Bones 5 Learn To Paint Kit

Some questions about the Bones 5 Learn To Paint Kit:

1. The box says the figures in it are Bones, but those figures were all Bones Black in the Kickstarter. So is that a typo?

2. Is there any new information in here that wasn’t in the previous kits or is it just a repeat of those lessons?

Thanks. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists
Guindyloo
This post was recognized by Guindyloo!

Wren was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 10 points.

The figures are the same as those provided in the Kickstarter, Bones Black.

The information about taking care of materials and the technique explanation is largely the same as in the Core Skills kit. The materials info is updated to distinguish between the different kinds of Bones plastic, and I'm hopeful that this updated information will be included in future print runs of the regular kits.

The main technique demo/practice figure allowed me to introduce a little colour variation detailing in the final step that is not in either of the two regularly available kits. 

There is a LOT more colour mixing in the B5 kit. With Core Skills and Layer Up, I chose paints specifically to work on the three miniatures I selected for the kits with an aim to keep things simple for mixing and such. Together the two kits do make a sort of mega starting set of paint colours and brushes, but my aim when making choices for those kits was the instructions first - what would be easiest to explain and execute as projects.

The B5 kit has a lot more figures in it, so the paints were chosen more as a selection of a solid starting set of colours. You can't mix every colour ever with the included paints, but you can mix quite a few. So if you paint through the instructions for the included figures you'll be told ways to make khaki or natural greens even if all you have is bright yellow, green, and black, and a variety of other colours and colour schemes. There's not a lot of explicit information about colour, but if you're a learn by doing person you'll learn more about mixing and using colour working through the projects in this kit than in the others, since that was not a focus for me with those kits.

I think the method I used for doing the finer details like belt buckles and necklaces and stuff is a little different in this kit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By TheOldGuard
      Greetings!

Here is my War Mammoth from Bones V.

This took me what seems like an eternity to complete (I think I started it in winter 2021...). Being a big beasty, I had endless problems with paint rubbing off because I had to handle him a lot (and also, I opted not to prime him...🤦‍♂️) so I was forever doing retouches. I also should have probably painted him in sub-assemblies. Anyway, here he is, ready to stomp, crash & paaaarp!

Thanks for looking!

• By Grand Slam
      I've been working on this guy for the better part of a month and just finished him tonight. He was a blast to paint, and I'm pretty happy with the finished product. The green wrappings could have probably used some more intense highlighting, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Initially, I wasn't a big fan of the vultures (I put them off until the very last phase of painting). But, one I got some paint in them, they grew on me.

• By R2ED
      I haven't posted a piece in the showoff area in a long while.  I mostly put my work in that paint club group, but this one was special and i wanted to share. 

I had this figure staring at me and didn't have a theme in my mind.  Then it hit me that she for perfectly for this conflict in Ukraine.  She's holding her sword up as if the last line of defense.  I created the small base with the fallen shield representing the broken boundaries and fallen defenders.  But atop her hill that represents her country, she calls for aid and stands strong.  May they all stand strong. 

Lady Vigilance and her call to arms. 

• By Evilhalfling
      From first sight I knew I wanted this dragon to be black.  Since it only came transparent, that just meant  a good basecoat. 
      this took a long time with brown liner. 
      huge dragons are huge 

I left the wing membranes clear maybe I will tint them purple or green, 

Day 2-3 

Four layers of paint on belly scales, even though much of it will be hidden by wings . 

now I have decided it needs tail stripes, for visual interest.  Horns look best as bone triad. 
      not sure about fin - this doesn’t wrk… 

last picture is a weirdly  sculpted cut - painted brightly for photo. Doesn’t matter as will be hidden under wing. Repainted it black, so I can ignore it. 

• By Grand Slam
      Golem-palooza continues! I know this guy has been around for a while, but I first got him with the Bones 5 core set. I see a lot of people paint the clothes a different color, and that's definitely a good way to make him more visually striking. But I wanted to go for the "statue come to life" look. The only real pops of color were the color shift blue I used in the eyes (to make him look more magically animated) and bits of light blue in the dry brushing (I didn't go too heavy with it and it doesn't really show up in the pictures). Overall, though, I'm happy with him. Any feedback welcome, as usual.