2022 Painting during the Pandemic (New Year's New Games New Goals)

The new year is upon us. My longer term goals from last year didn't go as well as I hoped.

So this year I am planning my projects with more flexibility.

Hobby goals for 2022

Painting one piece of terrain each month [ 1 so far]

Painting the 17 miniatures in my annual box and finish the two from last year [-2 so far]

Painting  one game token each month [0 so far]

Painting one Mithril miniature each month [0 so far]

Use up my remaining clear acrylic bases, which will give me a reason to order hundreds more

I also want to do some RCL figures. I didnt really get into it last year, but now would be a good time to start

What are people planning on painting for the month of January?

My goals include:

•  Paint this month's terrain piece
  •  Paint this month's game token
  •  Paint this month's Mithril miniature
  •  Panit two figures from the annual box

Once I am done with these I hope to SPEED PAINT some plastic figures from the various sprues of minis I received last year.

buckyball

• Like 9

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, What to set for monthly and yearly goals. Right now I'm working on a few Stargrave minis and I should make a second crew and maybe actually play the game someday. Keep painting more mechs. Last year I said I was going to finish painting my almost 30 year old Warhammer Empire army. I painted 1 unit of Battlemaster archers with metal command figures :blush:. Thinking it's time to start on them again. Other projects on my mind are 3D printing lots of spaceships and WW2 soviets in 1/285 scale.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, buckyball said:

What are people planning on painting for the month of January?

Working on getting terrain ready for the table, both fantasy and sci-fi pieces, and things that can do double duty.  I primed a bunch before it got cold hoping for some face to face gaming, but COVID reared it's ugly head again. 

My plan for '22 is to paint less, paint things I really want to paint, not according to deadlines or contest rules, and get back to enjoying the process and not just cranking out models for the sake of numbers. 

Right now I have a couple metal figures I want to bring up to a higher standard (slowly),  assorted 3d printed scatter terrain, some of the Bones5 terrain sets, a handful of random Bones fantasy figures, and more than a few sci-fi figs from assorted manufacturers that I want to use for Stargrave when we're able to meet safely in-person again.  I primed a ton of stuff before it got really cold, some may not get painted until next year. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

My plan for '22 is to paint less, paint things I really want to paint, not according to deadlines or contest rules, and get back to enjoying the process and not just cranking out models for the sake of numbers. 

I get that.  I am trying to enjoy painting more and worry about productivity less, but the desire for some BIG games always pops back up.  🙄

I don’t have a full plan for the month, but I wanted to get back to something historical (more or less).  So, yesterday I dug out a detachment of 40mm Prince August home cast troops I had set aside for one of my 18th century imaginary countries, and primed them with brush-on primer.

29360DFB-5A1B-427C-9EC5-8261F2DF2250.jpeg.c76f7c75d1ca2e78ea200fc21edbbd14.jpeg

I haven’t started on color yet today, but that’s next.

As for numbers, I updated my painting summary chart with the ‘20 and ‘21 data. 

0372BCDF-E7AD-423E-9F09-765FA82AB610.png.93c7cfe4330753052856f72fef07deea.png

03E86943-31B4-400B-AE59-BC4DF95A3F60.png.2292d560cb4a0b2e2ad9c8270457962d.png

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8

Immediate goals are to work through the minis I've got in the eyeline by the paint station. Dwarves from Midlam Miniatures (I'll mainly use them for Oathmark), some orcs for Oathmark that have sat primed for over a year, a fire giant, and a couple of vampires for Silver Bayonet. 

We then have a potential Stargrave league at the local club and I want to finish a new crew for it rather than keep using the old one. Those are base coated so shouldn't be hard to finish off. 

I have put some minis to one side as 'good for Silver Bayonet' and will work through those. 

I want to round out my Oathmark armies. I want more useful units like artillery, cavalry, light infantry. I have plenty of troops painted already. 

Then I will look at what big projects I can work on. I have been hoarding fantasy minis and need to get an army/warband painted.

The other things i really want to do, for a change, are a team for Zona Alfa and some kind of set up for the French Indian War. 

• Like 11

As predicted in last month's thread, once I went out of town for the holidays that was it for painting.

• Put the finishing touches on Secret Sophie. 
  • Continue to catalogue my 3D files so I know what I actually have. 
  • As mentioned elsewhere I got Rangers of Shadowdeep for Christmas.  I am good on minis (at least good enough to always have a stand in) but since I always gamed at other people's houses I lack terrain. Thus:
    • Continue 3D printing useful scatter.  I may not have a big enough printer to handle a cathedral but I can certainly take care of the smaller stuff.
    • Paint said terrain. 
  • Speaking of terrain, I still have a ton of Dungeons and Lasers to take care of.  I got off to a good start but burned out fighting the craft paints I was using. 
  • Longer term - paint a big GK.  I started prepping several last year and then never painted any of them.
  • Like 10

Yearly goals: 

Write More.  I wrote 30k words and one edit pass,  in Nov/Dec.   I'm not tired of the story or process yet - so lets see how far I can take a novel. 

in will likely reduce painting time, unless I can figure out how be productive later or earlier in the day. 

10+ trio projects for the RCL - this is my fav part of the challenge league,  my trio team is awesome and drives me to do my best just to keep up. 

Nativity Diorama -  all the figures are done, but they need to be mounted into a single scene.  

3 Large Dragons.  

1 bust 

Convert  & paint a winged pig for a friends birthday in January  (on order) 

4+ per month figures from the Bones V Core set. 

Some RCL - but  in a less  obsessive way. 

January Goals 

Convert and paint a flying pig.  

paint 3 goblins from core set (for in-person D&D)

Paint Earth Scion for RCL Trio 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9

I've got a feeling that most of my goals this year will consist of HeroQuest.  After I finish the scenery, there are still 95 monsters and heroes to go.

After I finish the core set scenery (Rack, Weapon Rack, Throne, Wizard's Table, and Alchemist's Table), I plan on starting the Goblins.  But that's if I have hobby time after tomorrow...which I may not.

• Like 9

I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things, although being out of it for over a month due to an injury sure left a whirlwind trail of things to clean up...  So let's go with this for the month... 

- Paint something (sleeping Eevee, sitting Eevee, Queen of Hell, etc) 

- Finish building my Master Grade Sazabi

- Work on the Zaku 1 Sniper conversion

- Get resin printer started, and actually printing something

- Progress on my Voron Trident 300 (at time of writing, waiting on printed parts to arrive) 

- Organize my STL files

• Like 9

So RCL January's minis are as follows:

• Themes - Fresh Start, Good Luck: Enrieth, Female Harefolk Rogue (30012)
  • Limited Palette - blue, green, yellow: Dire Grouper (BV Dk.Dp. | 601)
  • Plasma Blue, Peacock Green, Callistria Yellow
  • Player Character: Garrick the Bold (77008)
  • Monster: Owlbear (BV Dun.Dw. | 301)
  • Duo's: Elanter the Lost Prince (30006)
  • Trio's: Damras Deveril, Wizard (30007)
  • New Release: Gingerbread Knight (30033)
  • Freebie: Pyram the Pincher, d4 (77646)

I've already finished the Limited Palette. I have other things I want to work on this month but not before the duos and trios.

• Like 9

January goals:

Finish Mouslings and Snowman - done

8 zombie walkers - 75% done

18 zombie runners - 25% done

16 zombie walkers

18 zombie fatties

Wrapping all those up soon will get 2022 off to a really fast start. Annual goals will not really be set because life has too much ebb and flow to lock in any sort of detailed planning. Rather than lay out X number of minis per day/week/month, or plan an arbitrary 'project' thing like "All xGAME minis by June", the best approach seems to be to just keep standing up groups of gaming pieces and working on them several times per week. When I can only spare 30 minutes or so, instead of working on groups, put a little something on a single figure, small diorama, or other display piece. In other words, focus on the process and the numbers will take care of themselves.

• Like 6

Yearly Goal for 2022:

Create/paint a core army for my Undead and my Witchunter Armies in my Children of the Night Project.

Paint at least a few units/characters for every project.

Write more background stories for them all.

Monthly Goal January:

Finish my Grandmaster/Witchunter General and his daugthers...

Current state:

20220103_162247.jpg

20220103_162043.jpg

• Like 6

Looking back, I still need to finish up that ship from last year--though tbh I've been putting that off largely because I want to finish a quantity of pirates to go with it. I also have the bitz to turn it into an aether-ship for steampunks (which may need some Chronoscope steampunks for pilot and crew!)
--I'm mostly content with my SPACEFUTURE setting collection; probably won't do too much there unless I see something really spiffy at a great price. Will continue worldbuilding.
--Still collecting early modern minis for ALL OF THEM VVITCHES setting; plan on painting more Dreadmere and Midlam minis with a 17th-century aesthetic.
--Always on the lookout for inexpensive niche pulp or weird west stuff but pretty content there too for now.
--Going to focus on a  nebulously late-20th-century Americana setting suitable for classic Delta Green or Kids on Bikes. Inspirations include but are not limited to Scooby-Doo, Gravity Falls, and that whole pop-cultural overlap of Stephen King and Steven Spielberg (of which Super 8 and Stranger Things are offshoots). This will need lots of Chronoscope and perhaps some model railroad buildings. Already off to a start.

--Need to try to get more use out of sculpting tools and texture rollers. 
--Clear up some of the broccoling elfing backlog on the Shelf of Shame!

• Like 6

On 1/6/2022 at 1:56 AM, Rigel said:

Looking back, I still need to finish up that ship from last year--though tbh I've been putting that off largely because I want to finish a quantity of pirates to go with it. I also have the bitz to turn it into an aether-ship for steampunks (which may need some Chronoscope steampunks for pilot and crew!)

Hell yeah! Lady Sabre & the Pirates of the Ineffable Aether

image.thumb.png.df496d2aa54c910100da612d64a8e3ba.png

buckyball

• Like 5