Getting to know you, January 2022

Corsair

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 31 January 2022

When you were a kid starting the new school year, what was your favorite new thing to take to school?

And @haldir steps up for February, our newest Quizzitor!

Having a new 4-colour pen was all important, of course. All the while wistfully looking at the giant versions that other kids had that I couldn't find or afford.

image.png.35b8287ac5e9793b04fb26d5f5c1b428.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/28/2022 at 12:39 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 28 January 2022?

What is your pet's favorite treat?

Molly loves apples and carrots (anytime you are slicing them she'll come sit next to you, with hopeful eyes), and Dixie loves Doritos, though she can't have them anymore as they upset her stomach (we've switched her off 95% of the human food people used to give her for that reason). No matter what I am eating I always have an audience.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:39 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 29 & 30 January 2022?

29: What's the last movie you watched?

30: What were your munchies with it?

Actual movie, in one sitting from start to finish... um, I think it was Red Notice? The Rock/Ryan Reynolds/Gal Gadot movie on Netflix.

I believe I ate peanut m&m's and a can of Coke. And some soft-batch chocolate chip cookies.

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

When you were a kid starting the new school year, what was your favorite new thing to take to school?

I can't even remember that. Maybe it was new shoes or a new binder, in early grades. I think in 5th grade Trapper-Keeper binders were all the rage, though the teachers hated them due to the sound of velcro ripping open from 25+ students all the time.

Thanks for the month of questions!

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Having a new 4-colour pen was all important, of course. All the while wistfully looking at the giant versions that other kids had that I couldn't find or afford.

image.png.35b8287ac5e9793b04fb26d5f5c1b428.png

Oh, I loved those Bic 4 color pens at the time.  All my early D&D work was done in them, for example:

95473355-57D5-4DC1-8FF5-104EA6E6DCD4.jpeg.d0d6fd60c90356e8207324e7996b5ec5.jpeg

(That one has no red; later I switched my drawing convention so that room numbers were in red.)

But, with reference to the original question, I didn’t get new pens at the beginning of the school year, but either at Christmas or when they ran out of ink.

These days, I’ve _almost_ gone back to theat, except that I use these Jetstream 4 color fine point pens which also have a 0.5mm mechanical pencil included. 😀

• Like 9

I had a circular slide rule one year.  That was the most unique thing to take to school.

• Like 11

New spiral bound notebooks. They’re still my favorite thing to purchase at back to school time (I have a stack of yet to be used notebooks).

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

New sneakers.  Was never allowed to wear them until the first day.
Usually had them wrecked by the nd of the first week....

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Now there's something I never thought about.

Fresh notebooks always looked nice. Crisp clean pages awaiting a fountain of knowledge (and tons of scribbled stick figures, dinosaurs, spaceships, etc. bordering every page).

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Someday I'll be able to be Quiz Master. I've collected 23 of the questions. 

I remember the year I got a ton of Jurassic Park themed school supplies. I had the backpack, lunch kit, pencils, eraser... it was a happy time. When I got older, I always liked getting mechanical pencils. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

I can't recall anything special.  We didn't use a lot of "stuff" when I was in grade school, just books (issued by the school) pencils, paper...)  I didn't have a lunch box or backpack.   I remember that having a good pencil sharpener and those erasers that went over the end of the pencil was nice.  I liked having new book covers, my mom always used brown paper bags and I would draw all over them. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

New spiral bound notebooks. They’re still my favorite thing to purchase at back to school time (I have a stack of yet to be used notebooks).

As a left-hander in a right-handed world, those things were torture on my hand after taking days worth of notes. And the notebooks with spirals at the top were always more expensive or wide-ruled (I liked college-ruled spacing). I finally switched to legal pads in college, plus the yellow paper helped finding graded homework and retrieving from the pile easier.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Someday I'll be able to be Quiz Master. I've collected 23 of the questions. 

I remember the year I got a ton of Jurassic Park themed school supplies. I had the backpack, lunch kit, pencils, eraser... it was a happy time. When I got older, I always liked getting mechanical pencils. 

We have you now...MWAHAHAHA!

• Haha 8