Reaper's Role in 3d Printing?

So what do you think Reaper will be doing with 3d Printing?

1. Their own 3d Printer.  Similar to the Vex Airbrush, not necessarily their own thing but their own brand from a trusted source.  Same with Resin.

2. Old Models Taken Out of Physical Circulation and Made into stls.  There are several companies that currently offer the scanning service.  It would be a good way to test the market and allow the physical means of retention to receed a little.  How many retailers are carrying the whole line of stock anyway?

3. 3d Primters/Paints.  Some self-leveling bits that may already exist or be useful under the current lines.

3. Patreon:  I don't see this one too likely as it might interfer with their Bones Kickstarters but if tied into #2 could be possible.

• Like 1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Administrators
1 hour ago, JoeGKushner said:

1. Their own 3d Printer.  Similar to the Vex Airbrush, not necessarily their own thing but their own brand from a trusted source.  Same with Resin.

I give this about a 1% chance of happening. 😛

2. Old Models Taken Out of Physical Circulation and Made into stls.  There are several companies that currently offer the scanning service.  It would be a good way to test the market and allow the physical means of retention to receed a little.  How many retailers are carrying the whole line of stock anyway?

I can see this happening, if and when we get into STL's. 

1 hour ago, JoeGKushner said:

3. Patreon:  I don't see this one too likely as it might interfer with their Bones Kickstarters but if tied into #2 could be possible.

unlikely, we would just sell them on our website under another section. 🙂

The topic has been thrown around for years. But it just isn't the right direction for us at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

STLs of old OOP miniatures would be great, and it would certainly take care of the issue of having to keep a bunch of slow-selling inventory around.

It would not be completely straightforward though; even the output from very high-end 3d scanners will need extensive massaging to be suitable for home 3d printing. It's the sort of thing that wouldn't be a huge additional burden on the design process for new minis, but there are a lot of older figures that would need to be done, and even if a 3d designer could get through three or four a day (very optimistically) that's an enormous workload.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MojoBob said:

STLs of old OOP miniatures would be great, and it would certainly take care of the issue of having to keep a bunch of slow-selling inventory around.

Reaper doesn't keep slow selling inventory around.  The metal figures are cast to order, for the most part.  Some stock for daily business is kept on hand. They re-order plastic models based on what is selling best.   Likewise, they mix and bottle paint based on demand.  It's not sitting around in the warehouse going dry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One remaining possibility is Reaper 3D Printing On Demand for out of distribution minis. Having five or six printers to dash off OP minis.

Sophie's Revenge might be an expensive example.

The Bones Weapon packs that were too big for the packaging is another.

Not likely, but I think Impact does that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3D Printed Kaladrax?   

Actually, Reaper could use 3D printing to create parts for specific minis that can't be cast or injection molded...   

Honestly, there are so many manufacturing options today that Reaper could use to enhance their minis. Take the wings of an angel, or Sophie, the friendly neighborhood succubus...

The wings are TOO THICK. But it's possible to STAMP metal.  

(The same goes for just about any cape, really)

Or, for the super exclusive 'Master Series Retooled', you could also have them precision machined. 

A POSEABLE Wyrmgear!   

• Like 3

Reaper has little to gain from offering STLs. They have great sculpts, but pretty much all of their models have 3d printable alternatives already. There are several 3d printable pirate ships and mechanical dragons on MMF alone. Reapers current niche is affordable minis made in the USA, which is pretty good considering the problems with international shipping.

• Like 4

I love Reaper minis, I also love to print minis.

I'm from the Netherlands, International shipping is both slow and expensive these days, as a result I'm finding myself buying less physical stuff and more 3D files.

I would welcome it if Reaper would create some STL's.

Yes there are alternatives out there but I rather buy a huge dragon in a file and skip the shipping costs, another benefit is storage.

Print and paint, as long as you don't want to paint it rightaway it will save room.

And Reaper does have some great sculptors, translating some of their work in STL would be cool.

Maybe for very special items like the superbig monsters or terrain?

Of course one needs to be careful of piracy and reselling, which is quite easy with 3D files.

So I can understand if a company doesn't.

I can see it as an extra service for certain minis, not as a replacement for the current thing.

My cabinets are full of unpainted minis and a lot of those are from Reaper, and my HD is full of files...

Keep on doing what you do Reaper, you people will know what is best for your business.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, Reaper_Jon said:

unlikely, we would just sell them on our website under another section. 🙂

The topic has been thrown around for years. But it just isn't the right direction for us at the moment. 

Having stls in the store at a reasonable price instead of using patreon or similar subscriptions would definitely make Reaper stand out from others sources at the moment.

• Like 2

TBH, the price per figure for STLs isn't that terrible (if we ignore CGTrader), $2-$5 seems to be about the price range I'm seeing for PC size characters, some larger and more impressive monsters can be more and on MMF

It does seem that a lot of designers are pricing for sales, but MMF in particular gives out those discount codes like candy, so you have to price a little high and expect people to take the 50% off.  

but, say $5 for an STL and about $0.50 worth of resin, plus a little time, and even allowing for wear and tear on the machine and other consumables, I'm still well under $10 for a mini, which seems to be the going rate for metal or resin 28-32mm miniatures.  

The subscription services are skewing the perceived value quite a bit by offering bat broccoli crazy discounts for the bundle in return for the subscription.  Let's be honest, of those 50 or so minis Epic gives you each month, how many would you have even bought if they weren't bundled?  They get away with it because they have a few hundred people who all keep saying "I'm keeping it because it's such a great deal!"

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, Cygnwulf said:

TBH, the price per figure for STLs isn't that terrible (if we ignore CGTrader), $2-$5 seems to be about the price range I'm seeing for PC size characters, some larger and more impressive monsters can be more and on MMF

It does seem that a lot of designers are pricing for sales, but MMF in particular gives out those discount codes like candy, so you have to price a little high and expect people to take the 50% off.  

but, say $5 for an STL and about $0.50 worth of resin, plus a little time, and even allowing for wear and tear on the machine and other consumables, I'm still well under $10 for a mini, which seems to be the going rate for metal or resin 28-32mm miniatures.  

The subscription services are skewing the perceived value quite a bit by offering bat broccoli crazy discounts for the bundle in return for the subscription.  Let's be honest, of those 50 or so minis Epic gives you each month, how many would you have even bought if they weren't bundled?  They get away with it because they have a few hundred people who all keep saying "I'm keeping it because it's such a great deal!"

To be fair though, if you ask yourself how many of them you would have bought and the answer is at least 2-3 small or one large for that month it actually is a good-great deal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cmorse said:

To be fair though, if you ask yourself how many of them you would have bought and the answer is at least 2-3 small or one large for that month it actually is a good-great deal.

very true. looking back over last year, where I went heavy into STL kickstarters and patreons though, I have whole months of several patreons I've never even printed, and even more that I've never got around to painting and I still had more coming in, I've cut mine way back.  I still add one here and there for a month but I've had to train myself that just because it such a good deal doesn't mean I'd even use what's in it to begin with.  that coupled with the number of things I actually want that I missed the one month it was part of the patreon pack has got me being more conservative about what I stockpile.  Admittedly, the fact that the majority are now using MMF, itch, or gumroad for permeant file access makes it even more tempting to pick back up some of the ones i've dropped....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

very true. looking back over last year, where I went heavy into STL kickstarters and patreons though, I have whole months of several patreons I've never even printed, and even more that I've never got around to painting and I still had more coming in, I've cut mine way back.  I still add one here and there for a month but I've had to train myself that just because it such a good deal doesn't mean I'd even use what's in it to begin with.  that coupled with the number of things I actually want that I missed the one month it was part of the patreon pack has got me being more conservative about what I stockpile.  Admittedly, the fact that the majority are now using MMF, itch, or gumroad for permeant file access makes it even more tempting to pick back up some of the ones i've dropped....

We both GM, so our getting a wide assortment of minis works for us, even if we don't need them, RIGHT NOW.

Epic is a.good example. We are not buying miniatures, we are buying a library.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

We are not buying miniatures, we are buying a library.

I am pretty sure you just perfectly summed up the miniature collecting hobby, whether physical or digital. I'm going to start calling my basement the Figure Library. :lol:

• Haha 6

i think there's more complex calculations of cost involved in reaper thinking about 3d printing.  They've sculptors who they pay to create the minis (imho, why they look better than STLs out there).  What they can afford to pay their sculptor, what they need to support sales and distribution and many other costs not listed here all need to be covered by the price.  There isn't a mechanism to enforce "home use only" or "distribution rights" outside of the legal system.  This also opens up a whole bag on international IP law that would need to be done right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1