Getting to know you, January 2022

Corsair

14 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 6 January, 2022

What is your favorite outdoor activity, and is it seasonally affected?

Simply going on a walk in the neighbourhood while listening to the radio works for me.

With my poor blood circulation, the cold weather of winter time ruins it for me. Let alone, some of the poorly cleared sidewalks and narrower streets already make it riskier than any other time of the year.

• Like 10

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Our outdoor activities are less seasonally affected and more mosquito-infestation affected.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Just walking/hiking in the woods/nature. (Basically, anything where there aren't a lot of people)

Yes, this is seasonally affected; spring and fall are the best times, since it's not too hot/cold yet.

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, Corsair said:

A WHAT? What is this out of doors activity you speak of ????

I have not been outside in so very, very, long….

I suppose it is taking pictures.

IMG_0070.thumb.JPG.33d1c83a783a318810b6dd5de999bcf9.JPG

This was way back on page 54 of my Existing Attachments list. The rose bush responsible lives on as far as I know.

Found on the same page: Ginger Kitty stalking things in my backyard. I'm none too sure if Kitty lives though, I've not seen him since snapping this picture.

IMG_1026.thumb.JPG.a16e99cead3c7c2fbc8ac1b08af395bf.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Walking.  I try to walk at least an hour a day, longer on weekends, recently even jogging short distances.  I know most of the surrounding neighborhoods in a 4 mile radius as a result.

I'd like to think it's not seasonally affected, but when the rain is freezing cold, those walks get very abbreviated...

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Hiking in wild places. It's not really affected by the season. I can hike on ice and snow just as easily as hiking in streams or on dirt, especially since I recently bought all new cold weather gear. But I do go out less because I think cold weather sucks. Give me pouring rains, gale force winds, days where it feels like mother nature turned the outdoor temp to broil and toss me outside and I'm perfectly happy. But the older I get the more I dislike being out in the cold. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Bicycling, so, yes, I don’t do it much in the winter…

I would note, by the way, that I used to bike in some pretty cold weather, but I’m not sure that all of my technical warm gear fits my current weight. 🙄 Or that it hasn’t lost elasticity etc.  So, I could theoretically get behind doing more as long as we aren’t looking at black ice conditions, but it would require a serious shopping excursion before I could try.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Driving to the pizza place. The seasonal effect is in the Winter the car stays running while son Matt runs in for our order.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

I'm not sure if I have a favorite, tbh. When the weather is warmer, I do like going outside & doing prep work on models at my outdoor table. I enjoyed it even more when the squirrels would come visit the yard & Thumper was outside, enjoying the day, thou. Whatever it is, it is affected by the seasons. I'm not much of doing things outside in the winter, even thou it does get rid of the bugs that are out when it's warmer.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

My favorite outdoor activity now is Disc Golf.  It is seasonally affected by the people I Disc Golf with stop for the season in November.  I disc Golf year round.  Before this I Boomeranged but the person I did this with retired because he moved and it was 90 minutes one way to get to the field we threw at.  Before that we would throw every Sunday no matter the weather.  

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Going to the beach.  It's generally more pleasant during the warmer months, but there is a certain raw beauty in the winter with frozen surf, empty sand, and leaden skies. 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

I'd probably argue for astrophotography, which definitely is affected by the seasons.  Not only for what you can see and image, but also how much actual night there is.  Winter is great!  So many awesome things to photograph, tons of hours to do it in...  Just worry about either the cold, or the clouds.  Clouds are a year 'round thing though... 

5 hours ago, malefactus said:

Driving to the pizza place. The seasonal effect is in the Winter the car stays running while son Matt runs in for our order.

Seems about right.  Parents bragged they had an automatic car starter in their vehicle long before it became popular to add to vehicles, except instead of electricity theirs was powered by the promise of a hot chocolate and Tim Horton's donut (their donuts didn't suck back then)... 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Hiking - at my activity level really it's walking. Being in California, the seasons don't affect it much, just gets wet and muddy occasionally in winter

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

I'm not really an outdoor person, but I do like walking.

It does get harder to get off my bum and get out there when it's cold though.

• Like 10