Jasper Episode MMXXII: A Star Wars Legion WIP III - The Empire Strikes Back!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, so I must have masked the flight stands before, to keep them clear.  Anyway, I forgot this time, and the clouded up.  A coat or two of gloss sealer has them back to a reasonable level.  I'll likely replace them if/when they snap off.  Looking at the figures, it seems inevitable....

Anyway, I'm calling those two done (since they are playing tonight, weather permitting).

I'm trying to get my painting area a bit cleaned up and organized (in theory).  Then I'll be back to doing the 4 remaining STAPs and whatever else I find on my desk......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Hmmm, so I must have masked the flight stands before, to keep them clear.  Anyway, I forgot this time, and the clouded up.  A coat or two of gloss sealer has them back to a reasonable level.  I'll likely replace them if/when they snap off.  Looking at the figures, it seems inevitable....

Anyway, I'm calling those two done (since they are playing tonight, weather permitting).

I'm trying to get my painting area a bit cleaned up and organized (in theory).  Then I'll be back to doing the 4 remaining STAPs and whatever else I find on my desk......

Try some Future floor polish (or whatever it's called these days as it's gone many names changes since I last bought a bottle).

• Like 2

Well, unfortunately, as expected, the STAPs are a bit fragile. Snapped the flight stand off one during the 2nd game tonight when I accidentally caught it with a measurement stick......

So I'll be replacing that one anyway....

Today (well yesterday now) I found the sprues for the remaining until of Droidekas I need to assemble.  Have the normal mode figures almost done (I'll take some pics tomorrow) but still have the ball modes to do.  And found an extra set of Droideka sprues I knew I had too (I'd bought a box of them when I wasn't planning to play and just wanted some Star Wars minis. Then each start came with a unit of them....).

Also found 6 Viper Recon Droids I'd assembled a while ago but haven't painted yet, and that need to be painted before going on flight stands.  Guess I should do them up soon too....

• Like 4

Hmm, been a bit.  I should see if I got those droidekas finished......I assume the are buried on my desk under all the Bolt Action stuff.
So yeah, got a bit distracted with Bolt Action (and Konflikt '47) starting up at the store.

But now AMG has actually released some new stuff for Legion.

Tonight while playing D&D I started working on assembling a few Pykes.

20220711_IMG_0047.JPG.f6acac3b49990b38dbdf03520a3904cd.JPG

They go together pretty nice, although for some reason they didn't include the assembly instructions (for anything) in the Shadow Collective starter set.  A quick google found the instructions online though.  It's good to look as there are a few options for some of them.

Sorry for the below average pic.  My paint and assembly desk is covered with Bolt Action as a friend and I were building arounds for a mega battle on Saturday.  I need to get all the extra minis put away before I can do anything over there.
I expect I'll continue working on the Pykes as time allows over the next few days.  I'm away on vacation for a bit after Thursday so there won't be too much time.  I've considered doing a little assembly while away on vacation.  We'll see if if I take anything or not.....

• Like 9

Well, I took some stuff on vacation to assemble, but no assembly occurred. Heat was a big factor, it was crazy hot for here over my vacation.  4 straight days of standing out marshaling in 30+C with a humidex up around 40C apparently takes a lot out of you.

Back home and still recovering (beyond the heat I did get a "pop" in my left calf again going to pick up a bike (last time was a partial tear) so that is still giving me some grief).

Last night and this morning I finished assembling a full set of Pykes.

20220730_IMG_0085.JPG.a0427553e712c53944068ad1085aa81b.JPG

Figured I'd get them finished first, now it's time to tackle getting my hobby area tidied up to the point where I can actually hobby there at least.

• Like 9

So  cranked through assembling the second unit of Pykes this morning (today was a holiday here).

20220802_IMG_0088.JPG.f162c88be2aee00a2bab71a4f1d284be.JPG

Then tonight D&D consisted of a multi-hour battle, so I had lots of time to put together the first until of Black Sun Enforcers.

20220802_IMG_0089.JPG.c33cc188b01cc7ac33149af2926fac39.JPG

They are big and chunky figs that go together pretty easily.  I wish they had a bit more in the way of alternate options for a couple of the sculpts but they are still really nice models.

• Like 9

20220807_IMG_0097.JPG.519e139e5c9117e7f3cacfc12edb38f5.JPG

Cranked out my second unit of Black Sun Enforcers.  Pretty much identical to the first unit, except the Capo has the alternate head.
Had a bit of time left so got Gar Saxon together too.  Went with the pistol and shield with helmet options.  Shield will get attached permanently later, it blocks too much.

I'll likely pick on a 2nd Gar, so I can have the rifle version too (doesn't matter for game play, but you know.....).
I have two units of Mando super commandos to build, and the new Maul fig.  Hoping to get a game in on Tuesday with these guys (if anyone is available....summer....).

• Like 7

Had some time so worked on getting Maul assembled, and also Rook Kast, who I'd forgotten as also in the Shadow Collective box (she's on the same sprue as Maul).

20220807_IMG_0098.JPG.4b9955f94459934850d00be06e3197aa.JPG

And just before bed I did get one Mando super commando done.

20220807_IMG_0100.JPG.b6c973f0e5dfe18c12fd5a04993d9b92.JPG

Neat pose!  He also has a smooth helmet option and a rifle arm set.  Since they provide 2 identical sprues with 3 Mandos per, I'll use the other options on the the other sprue.

• Like 8

Got that unit of Mandos finished during and after D&D tonight.

20220808_IMG_0103.JPG.3000971b28e00ab87f0dbdfe8f8c479f.JPG

They are a little more delicate and fiddily that the others.

There is still a left arm for the 3rd guy from the left  under my desk somewhere.  Luckily with 2 sprues and alternate parts, there is usually a spare on the other sprue.

That should be enough to build a list for tomorrow. Hopefully I will have someone to play against.  Attendance has been pretty thin with all the summer stuff going on.

• Like 7

So, first real hobbying post back surgery. Chose to assemble my last unit of B2s.  They are only a few pieces each, and no tiny bits.

20221124_IMG_0475.JPG.f637f6a4a3334f5c2dda6efcdc7f39fe.JPG

Took me two sessions to do them.  I can currently do about 1.5 hours at the desk with my back brace on before everything starts to get tired and achy.
I'll hopefully get some more assembly done this week, and maybe next week or so get into some painting.  We'll see.

• Like 8

These took a couple of days, probably 5-6 sessions.

20221126_IMG_0483.JPG.de46a947c3c04c15ac05c40d9a4708ca.JPG

Another unit of Pykes and and another copy of the original sculpt for Boba Fett (there is a new, more mature Boba coming out sometime in the near future (12/16 according to the Asmodee website).

The Pykes are a little more fiddly to assemble than the B2s were.  And Boba is the old plastic, so have to use all super glue.

I'm waiting on some new binders to finish organizing my Legion cards, so can't get to my paint area until that is all moved.  So will likely do some more assembly.  Maybe some swoop bikes.....

• Like 8