Name that antique mini (AKA what is this lump-o-lead)

Fencig

ok, one more i Probably won't win, the giant in the lower right? Obviously missing a weapon or something in right hand. Looks a lot like RP stone giant but not quite right

I do like the large Minotaur above him, Ral Partha?

1635366634_mysterygiant.JPG.14478543813eee6b62536ac04ecc5c74.JPG

• Like 3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Won this,  Classic RP Eleven War Chariot. Missing the Elves, the standard on pole, and one wheel.

Try and find/buy missing pieces or turn it into a battlefield scene with dead horses, dead elves, Dead Orc's? 🤨

470659593_ElvenWarCharriot.thumb.jpg.7cf35a04a071e3b292b3ff370782d0e4.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fencig said:

Won this,  Classic RP Eleven War Chariot. Missing the Elves, the standard on pole, and one wheel.

Try and find/buy missing pieces or turn it into a battlefield scene with dead horses, dead elves, Dead Orc's? 🤨

470659593_ElvenWarCharriot.thumb.jpg.7cf35a04a071e3b292b3ff370782d0e4.jpg

Make a cast of the existing wheel and paint it up right!

• Like 3

Congratulations on the win!

I've got that Dragon in the lead mountain somewhere waiting patiently for some paint.

I agree with @Corsair, if you can't find the right wheel somewhere, cast it and go from there.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 3

So looks like no one is confident in my conversion skills for a battlefield scene. 🙂

Not sure about melting and casting Lead, it's too toxic. If I make a wheel it will have to be machined out of aluminum to match the other side. Still leaves the issue of the missing riders . So much easier to just kill everybody

2 hours ago, K2h2m3 said:

The elven chariot is still offered by Iron Wind Metals for $29.95.

yeah i saw that, in Pewter too,

but for 6 bucks i get fee lead poisoning and a restoration project 😁

Edited by Fencig
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Fencig said:

If it is still on the RP/Ironwind site try contacting them about replacement parts.  It's been a few years, but I found them very easy to work with at the time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fencig said:

So looks like no one is confident in my conversion skills for a battlefield scene. 🙂

Not sure about melting and casting Lead, it's too toxic. If I make a wheel it will have to be machined out of aluminum to match the other side. Still leaves the issue of the missing riders . So much easier to just kill everybody

Forget trying to cast the metal. Use some air-dry modeling clay with a thin piece of styrene glued to the back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

If it is still on the RP/Ironwind site try contacting them about replacement parts.  It's been a few years, but I found them very easy to work with at the time. 

Someone on a classic minis FB group got that small Ral Partha Hydra on package but it came with two sets of left heads instead of left-right and IWM provided a replacement for em, so I'm sure they can help out here too.

• Like 2

thanks guys, the fact that this still in production means it's not super collectible, so not sure how much effort i want to put into completing it. Easier just to buy a complete new set

I was only half joking about the battlefield, BUT, just got some really good news in the Reaper diorama contest. So now , after some of my friends artisan Bourbon, I'm starting to think i can pull this off.   

I mean i've seen some really killer dioramas on here before, stuff that just wows me. A mix of existing kits from RP or Thunderbolt mountain or whatever, and a few were scratch built. Bot No One has ever done a battlefield scene.  Why is that?

Sure everyone wants to see the hero charging off into battle, or the bad guys riding to meet them, but why skip the aftermath?  War is only glamorous before it starts, the results are sad and gruesome. I fee like showing that and if anyone knows of examples please share. Closest thing i';ve seen is one called " Narthrax guards her kill" which was amazing. 

I also played around with this idea in a thread on this forum, but it was limited in scope. Not a Grand Orgy of death like I want to do. I mean Dead Elves, Dead Horses, Dead Orcs, wrecked chariots, what's not to like? 😉

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fencig said:

What about using IntsaMold? I picked some up ages ago and haven't gotten around to using it (I am bad at things). However, you just heat the stuff, put it around the part you want to copy, and it makes a mold you can use for green stuff. That's way, way easier than working with metals and, once you paint it, it should be hard to notice.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Fencig said:

No, don't bother melting metal to do it. There are a lot of different ways to make replacement parts. 

Make an RTV mold and use resin. Or use Oyumaru/Intamold and make a copy with Green Stuff.

IMO, if you want to make a (post) battle scene, you ought to use a plastic chariot; the material is easier to  work with so making realistic looking battle damage will be much easier.

• Like 5

On 1/10/2022 at 3:58 AM, Fencig said:

what do you guys think is a fair price for these older , larger Citadels. I see some crazy prices on ebay from UK sellers (connection to games workshop nostalgia?). $10. to $15.  bucks including shipping seem fair?

Keep in mind that many Grenadier Molds were bought by Mirlinton Miniatures and you can buy a lot of these minis for "normal" prices there.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Keep in mind that many Grenadier Molds were bought by Mirlinton Miniatures and you can buy a lot of these minis for "normal" prices there.

One of the notable exceptions seems to be the original Fiend Factory stuff, as least as far as I can tell... Which is probably due to some licensing issue or something, since they have all the Gold Line figures from the small box sets, as well as some of the other larger sets.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2