Getting to know you, January 2022

Corsair

21 hours ago, redambrosia said:

It would have been really cool to get that napoleonic teddy bear army, but eh. No idea what I’d ever do with it (aside from painting it).

I was going to suggest Ganesha Games A Song of Fur and Buttons, but on closer inspection I see that it was built around the British Colonial teddy bears instead of the Napoleonic ones. 🙄  We did have one guy in the club (since moved away) who had Eureka teddy bear armies with which he ran kids’ games at the historical conventions.  I don’t have any pictures, though.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:05 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 21 January 2022

Is there a mini you never did acquire that you wish you had?

Not really.  With some diligent auction site work, I pretty much have anything now that I had ever specifically wanted.  The problem at my house is miniatures that I did acquite that I wish I never had …

• Like 9

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 22 &23 January 2022

23: What beverage do you want when it's freezing cold out?

24: What memory from childhood still makes you feel warm?

My beverage of choice for cold weather is black coffee...it's my beverage of choice in hot weather as well.

I don't seem to have any heat related memories from my misspent youth. That is just another indication that it was misspent.

• Like 10

22: It depends. Quite probably the answer is still going to be cold water ( what I drink most of the time ), especially if I was out working ( shoveling ) in it. If I'm out in it for a REALLY long time, then it switches to coffee or hot chocolate. If I'm not out in the weather then it's water.

23: Hard to say, I've got a fair amount of pleasant memories that could make the grade. Probably something with pets, though.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 9

I see you've seen our thermometers today (below -30C when I got up). So this is not speculative guesses, it's my daily routine.

Generally coffee. If I don't want as much caffeine. Tea. If it's late in the day. Herbal tea or hot chocolate.

Ever since I got my new stainless steel vacuum thermos, those beverages will keep me warm for far longer.

• Memories of me with a new LEGO set at Christmas.
  • Watching TV or movies in the basement where we had our wood stove.
  • Sitting in a sunny spot in the living room in winter, when the low sun would send it's warm rays on me.
  • Family brunches.
  • Doing yardwork with my dad in late November to put up all our winter fences (we had over 70m/200 feet of ceder hedges surrounding the house). It may have been cold outside, but we dressed properly and were physically active, so (despite cold exposed fingers), we were warm.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

A) Good strong hot tea.

B) Watching my father sculpt amazingly intricate sand-castles.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

23:  Easy!  If I've been outside in the cold for a while, hot cocoa with a little schnapps mixed in!

24:  Swimming in the Lewis River in the summertime, at my grandmother's house. She lived only a 10 minute walk from the river, and the area was still very rural.  I spent most of my summers there, swimming nearly every day.  When I think of warm, I think of the stoney banks of that river in the summertime.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Tea, tea, and more tea.  Unless it's after 3 or 4pm then hot cocoa. 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

23: Oddly, I'll drink something cold. I've never been a hot beverage drinker.

24: I remember my electric blankets back when I was in the 5th or 6th grade that I'd leave on (spaced turning them off...) & when I'd climb back into bed that night, they'd be nice & toasty!! Also, oddly whenever I smell wood smoke it reminds me of scale modeling. There was a place I went to when I was young child, I remember the smell of a wood stove burning & they had models & paints on a table, thus I've tied the two together ever since. Odd combo, but it is what it is.

• Like 10

On 1/21/2022 at 1:05 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 21 January 2022

Is there a mini you never did acquire that you wish you had?

All my minis are painted with tears of regret, it helps thin the paint.

I do regret not buying the GW Tomb Kings stuff, it sells for stupidly high prices on the secondary market. There are lots of knock offs on Etsy, and many of them are quite nice. I also regret not buying more from Dark Fable Miniatures before the original owner passed away from cancer. The line has been acquired by Dragon Bait, which our own @TaleSpinner sculpts for, so it is possible to buy the minis still. DFM was great though, the owner had periodic sales and once threw a free basilisk in my order! I do regret not buying in to the Bones 4 kickstarter, but I didn't really understand kickstarters back then. (I more than made up for it with 5.) Due to astronomical rises in shipping, I'm more likely to make giant orders these days, so I'm looking at Bones 6 with baited breath. GW is periodically re-releasing its LotR OOPs, so that makes me really happy. They are also planning to re-release Cursed City--take that, scalpers! I never got one the first time, but some people seem to have gotten 200 copies--to sell piecemeal. Also, I wish Reaper would re-release some of the licenced stuff that is OOP, like the Exalted line and especially the L5R line. I'm sad I missed those. Will they make you something from OOP lines at RCon if you ask nicely?

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

23: Canada Dry Cranberry Ginger Ale. It's seasonal, so buy a case or 2. 

24: Oh, so many of them. I will tell you about our fat spaniel mix, Freckles, who used to get on the school bus at the farm every morning. He would get on and go all the way to the back, get pets from all the children, turn around, and get off again. Some of the bus drivers hated it, and they tried to hold him back, but he would just wiggle and wag, so we all told the driver that he would just do his thing and get off. He was a farm dog and never had a collar. He got on the bus with my sister on her first day of school and got off with me on my last. He lived to be 13.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Will they make you something from OOP lines at RCon if you ask nicely?

No.

They no longer have the license to create those figures, so doing so would cause a whole mess of legal troubles. I don't even know if they have the molds anymore.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

A can of Coke, in a koozie to keep my hand from freezing like the outside.

17 hours ago, Corsair said:

Hmmm... possibly dressing up in the yellow Care Bear costume that my mom made for Halloween when I was in kindergarten.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 22 & 23 January 2022

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

Does this question extend through Monday?

The 24th is Monday. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3