut properly. I miss the days when markets had proper butchers, you can't hire some unskilled hourly schlub to do a skilled career job. Well, I guess they can, since they do, and we're all the poorer for it.

Anyway, my MO is to break down the week (some nights are quick meal, some are leftovers, some are favorites like pizza night) and then spend far too long poring over the meat bunkers trying to find a fresh, quality cut that has actually been properly cut. Some nights I despair of finding a single package of any meat at all that qualifies and we end up doing pantry meals or frozen. Sad.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

For meals, not very often. We usually have a plan of some sort.
For snacks on the other hand, yes., often. Although it is usually "I have these 10 things I could have, but I'm craving X, which is not one of those 10 things."

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Being in charge of my own cooking, it's rarely a problem. If I'm already hungry, I'll take whatever is the quickest to prepare.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Yes, I'm fortunate enough to have a well stocked freezer and pantry with many options for meals.  I use a calendar page to meal plan week by week, and DH helps me make choices sometimes too.  I also stock the freezer with things like chili, soup, and taco filling which are easy to reheat when we are short on time or energy. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TGP said:

20 January 2022:

Not really.  I grocery shop every week and don't overstock food.

• Like 9